Brewer Fanatic

Jackie Bradley Jr.

Robert Murray of FanSided reports that the Brewers are "in the mix" with free agent outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

The Astros are reportedly out and the Mets appear to be pivoting with no clarity on the DH, so that leaves room for a surprise team to swoop in. The Red Sox continue to stay in touch, so a reunion remains within the realm of possibility. As of now, the Brewers project to have Christian Yelich, Lorenzo Cain, and Avisail Garcia across their outfield, though there's been at least some degree of trade chatter with Cain. Barring that, we could see a lot of Garcia on the bench.

RELATED: Milwaukee Brewers

SOURCE: Robert Murray on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 12:51 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Trade chatter with Cain?"

Anyone else seen or heard this?

Very interesting.... Obviously, I assume the Brewers would like to be out of the contract. Not sure how much it'd take to sign Bradley, but you'd think it'd net out positive for Milwaukee.

But gotta imagine Cain or Garcia is gone... Can't see Bradley signing here to be a platoon/4th OF.

I dunno. If we're the team willing to give him the requested $10 Million while other teams won't and he's the strong side of the platoon, I could see it happening.

But gotta imagine Cain or Garcia is gone... Can't see Bradley signing here to be a platoon/4th OF.

I dunno. If we're the team willing to give him the requested $10 Million while other teams won't and he's the strong side of the platoon, I could see it happening.

Damn, that would be one expensive platoon... $20 mil, that's unheard of for us!

Damn, that would be one expensive platoon... $20 mil, that's unheard of for us!

Or Cain's opting out again...tho that doesn't seem likely based on current reports.

Or Cain's opting out again...tho that doesn't seem likely based on current reports.

Yea true... Although, I wasnt aware players had that option again this year, I just figured that was a 2020 thing... But I guess it is with the news of Desmond yesterday.

But the thoughts of Wong, Arcia (Although I would rather have Urias starting), Bradley up the middle...... OMG!!!!!!!!!!

This is just total speculation on my part, but I wonder if they started engaging in Cain trade offers when they were negotiating the free agent offer for Justin Turner. Cain is owed $35 million over the next two seasons, so moving his contract would certainly open up some additional financial flexibility.

Not sure there are many options for utilizing that extra flexibility this year, but maybe geared towards next year when there will hopefully be full ballparks again? My total pie in the sky hope (yes, I know it's completely unrealistic and won't actually happen) is that the Brewers end up making a massive multi-year offer for Corey Seager next off-season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

They say that the easiest explanation is often the right one. In that case, the easiest is that the Brewers are kicking the tires on Bradley, but nothing is really going to happen. Second easiest is that Cain is opting out. Which, of the two, may actually be the more logical explanation.

What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That they are telling Adam McCalvy this doesn't really mean anything. They wouldn't blab about something Cain told them in confidence. Actions indicate otherwise. It's not just the interest in Bradley. Derek Fisher signing sort of came out of left field (pun intended) when they already had a similar player in McKinney. The other possibility is that there are teams out there inquiring about Cain.

How about targeting a player that can actually hit. It just makes no sense to me to keep looking at players that add nothing to the offense.

Love it or hate it, but the 2021 Brewers are going to be a pitching and defense team. In that context Bradley makes a lot of sense. The Brewers have 10 games in A.L. parks where they could move play Yelich at DH and have superior outfield defense with JBJ, Cain and Garcia.

Not to mention, with how much Counsell likes to spell his outfielders there will be plenty of at bats to go around. After the three starters the talent of their outfield group is quite suspect with longtime minor leaguer Tyrone Taylor and a couple of former prospects who have been unable to stick previously with multiple organizations: Billy McKinney and Derek Fisher.

Thirdly, the Brewers have Avisail Garcia coming out of contract after 2021 (and unlikely to exercise the 10.75 million dollar club option for '22), and no player close to the majors to take over that spot. JBJ could slot into the starting lineup in 2022 and even slide into CF when Cain comes out of contract.

Finally, Jackie Bradley Jr. is the kind of free agent the Brewers target. Like Turner he is a good all around baseball player. Good defender, has some power, runs well. Similar career numbers to Avisail Garcia also.

This is just total speculation on my part, but I wonder if they started engaging in Cain trade offers when they were negotiating the free agent offer for Justin Turner. Cain is owed $35 million over the next two seasons, so moving his contract would certainly open up some additional financial flexibility.

Not sure there are many options for utilizing that extra flexibility this year, but maybe geared towards next year when there will hopefully be full ballparks again? My total pie in the sky hope (yes, I know it's completely unrealistic and won't actually happen) is that the Brewers end up making a massive multi-year offer for Corey Seager next off-season.

No team is taking on Lorenzo Cain for $35 million dollars and giving up something in return, and the Brewers don't typically include cash in trades. That tells you where Cain will be playing if he plays.

How about targeting a player that can actually hit. It just makes no sense to me to keep looking at players that add nothing to the offense.

You really think Yelich, Hiura, Garcia and Narvaez are gonna be the terrible hitters they were in 2020?

Our lineup has it in them to be very good this year.

I don't know if a Cain trade is all that likely. Like if a team wanted to trade for Cain while taking on a good chunk of the money, wouldn't they just go sign JBJ instead? We'll have to see how serious this interest really ends up being.

I suspect it's more along the lines of Moose/Grandal; we're into spring training, free agent hasn't had the market he expected, Brewers have at least some money (Or Turner wouldn't have been an option), so figure to swoop in. It *could* still mean a Cain or Garcia trade, but I also don't think you can have too may good players. Easily enough playing time to go around for Cain/Yelich/Garcia/JBJ with L/R platoons, rest days, injuries, double switches etc.

This front office is all about value. If they feel like they can get a good player for less than what they reckon he's worth, they'll do it.

What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

The confusing part would be why they are adding so many potential outfielders right now. Are they potentially contemplating moving on from Garcia or Cain in the near future?

It's not that crazy considering our current 4/5 OF options. Who is the leading candidate right now, Derek Fisher? Tyrone Taylor and Corey Ray do not inspire confidence for regular playing time.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

giphy.gif

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You really think Yelich, Hiura, Garcia and Narvaez are gonna be the terrible hitters they were in 2020?

I expect Yelich and Hiura to be much better and don't expect much from either Garcia or Narvaez. You really have to be wearing some Brewers tinted glasses to see this offense being good.

I expect Yelich and Hiura to be much better and don't expect much from either Garcia or Narvaez. You really have to be wearing some Brewers tinted glasses to see this offense being good.

You've been asked repeatedly who you think they should pursue, and still haven't responded. Please let us know who specifically you want them to sign at this point.

Archived