Brewer Fanatic

2021 Bullpen

DR28

Figured we should have one of these as well for bullpen talk.

Gonna be fun to watch the bullpen battles this ST.

My prediction for 21 OD bullpen

Hader

Williams

Peralta

Topa

Boxberger

Hardy

Yardley

Suter

Rasmussen (If we go with 9 man pen)

I see Black DFAd and Zimmermann released.

Has there been any confirmation that Peralta is permanently a bullpen arm and NOT a SP a this point?

Not that I'm aware of.... I'm just going off the fact that he's only started 9 games the last 2 years combined and he's pitched much better out of the pen... Guess you would swap Peralta and Houser.

Lots of good arms in the competition. If they go with a 9 man pen I see something like this

Hader

Williams

Suter

Peralta

Topa

Rasmussen

Lauer(to start the season, then once the minor league season starts he goes there to stretch out)

Boxberger

Yardley

What I like about this bullpen construction is the number of players that can be optioned to create flexibility. Bettinger, Bickford, Feyereisen,

File, Lauer, Peralta, Perdomo, Rassmussen, Suter, Topa, Wahl, Wiliams, and Yardley. Even with the longer required stay in the minors rule, they have a lot of players they can shuffle.

Lots of good arms in the competition. If they go with a 9 man pen I see something like this

Hader

Williams

Suter

Peralta

Topa

Rasmussen

Lauer(to start the season, then once the minor league season starts he goes there to stretch out)

Boxberger

Yardley

I agree with this except I think Lauer is optioned right away to get to a 8 man bullpen and then Woodruff-Burnes-Anderson with Houser/Lindblom fighting it out to start or go to the bullpen initially. Unless there is an injury Ray Black sure looks like he will be DFA.

I feel looking at 2021 with a typical season bullpen construction would be a problem waiting to explode in the teams collective face.

With the limited number of inning thrown last season, expecting starters to carry traditional workloads for the entire '21 season is asking for more than normal are related injuries. I suspect only a handful of pitchers across baseball in 2021 will get to 180 or more innings

Some teams are looking at 6 man rotations to address the issue. Others will use piggy-backs (a typical minor league pitching strategy) or have additional multiple inning relievers in the bullpen so those guys could come in during the 4th or 5th inning a game to get 7-8-9 outs.

A lot will come down to pitch counts. If a starter needs 75 pitches to get thru 3 innings, he might not be out for the 4th inning. If the starter can get thru 5 innings at under 90 pitches, he might get to see the 6th inning.

Most clubs will want option flexibility in their bullpen so arms can be moved up & down with AAA in waves if needed.. Some NRI guys might even start in the minors so the decision of a 40 man roster spot can be deferred until the call up is necessary..

I don't know what to make of Peralta but I find it odd that they would pay him $3M/year for junk innings

I tend to agree. Peralta's arm & arsenal could make for a good guy to go multiple innings in 2 outings each week. A solid bridge arm going in the 4th thru 6 or 5th into the 7th could do wonders...

I don’t see Hardy on the opening day roster......not coming off of TJ surgery.

I looked at the date on this post 3 times and re-read it four times and still thought, "JJ Hardy?"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why so much confidence in Boxberger, who has had only one passable 30 inning season (2017) since his career year as closer way back in 2014? I'm skeptical he will make the team at all.

He's the last guy in for me. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't make the squad

I don’t see Hardy on the opening day roster......not coming off of TJ surgery.

I looked at the date on this post 3 times and re-read it four times and still thought, "JJ Hardy?"

I had to look up who Hardy was because I had no recollection of the Brewers signing anyone by that name.....lol

Hader

Williams

Peralta

Yardley

Suter

Topa

Wahl

Black

I am extremely bullish on this pen. If they stay healthy, should be one of the best in baseball.

I've got Rasmussen over Wahl, but other than that I've got the same. I think they give Black at least a month unless he looks really bad in camp.

That last spot could go in a number of different directions, though. One darkhorse that wouldn't shock me: Zack Brown

Maybe not this year, but Aaron Ashby is a name to jot down. I know he is on all the prospect lists but I would not be surprised if he gets called up the second half of the season if all goes well. His hammer breaking ball is pretty devastating, almost like a knuckle curve. It was a year and a half ago since I watched him last but his changeup was pretty good to.

Why so much confidence in Boxberger, who has had only one passable 30 inning season (2017) since his career year as closer way back in 2014? I'm skeptical he will make the team at all.

Putting a guy 8th isn't exactly "so much confidence." I have no confidence in Black and easy enough to add Boxberger and remove Black from the 40 man. However, if things get tight could easily see Wahl or J.P. make the team so there is more flexibility to rotate bullpen pieces between Milwaukee and AAA.

As some of you have mentioned, it is likely that SPs will not be getting many innings this year to prevent injuries. This would be the perfect time and opportunity for the Brewers to stretch Hader out to be a SP. we have Williams, Peralta, Topa, Rassy to take over as the closer and later innings guys. Imagine Hader getting 5-6 innings! With his salary getting higher and higher by the year, having him become a starter would justify the increase in salary. Having Woodtuff, Burnes, and Hader as your 1-3. Yes please.

Come on Brewers... make this happen.

As some of you have mentioned, it is likely that SPs will not be getting many innings this year to prevent injuries. This would be the perfect time and opportunity for the Brewers to stretch Hader out to be a SP. we have Williams, Peralta, Topa, Rassy to take over as the closer and later innings guys. Imagine Hader getting 5-6 innings! With his salary getting higher and higher by the year, having him become a starter would justify the increase in salary. Having Woodtuff, Burnes, and Hader as your 1-3. Yes please.

Come on Brewers... make this happen.

I like this kind of thinking...but Hader just seems made for the pen. Devin Williams, OTOH...

He's the last guy in for me. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't make the squad

Matt Albers made the team in 2018 and 2019. I think veteran presence makes Boxberger a near lock on opening day, but if he shows signs of control issues he's had in recent years, he might be gone by Mother's day.

Matt Albers made the team in 2018 and 2019. I think veteran presence makes Boxberger a near lock on opening day, but if he shows signs of control issues he's had in recent years, he might be gone by Mother's day.

Matt Albers was a better pitcher in the years leading up to the Brewers obtaining him than Boxberger has been recently. He may still make the team, but I think he has to show more than Albers needed to when he was signed.

Albers 2015-17:

KEyeodl.png

Boxberger 2018-20:

scabWsX.png

Albers was signed to a 2 year major league contract that was guaranteed.......Boxberger was signed to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.

I'm not saying Boxberger won't make the team....but his situation is totally different.

Archived