Brewer Fanatic

3B Trade Targets

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan, I get wanting to go trade for Matt Chapman or Jose Ramirez or hope we sign Justin Turner. The reality is that we would get outbid in terms of prospects for the first two and money (and the lure of home and legacy) for the last one.

Your options are Shaw, Lamb, Gyorko, Franco, Frazier...and they have already stated they were going to give time to Urias. Robertson has the most remaining upside of the group mentioned and Shaw is insurance against him bombing. Reality is any of those other guys can likely be had via trade for a lottery ticket prospect come June if Urias, Robertson and Shaw are all bombing.

My solution was trading for Arenado and paying him and Yelich a combined $50m per year for the next 6 years. That is unfortunately not reality in MLB economics.

What was the realistic 3B that would have made people happy?

Even if Shaw somehow reverted to 2017, which we can all hope for, he’s a stopgap. The organization badly needs a top young prospect or good young MLB player for 3B. We are likely looking at this same situation next winter too.

I understand the theory of going after up the middle talent in the draft and Latin signings. The theory is some of those guys can fill out and end up on a corner. Heck Gorman Thomas and Ryan Braun were SS’s as amateurs. But the problem is we haven’t actually drafted a SS who profiles as a kid who is growing into a 3B. We have Turang, Garcia, Zamora and Cantrelle, all good prospects. But I don’t see any at 3B.

Jesus Parra might be a good 3B but that’s an unknown right now.

At the end of the day 3B is not up the middle, but it takes a unique skill set. You need quickness and decent range, a strong, accurate arm, and some pop. It’s a tough skill set to find and I hope we prioritize it better. My guess - we totally will. Scott Rolen’s don’t grow on trees.

If we can make a deal, Jordan Groshans and Brett Baty are a couple of prospects who profile well at 3B and who’d be great to acquire if we can figure out how to do it.

The rays always fart out infielders so they still have extra. With Lowe and Wendle as 2B/3B starters, I wonder if Mike Brosseau or Yandy Diaz are available for a decent price

Highly unlikely... Both are RHH of platoons... Yes they traded away Snell but Rays are still going after it, they arent blowing everything up.

Yes they are still useful as part of platoons but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t trade them or are irreplaceable to TB. Snell was still part of the rotation and they still traded him. They surely would consider trading their 4th best 2B/3B for the right return

Why do we need a LH 3B? We need someone who is going to produce or someone who has the POTENTIAL to develop into a producer. Would have much rather just gone and spent the 3 million on some other pitcher to add. Wouldn't have even hated adding to the bullpen for 3 million over Shaw. Guy strikes out more in clutch situations than anyone.

It's prospects week at FanGraphs and the article below included some of the mid-tier 3B prospects I mentioned on the first page of this thread, and one I had originally listed, but deleted (Hudson Potts, Red Sox). Again, the idea wasn't for guys that would necessarily be in the majors this season, but rather trying to build up a little bit of an organizational reserve at the third base position.

FanGraphs Article: Mid-Tier Hitters I Like

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.

Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.

I think it's a little bigger than "his defense is in question", though. Andujar is an atrocious defender. I know that the DH will eventually be adopted in the NL, but the Brewers have to be careful how many "bat first, no D" type players they acquire. Hiura is moving to 1B, but his long-term spot is probably DH. Yelich already doesn't have a great arm in the OF, so he might be a DH in waiting as well.

I think it's a little bigger than "his defense is in question", though. Andujar is an atrocious defender. I know that the DH will eventually be adopted in the NL, but the Brewers have to be careful how many "bat first, no D" type players they acquire. Hiura is moving to 1B, but his long-term spot is probably DH. Yelich already doesn't have a great arm in the OF, so he might be a DH in waiting as well.

Agreed completely. I think Andujar is a bat that would be intriguing for the Brewers, but he's not a 3B. I view him similarly to JD Davis, another popular name in trades, in that they're really 3Bs in that they played there in the minors, but that they project elsewhere in MLB.

I think we have our guys that will man this position already. I think You will see a combination with Shaw, Arcia, and Urias with a possibility of a guy like Robertson or Green. I don't want a butcher at any position. Hiura hopefully can be serviceable at 1B or we need to move on from the guy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

In 1992 Pat Listach Was ROY. How'd that end up for Milwaukee?

That season by Andujar was above his norm in the minors. In other words an outlier.

Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.

Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.

In 2017 between AA and AAA he hit .315/.352/.498 and only fanned 71 times in 522 PA

He followed that up with .297/.328/.527 in the big leagues with only 97 K's in over 600 PA

He missed almost all of 2019 with a shoulder injury.

Contact hitter with power is a rare combination. Sure he doesn't walk a lot in part because he puts the ball in play. Those guys are valuable as run producers who can get a guy in from third with less than two outs. I don't think the question is whether he can hit, it's if his shoulder is healthy enough for him to play third. He did play there in half his games in the Dominican Winter League this winter.

All the questions brought up simply lower his trade value especially buried as he is in the Yankee depth chart.

In 2017 between AA and AAA he hit .315/.352/.498 and only fanned 71 times in 522 PA

He followed that up with .297/.328/.527 in the big leagues with only 97 K's in over 600 PA

Contact hitter with power is a rare combination. Sure he doesn't walk a lot in part because he puts the ball in play. Those guys are valuable as run producers who can get a guy in from third with less than two outs. I don't think the question is whether he can hit, it's if his shoulder is healthy enough for him to play third. He did play there in half his games in the Dominican Winter League this winter.

All the questions brought up simply lower his trade value especially buried as he is in the Yankee depth chart.

He hasn't been very good at 3B in the majors and hasn't hit well in 2 years. There has to be a reason the Yankees can't peddle him.

He hasn't been very good at 3B in the majors and hasn't hit well in 2 years. There has to be a reason the Yankees can't peddle him.

You basically just proved my point, so...thanks?

Archived