Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner to re-sign with Dodgers

Eye Black
The Dodgers just officially announced the signing of JT. They waited until the start of ST so they could place Caleb Ferguson on the 60 day DL (TJ surgery last September) as they had no additional spots on their 40 man roster to do so earlier without DFA'ing or releasing someone.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I give Buehler the benefit of the doubt, I got the sense he was trying to be playful but the tone came out wrong which is why he deleted it. I really don't think he was seriously trying to insult the Brewers or their fans. To him it's real easy to see it as of course Turner wasn't going to leave the Dodgers unless the Dodgers left him first, which just about everybody except the most delusional of Brewers fans knew anyway.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Who cares? If the Brewers had the better offer, Turner would be a Brewer. Not many professional players sign contracts because of the team’s legacy or prestige. Buehler knows that, or should. Money talks and at the end of the day Turner got more money from LA than Milwaukee would’ve paid him

I can't think of one single instance in Counsell's 6 year managerial run where he has ever ordered a beaning, and there have been some very deserving circumstances.

He's just not that kind of manager and it's just not happening.

The best revenge is winning. I hope the Brewers take plenty of revenge on the Dodgers, especially in the playoffs.

Who cares? If the Brewers had the better offer, Turner would be a Brewer. Not many professional players sign contracts because of the team’s legacy or prestige. Buehler knows that, or should. Money talks and at the end of the day Turner got more money from LA than Milwaukee would’ve paid him

It's really not this simple, because the Brewers did make a very similar offer to the Dodgers. In fact, when you consider California's very high taxation on professional athletes, I find it very likely that the Brewers offer would have resulted in a higher net salary than what he's getting. Just not higher enough. A player like Turner who has made plenty of money in his career and is comfortable somewhere isn't likely to spurn $17M, hypothetically speaking, just for an extra $1M a year to go to Milwaukee. Money does matter, but in these instances the difference needs to be more than modest to matter.

It's really not this simple, because the Brewers did make a very similar offer to the Dodgers. In fact, when you consider California's very high taxation on professional athletes, I find it very likely that the Brewers offer would have resulted in a higher net salary than what he's getting. Just not higher enough. A player like Turner who has made plenty of money in his career and is comfortable somewhere isn't likely to spurn $17M, hypothetically speaking, just for an extra $1M a year to go to Milwaukee. Money does matter, but in these instances the difference needs to be more than modest to matter.

If the Brewers are arguing as a selling point that rates of taxation are lower in Wisconsin than California, it means they likely didn't offer the most money. Plus, professional athletes pay income tax in ALL the states where they play/"work" further diluting any significant tax advantages.

There was a quote from Aramis Ramirez when he signed with the Brewers to the effect, "I play baseball games for money, they offered me the most money, so here I am". I'm sure lifestyle, quality of the team, etc. are factors considered by free agents in deciding where to play. However, at the end of the day they hardly ever trump dollars.

Archived