Brewer Fanatic

2021 Lineup

DR28

I must say with the addition of Shaw, I really like our lineup heading into 2021.

This is how I see our 2021 OD lineup.

Vs RHP

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Shaw

Garcia

Narvaez

Urias

Vs LHP

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Garcia

Urias

Pina

Arcia or Robertson

Really, really like that balanced lineup vs RHP and a lot of power 3-7!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VS RHP

If Shaw makes the team as the starter at 3B

Wong

Yelich

Cain

Hiura

Garcia

Shaw

Narvarez

Urias

VS LHP

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Garcia

Wong

Pina

Urias

Arcia

I don't think Wong is going to be sitting very much, even against LHPs. Yelich is going to be the two-hitter. That's where the best player is put in a modern-day lineup and will get him the most AB's with runners on.

No way Urias is the starting SS on opening day. You might think he'll end up being better than Arcia but he's not there now and if he is, they'll want to maximize Arcia's trade value.

He absolutely can... Better spring, he's the starter.

VS RHP

If Shaw makes the team as the starter at 3B

Wong

Yelich

Cain

Hiura

Garcia

Shaw

Narvarez

Urias

VS LHP

Cain

Yelich

Hiura

Garcia

Wong

Pina

Urias

Arcia

I don't think Wong is going to be sitting very much, even against LHPs. Yelich is going to be the two-hitter. That's where the best player is put in a modern-day lineup and will get him the most AB's with runners on.

Don't know about that, why wouldnt you put Yelich in the 3 hole so he can make it 3-0 with a HR or 2-0 with a base hit? You put two good on base guys in front of him so he can drive them in.

No way Urias is the starting SS on opening day. You might think he'll end up being better than Arcia but he's not there now and if he is, then he'll play 3B.

We'll see once the games start, but the recent quotes from Stearns seem to indicate that Urias is going to be given every opportunity to win the job outright.

I won't believe Cain is a top 2 in the order guy until I see it. I really hope he can just hold his own down in the 7-8 spot, possibly 9 if we get the DH.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No way Urias is the starting SS on opening day. You might think he'll end up being better than Arcia but he's not there now and if he is, then he'll play 3B.

Not much of a bar. Arcia is terrible.

But they'll battle it out in the spring, and I expect Urias to win that spot, at least in a part-time role. I think Urias will play all over and play a lot.

Don't know about that, why wouldnt you put Yelich in the 3 hole so he can make it 3-0 with a HR or 2-0 with a base hit? You put two good on base guys in front of him so he can drive them in.

It's baseball. Your best hitter is in the 2-hole. That's pretty much the way every team does it. I'm sure there is some science and reasoning behind it.

It's baseball. Your best hitter is in the 2-hole. That's pretty much the way every team does it. I'm sure there is some science and reasoning behind it.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/strategy/batting-order-sabermetrics/

3 hole is the 4th best hitter in the lineup.

No way Urias is the starting SS on opening day.

Urias probably would have been the opening day SS last year if it wasn't for breaking his hamate/getting Covid.

Assuming he's healthy this spring I'd imagine he gets every opportunity to win the job.

We know the front office is analytically driven & ZiPS projects Luis (90 OPS+, 2.1 WAR) better than Orlando (80 OPS+, 1.0 WAR) for 2021.

I'd guess the Brewers own internal projection system spit out similar results.

The 2 hole hitter gets rough 20 or so more at bats throughout the season so your giving more at bats to your best hitter while also keeping him in a run producing spot. Also after the first time through the order there isn't much of a difference between the 2 & 3 spots in the lineup. As well the player who bats third statistically has the most at bats with nobody on base and 2 outs. Analytically speaking the 3rd hitter is actually the 5th most important spot in the lineup.

All that said though lineup construction means very little and at most is worth maybe 1 win over the course of a season

My take:

Vs RHP

1. Wong - Good signing

2. Yelich - is he back?

3. Hiura - K's a lot

4. Shaw - Scary thought here in the 4-hole

5. Garcia - Same here

6. Narvaez - And here

7. Cain - And here

8. Urias/Arcia - And here

Vs LHP

1. Cain - Good vs. LH

2. Yelich - Has to be counted on

3. Hiura - Reverse splits?

4. Garcia - Has to produce something

5. Urias - Smashed LH, maybe move up if Cain flops

6. Pina - Has to play against something

7. Wong - BA is there, power zapped against LH

8. Arcia - Good times...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This team could use Braun and the universal DH and all of a sudden, their lineup looks okay. It at least shuffles a few down a peg in the lineup.

vs. RHP

1. Wong- 2B

2. Yelich- LF

3. Hiura- 1B

4. Vogelbach/Braun- DH

5. Shaw- 3B

6. Narvaez- C

7. Garcia- RF

8. Urias/Arcia- SS

9. Cain- CF

vs. LHP

1. Cain- CF

2. Yelich- LF

3. Hiura- 1B

4. Braun- DH

5. Garcia- RF

6. Urias- 3B

7. Wong- 2B

8. Pina/Nottingham- C

9. Arcia- SS

And this doesn't take into consideration Green, Robertson, Fisher and co.

Not sure quite where to put this but are we sure Pina will be the backup catcher? Nottingham is out of options and he's been ok in the majors

We're not sure, but the mere fact that he was tendered a contract would suggest it. Manny is an elite defender, and Nottinghams decent-looking offensive numbers so far are basically all due to a good HR rate, but one that based on his minor league numbers, HR/FB rate and statcast data seems unsustainable. Add to that a 35% strikeout rate. Basically, I think Piña offers both better defense and offense.

But I also think they'll not make their decision until they've seen what they look like in spring; it could still be Nottingham. I suspect they'd want to keep both though. I think they'll try to sneak Nottingham through waivers at the end of ST.

Not sure quite where to put this but are we sure Pina will be the backup catcher? Nottingham is out of options and he's been ok in the majors

We're not sure, but the mere fact that he was tendered a contract would suggest it. Manny is an elite defender, and Nottinghams decent-looking offensive numbers so far are basically all due to a good HR rate, but one that based on his minor league numbers, HR/FB rate and statcast data seems unsustainable. Add to that a 35% strikeout rate. Basically, I think Piña offers both better defense and offense.

But I also think they'll not make their decision until they've seen what they look like in spring; it could still be Nottingham. I suspect they'd want to keep both though. I think they'll try to sneak Nottingham through waivers at the end of ST.

Definitely possible. I think Nottingham might actually be the favorite. He's super cheap for a few years yet and seems like he'd be a fine backup catcher. But I won't be surprised either way

This thread has convinced me the Brewer's lineup is worse than I thought. Hard to believe that Shaw gets signed and is just thought to be the #5/#6 hitters against righties by default. Shaw has slashed .190/.309/.350/.659 against righties over the last two seasons. Arcia has posted .234/.288/.367/.655 over the same timeframe.

I sure hope the Justin Turner follies did not tie up money when better lineup options may have been available.

Even though Urias' numbers against righties are far, far worse...I still have the feeling that he will be the third baseman heading into the season and Robertson or Shaw will have to beat him out for playing time. Stearns just invested way, way to much in this guy to not give him the first opportunity to play everyday. I wouldn't mind seeing him at shortstop but the Brewers still seem enamoured with Arcia. Can't really blame the Brewers for that at this point as Arcia finally showed some promise last year.

This thread has convinced me the Brewer's lineup is worse than I thought. Hard to believe that Shaw gets signed and is just thought to be the #5/#6 hitters against righties by default. Shaw has slashed .190/.309/.350/.659 against righties over the last two seasons. Arcia has posted .234/.288/.367/.655 over the same timeframe.

I sure hope the Justin Turner follies did not tie up money when better lineup options may have been available.

Even though Urias' numbers against righties are far, far worse...I still have the feeling that he will be the third baseman heading into the season and Robertson or Shaw will have to beat him out for playing time. Stearns just invested way, way to much in this guy to not give him the first opportunity to play everyday. I wouldn't mind seeing him at shortstop but the Brewers still seem enamoured with Arcia. Can't really blame the Brewers for that at this point as Arcia finally showed some promise last year.

I don't know why anyone would think this lineup is anything but terrible. How many games last season did the team get no hit for at least the first 5 innings. Yelich and Hiura should both be much better but besides that I don't see much to get excited about.

Wong is a great defender and he should have a decent OBP but he doesn't make a poor lineup much better and I expect nothing from third base. I suppose Garcia and especially Narvaez could be better but I don't expect much from either.

This is going to have to be a pitching and defense led team becuase the offense is probably going to be amongst the worst in the league. It also doesn't help having the worst hitting coach in the sport but Stearns chose to retain Haines anyway.

I mean 1/4th of the lineup didn't play for us last year (Wong & Cain) and have been pretty good hitters with higher OBP's over the course of their careers. But yes, same scrubs...

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/strategy/batting-order-sabermetrics/

3 hole is the 4th best hitter in the lineup.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read....... So all the teams around the league that have star hitters in the 3 hole, are doing it wrong I guess.

Hmmm ok then.

I would be interested in seeing how many teams have their best hitters in the 2-hole vs. 3-hole or leading off.

I mean 1/4th of the lineup didn't play for us last year (Wong & Cain) and have been pretty good hitters with higher OBP's over the course of their careers. But yes, same scrubs...

And our MVP hitter and best young hitter were both in prolonged slumps. Yes if Yelich and Hiura hit like last year this team will struggle. If they hit close to normal and so do Wong and Cain and honestly Garcia and Narvaez for that matter - this lineup will be much improved. Literally everyone seemed hit below their career averages. This lineup depends on Yelich being an all-star and Hiura being close to it. That isn't out of the question and feel quite possible. If Garcia and Narvaez bounce back then all the sudden this lineup will be solid.

Archived