Brewer Fanatic

2021 Lineup

DR28
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I absolutely don't have a problem with guys using video in game. It's technology that has changed the game and it's there, use it, as long as both sides are using it, and pitchers can use video in between innings to see what batters are doing, and use video to make their own adjustments.

I think what a few people are saying is it wasn't a great look for Baez to complain about it the way he did. The grievance should have went to MLB and the players union and be worded "hey, can't we have tablets/ipads in the dugout??"

As others said, 2020 was a weird year for a lot of people. Everybody. Everyone had to adjust not just how they worked, but how they went about day to day life. Apparently, baseball included , Javy Baez. I get it, being a superstar and suddenly hitting .195 because all the tools you had at your disposal aren't there sucks. Find a way to approach the union and the leadership group and say "hey, this is the way baseball is played now, we need our tools back" in a more diplomatic way. IMO of course!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice find! I want to believe. I loved the Urias acquisition at the time and firmly believe that he deserves a mulligan with Covid and the wrist injury. It's also worth noting that even at 700 OPS he's a two win player, and that's the 40th percentile of projected outcomes.

I sincerely believe that Urias has the inside track to be the starting SS, and any noise to the contrary is a combination of not diminishing Arcia's value and happiness and wanted to hedge bets in case things don't go as planned.

Nice find! I want to believe. I loved the Urias acquisition at the time and firmly believe that he deserves a mulligan with Covid and the wrist injury. It's also worth noting that even at 700 OPS he's a two win player, and that's the 40th percentile of projected outcomes.

I sincerely believe that Urias has the inside track to be the starting SS, and any noise to the contrary is a combination of not diminishing Arcia's value and happiness and wanted to hedge bets in case things don't go as planned.

Luis Urias gets a mention in this 2021 Breakout Hitter Candidates article published over at FanGraphs today. Also kind of interesting because it gives percentile distribution on his ZiPS projection...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/szymborskis-2021-breakout-candidates-hitters/

Nice article. Thanks for the link. I hope Urias can produce anywhere near the top numbers.

Luis Urias gets a mention in this 2021 Breakout Hitter Candidates article published over at FanGraphs today. Also kind of interesting because it gives percentile distribution on his ZiPS projection...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/szymborskis-2021-breakout-candidates-hitters/

Nice article. Thanks for the link. I hope Urias can produce anywhere near the top numbers.

Without a doubt and seeing the ST lineup today, Counsell should have a veru consistent and easy lineup card to fill out.

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Shaw/JBJ

Arcia/Urias/Narvaez

Shaw/JBJ

Narvaez/Arcia/Urias

No Cain move up Hiura to 2

Garcia/Narvaez 4

Shaw/JBJ 5

If Narvaez 4-Garcia 6

Garcia 4- Arcia/Urias/Narvaez 6

Shaw/JBJ 7

Whomever left.

No Wong begins Cain, Yelich on down.

Not sure when Yelich is out. Cain-Wong-Hiura-Shaw/JBJ?

Vs RHP do you load Wong, JBJ, Yelich, Hiura? LH RP replace Cain or Garcia for JBJ.

I think the offense will improve quite a bit by JBJ's signing. Really toughens the lineup vs starters both ways.

Love all the lefties we have in our lineup now!!

This is how I see it on OD 2021.

Wong - 2B

Cain - CF

Yelich - LF

Hiura - 1B

Shaw - 3B

Narvaez - C

Bradley - RF

Urias - SS

vs RHP (3 year OPS)

2B - Wong (.759)

CF - Cain (.715)

LF - Yelich (1.018)

1B - Hiura (.896)

C - Narvaez (.802

3B - Shaw (.790)

RF - Bradley Jr (.777)

SS - Urias (.545)

vs LHP (3 year OPS)

CF - Cain (.862)

LF - Yelich (.975)

1B - Hiura (.679)

RF - Garcia (.806)

C - Pina (.752)

SS - Urias (.873)

3B - Robertson (.749)

2B - Wong (.681)

From 2017-2109 Brewers position players averaged about 5,900 PAs a year. Hoping to figure out something like a baseline expectation for the 2021 offense I attempted to distribute those PAs among the 13 players I would break camp with (list below).

That particular player/PA distribution yields about a 753 OPS, a 51 point improvement over last year's 702 mark.

So, what say you, will the Brewers position players post a 2021 OPS closer to the 753 that is roughly projected or the 702 from last season?

PLAYER | PAs | ZiPS OPS

Yelich | 650 | 902

Hiura | 650 | 778

Shaw | 550 | 751

Wong | 550 | 736

Urias | 550 | 736

JBJ | 550 | 726

Garcia | 500 | 756

Cain | 500 | 727

Omar | 400 | 736

Arcia | 350 | 685

Robertson | 350 | 669

Manny | 200 | 688

Vogie | 100 | 810

So, I looked at some numbers:

In Counsell's 4 full years as manager (16-19), only 2 players have gotten 650 PA. Jonathan Villar in 2016 (Chris Carter had 644) and Yelich in 2018.

Yelich has had 76% of his PA's hitting 2nd since he became a Brewer. 6% leadoff, 18% hitting 3rd.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

In Counsell's 4 full years as manager (16-19), only 2 players have gotten 650 PA. Jonathan Villar in 2016 (Chris Carter had 644) and Yelich in 2018.

Yelich has had 76% of his PA's hitting 2nd since he became a Brewer. 6% leadoff, 18% hitting 3rd.

Just remember Braun was around to bat 3rd and Cain leadoff. R-L-R.

Pretty obvious Wong-L will be leading off so Yelich will take over #3.

Just remember Braun was around to bat 3rd and Cain leadoff. R-L-R.

Pretty obvious Wong-L will be leading off so Yelich will take over #3.

Agreed... I see it as Wong-Cain-Yelich-Hiura.

I won't get on board with any lineup that doesn't have Yelich batting 2nd. He is by far our best hitter and needs as many at bats as possible.

Then who leads off?

IMO Wong is our lead-off... I dont see Counsell going Wong, Yelich 1-2... So far in ST when Wong and Yelich have been in the lineup, Wong is in leadoff spot and Yelich in 3 hole.

I won't get on board with any lineup that doesn't have Yelich batting 2nd. He is by far our best hitter and needs as many at bats as possible.

Then who leads off?

IMO Wong is our lead-off... I dont see Counsell going Wong, Yelich 1-2... So far in ST when Wong and Yelich have been in the lineup, Wong is in leadoff spot and Yelich in 3 hole.

Wong against RHP and Cain against LHP

Then who leads off?

Wong against RHP and Cain against LHP

I dont see Wong, Yelich being 1-2... Guess we'll see.

I don't think Wong leads off against LH pitching so the splitting of lefties shouldn't matter too much.

vs. LHP

1. Cain

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

vs. RHP

1. Wong

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

Rinse and repeat.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think Wong leads off against LH pitching so the splitting of lefties shouldn't matter too much.

vs. LHP

1. Cain

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

vs. RHP

1. Wong

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

Rinse and repeat.

Yep, I have faith that Cain will be good against LHP. If Wong must be in the lineup against LHP, he should be 7th or 8th.

vs. LHP

1. Cain

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

vs. RHP

1. Wong

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

Rinse and repeat.

Guess I could see that...

Rest of lineup would be then

Shaw

Cain

Bradley Jr

Narvaez

Urias

No matter what we have to stack lefties if we're starting Yelich, Wong, Bradley, Shaw, & Narvaez. There is no way to split them all up. Wong Yelich as 1/2 seems the best way to do that since Yelich is fine against lefties

No matter what we have to stack lefties if we're starting Yelich, Wong, Bradley, Shaw, & Narvaez. There is no way to split them all up. Wong Yelich as 1/2 seems the best way to do that since Yelich is fine against lefties

Yep good point... Lineup could be perfectly balanced until Bradley addition... Which I love BTW! Bradley/Garcia platoon will be very productive.

Wong

Yelich

Hiura

Shaw

Cain

Bradley Jr

Narvaez

Urias

I really like that!

vs. RHP

1. Wong

2. Yelich

3. Hiura

4. Bradley Jr.

5. Shaw

6. Urias

7. Narvaez

8. Stupid Pitcher

9. Cain / Garcia

vs. LHP

1. Cain

2. Urias

3. Yelich

4. Hiura

5. Garcia

6. Pina

7. Arcia

8. Stupid Pitcher

9. Wong

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived