Brewer Fanatic

Fernando Tatis Jr. Extension - 14 years, $340 million

Eye Black
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% opinion

Fixed it for you!

If you can afford to purchase a franchise, you can afford to pay any player. Most owners choose not to take big risks in terms of losing money. It’s still a choice.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

My thoughts don't go to the contract Tatis just signed, they go to the one Ronald Acuna signed last year. There's no way Acuna's agent is getting a Christmas card this year.

Totally different personal circumstances around those contracts. Tatis grew up in a big league household with tons of money. He could gamble and wait for a massive deal. Acuna didn't come from that background and if he got hurt or took a FB to the head and couldn't play again, he's not going to get that payday. It's all about risk of the next contract and Tatis has less risk because of his situation.

Completely false statement

Tatis took money as a 19 year old (I would presume less than $1mil, though I haven't seen a report on what it actually was) from an investment company. A company he now owes almost $30mil from his contract as apart of the deal.

Didn't his dad play 40 years ago and never actually make the majors? How rich can his family possibly be? Regardless, clearly he was so concerned he could flame out and never make money that he gambled a ton of potential future earnings for a small payday at 19.

100% opinion

Fixed it for you!

If you can afford to purchase a franchise, you can afford to pay any player. Most owners choose not to take big risks in terms of losing money. It’s still a choice.

Without actually knowing teams' finances, that's still an opinion.

My thoughts don't go to the contract Tatis just signed, they go to the one Ronald Acuna signed last year. There's no way Acuna's agent is getting a Christmas card this year.

Totally different personal circumstances around those contracts. Tatis grew up in a big league household with tons of money. He could gamble and wait for a massive deal. Acuna didn't come from that background and if he got hurt or took a FB to the head and couldn't play again, he's not going to get that payday. It's all about risk of the next contract and Tatis has less risk because of his situation.

Tatis took money as a 19 year old (I would presume less than $1mil, though I haven't seen a report on what it actually was) from an investment company. A company he now owes almost $30mil from his contract as apart of the deal.

Didn't his dad play 40 years ago and never actually make the majors? How rich can his family possibly be? Regardless, clearly he was so concerned he could flame out and never make money that he gambled a ton of potential future earnings for a small payday at 19.

Fernando Tatis Sr. retired in 2010 after an 11-year MLB career LOL. He also made nearly $18 million in his career.

Tatis Jr.'s grandfather, also named Fernando Tatis but with a different middle name than his son and grandson, played in the minors in the 70's but never reached the bigs (according to the internet's most reliable source, Wikipedia).

With the gradual success of each generational son I fully expect Tatis Jr.'s future son to become the best baseball player in MLB history (half blue). :laughing

Reminds me, speaking of generations of baseball players, saw a tweet a few days ago with a video of Prince Fielder's son, 16 y/o Jadyn, hitting a dinger, accompanied with an apparently slow trot around the bases.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Fernando Tatis Sr. retired in 2010 after an 11-year MLB career LOL. He also made nearly $18 million in his career.

Okay, cool. Doesn't change the fact the statement was completely wrong and stereotyping how well he was set off financially because of how much his parents have. Either his dad has already blown most of his money or raised his kid(s) to earn their own money.

Okay, cool. Doesn't change the fact the statement was completely wrong and stereotyping how well he was set off financially because of how much his parents have. Either his dad has already blown most of his money or raised his kid(s) to earn their own money.

This article indicates that Tatis Jr. didn't exactly have it rough, and that your alluded to stereotype of Sr. blowing through his money is probably not correct as well. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/the-son-also-rises/

I'm surprised Tatis Sr didnt have a better career. But you see his best 2 years were during the end of the Mark Mcguire HR tainted era and traded away the offseason when Albert Pujols hit 37HRs his rookie season. I just remember Sportscenter with Tatis Tattoos HR calls. Probably safe to say Sr was doped up with the Cardinal way during his best 2 years.

It is curious why he would feel the need to accept money from that investment firm at age 19. He was a top prospect going into that year (2018), he had been paid a decent signing bonus of $825k back when he was an international free agent in 2015. So why would he need to get more money and sacrifice a percentage of future earnings? Tatis Jr. did suffer an injury, a broken thumb with ligament damage, in the summer of 2018 that required surgery, maybe that spooked him enough to take that offer. We've seen what thumb injuries have done to players in the past.

I think regardless of his father's wealth, whatever it may be, Jr. was an adult at age 19, had earned just shy of $1 million on his own merit and likely wanted to secure his own financial nest egg independent from his father.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived