Brewer Fanatic

Derek Fisher Traded to Brewers

Eye Black
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27-year-old former top prospect with crazy tools who actually hit well in a small sample size in 2020. What's not to like about this?

Agreed. He hits the ball very hard, has improved his launch angle over the past two seasons, and is one of the fastest players on the current roster.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Think he was dfa recently? Thinking we found our new Ben Gamel only cheaper.

Whole heartedly agree. I like Taylor as a backup but seems like there a chance atleast that they may have something here. They do need to figure out what to do with ray. At some point he has to come up here to see what he can do. Atleast there will be competition for the 2 backup OF spots

They do need to figure out what to do with ray. At some point he has to come up here to see what he can do. Atleast there will be competition for the 2 backup OF spots

I prefer he stick around for trade scenario throw-ins.

He must be abysmal defensively to have a +.800 OPS and a negative WAR

Fisher2.gif

Apparently that’s not the only misplayed flyball he’s had hit off his head/face according to a Blue Jays report on his DFA.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

He must be abysmal defensively to have a +.800 OPS and a negative WAR

Fisher's 2020 consisted of 39 PAs & 90 innings in the field, pretty miniscule samples.

For his career Derek has posted a +2 DRS/+0.7 UZR in 1,023 innings in the field.

I think there’s still enough upside to have a little hope that Fisher turns into a good major leaguer.

He has interesting reverse splits (has a .783 OPS versus LHP in MLB).

Someone joked after the Robertson signing about the Brewers staff clinging to a 5 year old copy of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, and it is sort of funny they’ve added several once well regarded prospects that are now in their mid-to-late 20’s over the past year (i.e. McKinney, Vogelbach, Robertson, and now Fisher).

The splits while appearing positive is based on 25 total hits. His best batting split is when a man is on 1st. A high EV who beats the ball in to ground with a 1b covering. Probably explains this along with higher babip from that side.

But on flip side maybe looking at the low BABIP vs RHs as bad luck. His triples are vs LHs another aid on that OPS vs them when so few hits.

I think there’s still enough upside to have a little hope that Fisher turns into a good major leaguer.

He has interesting reverse splits (has a .783 OPS versus LHP in MLB).

Someone joked after the Robertson signing about the Brewers staff clinging to a 5 year old copy of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, and it is sort of funny they’ve added several once well regarded prospects that are now in their mid-to-late 20’s over the past year (i.e. McKinney, Vogelbach, Robertson, and now Fisher).

The splits while appearing positive is based on 25 total hits. His best batting split is when a man is on 1st. A high EV who beats the ball in to ground with a 1b covering. Probably explains this along with higher babip from that side.

But on flip side maybe looking at the low BABIP vs RHs as bad luck. His triples are vs LHs another aid on that OPS vs them when so few hits.

Looking back at his minor league stats he seems to have fairly even splits on average. At minimum he seems to hit lefties better than most left-handed hitters of his caliber.

Head scratcher.

I think you're reading too much into it, as it's nothing more than a virtually no-cost flier. May see something they feel they can work with him on or something. If he fails, meh.

I think McKinney & Fisher are typical 40-man fringe guys who amount to depth pieces. And if something better comes along, they're possibilities for trying to slip through waivers to get 'em down to the AAA roster. At the end of ST, if they don't make our Opening Day roster, there's a good chance at least one if not both gets to Nashville since the waiver wire gets flooded with guys like this.

They do need to figure out what to do with ray. At some point he has to come up here to see what he can do. Atleast there will be competition for the 2 backup OF spots

I prefer he stick around for trade scenario throw-ins.

1. Nobody is going to trade for Ray even as a flyer. At least Fisher tore the cover off the ball in the minors, to justify a team taking a flyer. Corey Ray has been hurt all the time, and his statistics from when he has played are not good, and this from an advanced college player.

Which leads to “figuring out what to do with Ray”. It’s easy they don’t have to do anything. This is because Ray hasn’t done a thing to earn a promotion to the majors, and barely has gotten his feet wet in AAA in the five years since he was drafted.

3. As for Fisher, he’s just a depth guy. Better numbers than McKinney who also is a lefty and out of options. Those two guys are likely vying for a 5th outfielder spot after Tyrone Taylor.

With the open 40 man spots the Brewers can afford to do this and have a competition for the 4th/ 5th outfield spot. Some of these spots will open up again when they don't make the team. Kind of wishful thinking one of these former high draft picks will break out in their late 20s though.

The Brewers are quickly becoming a who's-who of failed former Top 100 prospects from the 2015-2018 prospect era. I do think that grabbing a bunch of these guys is more fun that grabbing a bunch of Eric Sogards like they did last year, though. There's still some upside in guys like Fisher, McKinney, Robertson, Lopes, Green, Cozens and Reyes. It's going to make following Spring Training very intriguing.

Fisher2.gif

I'm sure the ball just got in his eyes. :laughing

I remember someone on my high school team doing this exact thing.

The difference was the guy who did it was an exchange student from Sweden and didn't know what baseball was until he joined the team.

Taijaun Walker probably thinking he needs a job and would sign with any team, except the one team that has Derek Fisher on the roster.

Think Lorenzo Cain watches that and says he's made more gaffes in 4innings than I have my entire career?!! I think Bartolo Colon would play OF defense better than that 4Innings.

Taijaun Walker probably thinking he needs a job and would sign with any team, except the one team that has Derek Fisher on the roster.

How is it possible to play as much baseball as Fisher has, become a top prospect, and be so awful in the OF? Those plays aren't exactly the most challenging that OF face (e.g. line drive right at you, diving catch away from the batter's box). Hopefully, he spends A LOT of time with Cain during ST.

Any player will look bad if you highlight their worst errors. Stats suggest Fisher is actually an average-ish defender in the OF, and in fact all of his bad stats (in limited sample sizes) are when he was playing CF/RF versus his normal LF. Maybe he's just a guy who can't adjust right away to playing "out" of what he is comfortable with. His LF stats are actually quite good in 739 innings.

We actually gave up something for this guy. I know this is the worst he's looked but he looks really bad and it's not even like this is a bad sequence of several games. It's all the same game.

Archived