Brewer Fanatic

2021 Lineup

DR28

Another lineup with Wong and Yelich... Wong leading off, Yelich in 3 hole.

Yep, I stand by what I said... Top of our lineup is gonna be Wong, Cain, Yelich, Hiura.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I stand by what I said... Top of our lineup is gonna be Wong, Cain, Yelich, Hiura.

But Hiura hit in the 2-hole the last time Yelich was in the 3-hole so that doesn't really bold well for your theory on lineup construction.

Counsell is overthinking it if he doesn't bat Yelich 2 against righties and 3 or 4 against lefties.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

But Hiura hit in the 2-hole the last time Yelich was in the 3-hole so that doesn't really bold well for your theory on lineup construction.

Counsell is overthinking it if he doesn't bat Yelich 2 against righties and 3 or 4 against lefties.

Still a righty in the 2 hole... That's my point... Yelich is gonna hit 3rd this year.

And counterpoint... he shouldn't. If this team truly uses analytics, it won't happen.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Still a righty in the 2 hole... That's my point... Yelich is gonna hit 3rd this year.

The Brewers have never been a team that worries about alternating LH and RH hitters.

The Brewers have never been a team that worries about alternating LH and RH hitters.

I disagree in that the Brewers don’t worry about alternating lefties and righties in the lineup. They seem to do it very frequently. Once in a great while they will stack a bunch of lefties in a lineup and have 3 of the top 4 be left handed. But I have to disagree. I don’t think Wong was brought in to be a 6 or 7 hole hitter. And I don’t foresee them hitting two lefties at the top of the order for an everyday lineup.

Wong, Cain, Yelich, Hiura makes way too much sense. If Garcia steps up this year, I could see Hiura moving in front of Yelich with Garcia hitting 4th.

If the Brewers aren’t much for alternating LH and RH batters, if Shaw or Narvaez hit very well this season, are you suggesting that they will see significant time hitting either 3rd or 4th directly behind Yelich depending on where Yelich is batting?

I can see them going LRL to start the lineup but I'm not sure Cain is the guy batting 2nd(tbf I'm not sure who that guy is) but in the second half of 2019 and the few games Cain played in 2020 he was batting lower in the lineup rather than the top half

Counsell is still the manager, right? After 10 games we'll have used 10 different lineups.

Right but Wong and Yelich have been 1 and 3 when in the lineup, with a right in the 2 hole.

If Cain hits in the 2-hole against RHP, oofta.

Who doesnt want 2 good OBP guys in front of Yelich and Hiura?

I see where he's coming from as Cain overall is much better against lefties, but his .350 OBP against righties still looks nice near the top of the lineup. Wong's the guy you might want to slide down against lefties. I could see Wong-Cain-Yeli-Hiura vs RHP and then just starting with Cain-Yeli-Hiura vs LHP.

2018-20 vs. RHP:

BYYMOIG.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

qyy9RmU.png

I see where he's coming from as Cain overall is much better against lefties, but his .350 OBP against righties still looks nice near the top of the lineup. Wong's the guy you might want to slide down against lefties. I could see Wong-Cain-Yeli-Hiura vs RHP and then just starting with Cain-Yeli-Hiura vs LHP.

I can totally get behind this... Hope it works out that way.

I don't believe in Cain's abilities moving forward against RHP. It will kill us if we think he is the player he was even two seasons ago. Heck, he might not even get on base enough against LHP but there is hope there. Give your best hitters more at bats = score more runs. This isn't hard.

I don't believe in Cain's abilities moving forward against RHP. It will kill us if we think he is the player he was even two seasons ago. Heck, he might not even get on base enough against LHP but there is hope there. Give your best hitters more at bats = score more runs. This isn't hard.

Right but because you dont believe, doesnt mean that Counsell feels the same way.

Guess we'll see on 4/1 how the lineup shakes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going off the numbers MrAllen posted:

vs RHP

2B Wong (L) .268/.356/.403/.759 107 wRC+

SS Robertson ® .237/.350/.353/.703 102

LF Yelich (L) .309/.410/.608/.1.018 164

1B Hiura ® .274/.344/.552/.896 131

C Narvaez (L) .276/.349/.453/.802 118

3B Shaw (L) .224/.336/.454/.790 109

CF Cain ® .271/.350/.365/.715 95

RF Bradley (L) .247/.332/.446/.777 103

Pitcher

In reality, even though Robertson is probably the better choice at this point in time, we'll likely see Urias at SS batting at the bottom of the lineup, with Cain moved up to #2.

vs LHP

CF Cain ® .318/.390/.472/.862 130

SS Urias ® .337/.373/.500/.873 133

LF Yelich (L) .305/.395/.581/.975 154

RF Garcia ® .274/.347/.459/.806 116

1B Hiura ® .240/.322/.357/.679 77

3B Robertson ® .260/.368/.382/.749 113

C Pina ® .263/.333/.419/.752 98

2B Wong (L) .272/.321/.360/.681 84

Pitcher

We'll probably see something more like Cain-Yelich-Hiura-Garcia, even though Hiura's numbers show he probably should be down in the order vs LHP, and Counsell probably won't put Urias at #2 even though he's killed lefties in his time in the majors. Wong will probably sit against most lefties, with Arcia/Robertson/Urias in some fashion filling SS/2B/3B, but I'd guess if there were a lefty on the mound on opening day, Wong would be out there (and as bad as he is against LHP, he's been better than Arcia).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

How many games are the Brewers going to see a left handed starter? The Cubs have no lefties in their rotation. Wade Miley is the only LH starter in the Reds rotation, the Cardinals have one lefty, Kim, in their rotation, and the Pirates have two in Brault and Tyler Anderson if both are in the rotation. Most of the other NL Clubs such as Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Arizona have one a piece.

The Brewers might see a left handed starter once a week, and there's solid odds that they'll miss at least half of the "tough lefties" in the National League (Kershaw, Snell, Patrick Corbin, Max Fried) with 6 or 7 games against each non-division club.

How many games are the Brewers going to see a left handed starter?

Over the 10 regular seasons from 2010-19, the Brewers saw a total of 431 left handed starters, or about 43 a year.

Low was 34 in 2017, high was 50 in 2010.

With a week to go until Opening Day it looks like BPro has the Brewers projected to score the 16th most runs...

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

While the ATC projections have us coming in 19th...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/atc-2021-projected-standings-and-playoff-odds/

Weird, the entire NL East is projected to be amazing except Miami.

I'm not so sure we are going to be 3rd best in the NL in run prevention unless the defense really picks up the back end of our rotation. That 5th spot especially is looking pretty bad(Houser). I think we'll probably score a bit more than they are projecting. We'll find out real soon.

I'm not so sure we are going to be 3rd best in the NL in run prevention unless the defense really picks up the back end of our rotation. That 5th spot especially is looking pretty bad(Houser). I think we'll probably score a bit more than they are projecting. We'll find out real soon.

Gotta like Woodruff and Burnes at the top and it's hard to complain about Anderson and Peralta at 3 and 4. If you're really only worried about one guy (who still has a chance to be pretty good too) you probably have a pretty good rotation. We have Lindblom, Suter, maybe even Ashby/Small that could step in if things really go south. Heck, Porcello's still sitting out there, maybe MA can stretch the payroll a little bit further still. But I'm willing to take a chance on Houser's low HR/high groundball rate with the improved defense and see if he can finally put things together first. I don't know if anyone else caught Narvaez' interview during the game a few days ago, but he picked Houser as the guy no one's talking about that he expects to have a good season this year. Hope he's right!

Gotta like Woodruff and Burnes at the top and it's hard to complain about Anderson and Peralta at 3 and 4. If you're really only worried about one guy (who still has a chance to be pretty good too) you probably have a pretty good rotation. We have Lindblom, Suter, maybe even Ashby/Small that could step in if things really go south. Heck, Porcello's still sitting out there, maybe MA can stretch the payroll a little bit further still. But I'm willing to take a chance on Houser's low HR/high groundball rate with the improved defense and see if he can finally put things together first. I don't know if anyone else caught Narvaez' interview during the game a few days ago, but he picked Houser as the guy no one's talking about that he expects to have a good season this year. Hope he's right!

Houser is 3... Anderson and Peralta round out the rotation.

Archived