Brewer Fanatic

3B Trade Targets

So Turner is gone which means we're back to going the Gyorko route or just going with some sort of Robertson/Urias combo...unless we can trade for a legit 3B. So who's out there? Edwin Rios is an obvious trade candidate now that he's blocked by Turner for the next two years. I can't imagine the Dodgers being all that interested in our prospects so would it take a Hader trade to get him? Guys like Matt Chapman and Jose Ramirez don't appear to be on the block right now, but maybe they will be at the deadline if their respective teams are out of it. Maybe a guy like Austin Riley from the Braves who don't appear to be completely sold on him? Or Luis Arraez from the Twins? Anybody else out there that I'm missing who would be a viable trade candidate?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why would we do RHH/RHH platoon... Both DRob and Urias crush lefties, should be Robertson at 3rd and Urias at SS (He should be our everyday SS).

Need to find a lefty bat, give me Lamb and call it good... Lamb and Robertson would be a good platoon.

Otherwise trade for Kyle Seager.

Or just give Gyorko the everyday 3B job.

But why would we do RHH/RHH platoon... Both DRob and Urias crush lefties, should be Robertson at 3rd and Urias at SS (He should be our everyday SS).

Need to find a lefty bat, give me Lamb and call it good... Lamb and Robertson would be a good platoon.

Otherwise trade for Kyle Seager.

Or just give Gyorko the everyday 3B job.

This is exactly where I'm at as well. I wouldn't mind Urias seeing some time at 3B, but it makes no sense to make him and Robertson the shared 3B. They either need to sign a guy who they feel comfortable playing their every day, or find a LHH to platoon with one of Urias or Robertson.

I like the Kyle Seager idea. He should be pretty inexpensive in trade capital, and they can probably get the Mariners to kick in on some of his salary to boot.

While Edwin Rios (LAD) was mentioned, Sheldon Neuse was not.

Neuse was the up & comer for Oakland (blocked by Matt Chapman) & he was dealt to LAD on 2/12 as part of the 4 player trade. While Neuse might not be the interesting target, his presence now with LAD might make it easier to be acquired or make it easier to get Rios..

Seager is owed $18.5 this year and if traded $15 next year. Left handed hitter with decent power and OBP. Could you get the Mariners to pay $13 million of that? 2 years $20 million would seem to work for a power hitting left handed bat. Tide us over until we find/develop a young 3B.

To get Rios, Brewers might also have to take Joe Kelly so the Dodgers can get under $250 million. I'm not opposed to that. I'd love Kelly as the 7th inning guy. Another way the Dodgers can get under $250 million would be to deal Pollock for Garcia but i don't see them doing that. I'd take Seager from the M's too if they eat half his salary.

I would gladly take on Kelly with Rios. We shouldn’t have to give up much going that route.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My biggest disappointment for the Brewers over the past year is that they haven’t really attempted to get any younger third baseman in their organization. The Dodgers made as many trades on Friday as the Brewers made in all of 2020. Included in the Dodgers two trades was one where they netted 26-year old 3B prospect Sheldon Neuse. Neuse is the exact type of player the Brewers should be adding in hopes of finding their next longer-term solution to their 3B issues. I wish the Brewers would trade for a couple of 3B prospects in order to try to develop one into their future solution at the position.

The Brewers currently have a long-term 3B problem. Even if Robertson has a massive breakout this year, he’s only under contract for 2021 and there is no guarantee the Brewers would be able to keep him. I am a believer in Urias, but he is a middle infielder, not a third baseman.

Here are third baseman between 22-26 years of age that the Brewers should be interested in trading for that in many cases could be obtainable:

Kevin Padlo, Rays, age-24

Report/Reasoning: Ranks as the Rays #18 prospect according to Baseball America, but would likely be top ten in the Brewers system. Average 3B defender with an above average arm. Is someone who struggled early in his career, but has now shown the ability to develop into a true slugger (“the power is real” according to Baseball America). The Rays have Mike Brosseau and Joey Wendle to play at 3B, so Padlo, who is on the 40-man roster, is reaching the point it’s time for the Rays to either give him at bats or ship him to another team to fill a different need. If the Rays instead want to give Padlo a chance then he is someone redundant with Brosseau.

Davis Wendzel, Rangers, age-23

Report/Reasoning: Good defensively. Offensively controls the strike zone and makes quality swing decisions. He currently ranks in the mid-teens in the Rangers organization and their top prospect is Josh Jung who is also a 3B, so he could be obtainable.

Tristin English, Dbacks, age-23

Report/Reasoning: Probably the most unheralded prospect of those named thus far. English is built big and strong, and has shown an ability to hit the ball with a compact swing. He isn’t high up prospect lists (just #23 on the Dbacks list), but he reportedly has good actions at 3B and possesses a monster arm. BA thinks he’s good enough defensively to stick at 3B. He’s actually played around the diamond thus far in his professional career, so he also offers some defensive versatility. He is the exact type of player I wish the Brewers had in their system right now.

Dodgers as a 3B trade partner

The Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches. As mentioned they traded for Sheldon Neuse this week who would’ve been an excellent Brewers target. They already had three third baseman among their top-10 prospects.

Edwin Rios, age-26 (turns 27 in April and is the Dodgers #7 overall prospect per Baseball America) now moves to a backup role and a LHH off the bench. If the DH does come to the NL they should be able to find more at-bats for him.

Kody Hoese, age-23, projects to be a solid future third baseman and is a well-rounded hitter. He is the Dodgers #4 overall prospect according to Baseball America. I would be over the moon if the Brewers found a way to acquire Hoese as their potential future at the position (not for 2021, but a play that could pay off for the future).

Miguel Vargas, age-21, from Cuba, Vargas is the Dodgers #9 overall prospect by BA’s rankings. He isn’t exactly proven and would be riskier than the others mentioned. He projects to have line drive power to the gaps and should rack up plenty of doubles. I don’t think the Dodgers would move him or the Brewers would be as interested, but I wanted to point out just how overflowing the Dodgers are with 3B prospects.

Rockies as a corner infield trade partner

Similar to the Dodgers, the Rockies have a ton of intriguing corner infield prospects. At 3B they have the following, but they may view one of them as the heir apparent to Nolan Arrenado. The Rockies in addition to having 3B prospects have several 1B prospects as well. The Brewers haven’t made a trade with the Rockies since 2004, but if they do ever figure out each other’s phone numbers I think a match could be made.

Colton Welker, age-23, is somewhat of a liability defensively, but is projected to have a very good bat. He held his own as a 21 year old at Double-A, and might not be too far away from the majors. He is the Rockies #7 overall prospect.

Aaron Schunk, age-23, is a former 2nd round pick out of Georgia and probably a player the Rockies would be less inclined to part with since he’s more of an all around player than Welker and has the versatility to play 2B as well.

There are plenty of more possibilities out there as well, but the primary point is I would like to see the Brewers make an attempt to add these type of players to their own system, otherwise third base is going to be an internal black hole for awhile.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Brewers currently have a long-term 3B problem. Even if Robertson has a massive breakout this year, he’s only under contract for 2021 and there is no guarantee the Brewers would be able to keep him.

Unless there is some language in his contract making him a free agent on expiry, Robertson should be arbitration eligible for 2022 and 2023. Still not a true long-term solution, but at least not just a 1-year stopgap.

Some interesting names you mention there. Generally I think that's a good strategy to adopt, trying to find the potentially blocked prospects, or casualties of 40-man crunches etc. Many of them won't have some big breakout of course, but even many that don't will still be useful platoon bats, middle relievers, utility guys etc for very little money. I think teams are getting better at not letting these guys go for (almost) nothing though, and better at identifying which of them to keep, so probably not easy to do.

Turner or a trade were our only real chance to pick up a fulltime 3B to fill that spot. Anyone added at this point is likely to platoon or mitigate the risk in whatever we have between Urias, Robertson, and Green. With that said, I think people are still viewing this as some sort of "black hole" in the roster, and it really isn't. Yes, there's risk because they're unproven (hence it'd still be nice to get a versatile veteran player to help), but we have young, talented options for that spot.

So if we're not going to add a proven All-Star to fill 3B, I don't think we can expect to add someone without a fair amount of warts at this point. With that in mind, a left handed bat would compliment those players well, and someone that can be a bit versatile on defense would help. Which leads to a pretty nice fit for a Shaw return.

But, with all that said, it certainly would be more exciting if we swung a trade for a Rios or Seager or someone we're not even considering. I just don't think it's *necessary* and possibly it'd be a better use of resources to get another arm in the rotation instead.

Edit: Forgot we still have Mark Mathias in the mix as well (of course another righty). Looks like we might have a good old fashioned Spring Training battle at 3rd this year!

Just sign Shaw. Highest upside. Power bat. Backup at 1B/3B. Fan favorite. Won’t cost much. I literally see no downside.

Downside would be the mind games that come with coming back to the Crew. The unfortunate reality is that if he gets off to a bad start, the local media... and fans... are going to roast and question him just like his last year here.

Just sign Shaw. Highest upside. Power bat. Backup at 1B/3B. Fan favorite. Won’t cost much. I literally see no downside.

Downside would be the mind games that come with coming back to the Crew. The unfortunate reality is that if he gets off to a bad start, the local media... and fans... are going to roast and question him just like his last year here.

My point about downside is he is not being signed as the starter. He’s being signed as an insurance policy to Urias/Robertson. Anyone thinking he’s coming back as the 2017-2018 Shaw is not understanding the signing.

I would have been interested in Neuse for the Brewers. Maybe the FO wasn’t interested since they picked up Robertson as a right handed bat and they want a lefty hitter.

Idk they’ve missed out on plenty of good LHH 3B.

Just feels like they arent making any more moves.

I wonder if the Dodgers would do this:

Brewers receive: Rios, C.Santana, Price and $10m

Dodgers get: Quero and the Brewers 2021 competitive balance pick.

Rios gives the Brewers a good 1B/3B now and Cristian Santana in 2019 did this in AA as a 22 year old .301/.320/.436. If it takes taking on Price's salary to get Rios and Santana sign me up because I think Santana could be a very special player at 3B for years to come.

If the Brewers can't get Rios, how about Mike Brosseau from the Rays. Projected .796 OPS and good power. The Rays have an abundance of infs. and he wouldn't be expensive to get. Young and controllable for years.

Trade our comp pick for him.

If the Brewers can't get Rios, how about Mike Brosseau from the Rays. Projected .796 OPS and good power. The Rays have an abundance of infs. and he wouldn't be expensive to get. Young and controllable for years.

Trade our comp pick for him.

Why would the Dodgers give up a major league player for a Competitive Balance Draft Pick? They’re system is already the best in the game and they’re built to win now.

Archived