Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner to re-sign with Dodgers

Eye Black
This felt like a Mark Attanasio special. Not sure we should expect them to allocate the money they were willing to spend on Turner on other FAs. Not saying they won't sign more players but I'm expecting sub $5 million 1 year deals to fill out the roster. Hope I'm wrong.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Ken Rosenthal:

Largest guarantee for a free-agent position player 36 or older in first year of deal since Victor Martinez’s four-year, $68M contract with Tigers in 2014. Potential value for Turner is $48M over three years if option is exercised, $52M if he hits escalators tied to MVP voting.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

From Ken Rosenthal:

Largest guarantee for a free-agent position player 36 or older in first year of deal since Victor Martinez’s four-year, $68M contract with Tigers in 2014. Potential value for Turner is $48M over three years if option is exercised, $52M if he hits escalators tied to MVP voting.

Absolutely not the kind of contract we should even be considering but fact is Turner was never signing with the Brewers.

He would have been nice to add to the lineup but tying up those resources are just something that can’t be done.

Like others have said, too rich and hopefully we will pivot for a pitcher. On top of that, there are still other FA’s out there that could end up with good seasons for us. Just had to be the right fit sometimes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't care if they have to shut down the sport for a year for it to occur but we desperately need a salary cap.

I posted this type of sentiment a week ago or so. The current economics just do not make any sense. I’ll take a strike if it can be fixed. Hell, even just some improvements would be lovely.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Pivot. As much as he would’ve been great in Milwaukee, I wouldn’t have loved the contract that was required. Plan B in effect.

What's everyone's Plan B? Spend on starting pitching? Grab another 3rd baseman? Shaw? Franco? Lamb? Gyorko?

Sign Paxton, let Urias run with the 3B starting job, and sign one of the lower-tier 3B left as insurance/backup. They all have warts. Gyorko might be the best remaining but he has reverse platoon splits to what would be ideal. Franco might be good, but he might be looking for a guaranteed starting job?

If they want Urias to focus primarily on SS, then the only guy left who seems like a credible everyday 3B is Franco.

I don't care if they have to shut down the sport for a year for it to occur but we desperately need a salary cap.

The time has passed for that to be a possibility and the large market teams are not going to allow this to happen along with the players union. The best chance for a salary cap to have been implemented in baseball was during the 94-95 strike and the large market teams basically said screw it and threw in the towel and I doubt they were ever seriously behind a salary cap that they supported in 94.

The only way for a salary cap now to happen is if the economics of baseball shifts and both the small and large market teams are no longer able to support the salaries of the players. This maybe coming as I don't think the TV deals once they expire for some of these large market teams are going to be as big as they have been in the past. I just don't see a salary cap happening in MLB unless there is a major financial collapse for the large market teams. The small and mid market teams are basically fighting both the large market teams and the players union and they just don't have the leverage to get a salary cap implemented.

As much as I wanted Turner that is just a little bit too much to be giving someone at that age. I would rather have a combination of Odorizzi and Lamb/Gyorko/Shaw than Turner. If the Brewers could have gotten turner at 3/$45 then I think that would have been fine but anything more than that and that is just above the risk level that the Brewers could take on.

I think we are over rating our pitching.

Relief pitching is great, no concerns there.

Starting pitching though? Woodruff and Burnes (assuming we get 2020 Burnes) are top notch 1 and 2 guys...

What do we have after that? 3 question marks to round out the rotation but nothing more. We need 5 guys to fill a rorttion, and having 3-5 being what we have, I don't see that as being a strength.

We can't win the division with a crappy line-up, 2 good/great starters, and an excellent bullpen.

The line-up part is going to kill us. How do we intend to score runs when the 3-5 are starting?

Our starting pitching is going to have to put up a lot of 0's if we intend on winning. Our 1 and 2 can probably do that, but days when our 3-5 are starting, and we can't score runs due to our horrid offense, we aren't going to win a lot of those games. How do we intend on scoring runs when Woody and Burnes pitch? They may shut down the other team, allow 2 or 3 runs, but that might be all it takes to beat us on most days.

I think it is great you guys have a positive attitude and can be optimists, but I'm a realist, and there is no way this line-up is going to score enough runs to get us to the post season.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

It would be nice if we made a move to improve the offense. Its great having a good pitching staff for once but I just don't see us scoring nearly enough to contend.

So you said ... a few minutes ago!

Too bad difference of opinion is not allowed according to you. Not everyone can carry the water for the franchise as you do regardless of what moves this team makes.

It would be nice if we made a move to improve the offense. Its great having a good pitching staff for once but I just don't see us scoring nearly enough to contend.

So you said ... a few minutes ago!

Too bad difference of opinion is not allowed according to you. Not everyone can carry the water for the franchise as you do regardless of what moves this team makes.

Wasn't carrying any water. Was questioning the ultra repetitive nature of all your posts.

I guess "realist" and "pessimist" are synonymous when you're a Brewer fan, huh?

Depends on how you look at it. I view realism and pessimism as too different things.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I guess "realist" and "pessimist" are synonymous when you're a Brewer fan, huh?

Depends on how you look at it. I view realism and pessimism as too different things.

You shouldn't question anything the team does. Just wave your pom poms and convince yourself that the front office and ownership can do no wrong or you are not a real fan according to a few.

I think we are over rating our pitching.

Relief pitching is great, no concerns there.

Starting pitching though? Woodruff and Burnes (assuming we get 2020 Burnes) are top notch 1 and 2 guys...

What do we have after that? 3 question marks to round out the rotation but nothing more. We need 5 guys to fill a rorttion, and having 3-5 being what we have, I don't see that as being a strength.

We can't win the division with a crappy line-up, 2 good/great starters, and an excellent bullpen.

The line-up part is going to kill us. How do we intend to score runs when the 3-5 are starting?

Our starting pitching is going to have to put up a lot of 0's if we intend on winning. Our 1 and 2 can probably do that, but days when our 3-5 are starting, and we can't score runs due to our horrid offense, we aren't going to win a lot of those games. How do we intend on scoring runs when Woody and Burnes pitch? They may shut down the other team, allow 2 or 3 runs, but that might be all it takes to beat us on most days.

I think it is great you guys have a positive attitude and can be optimists, but I'm a realist, and there is no way this line-up is going to score enough runs to get us to the post season.

Adrian Houser throws hard, strikes out close to a batter an inning, 2.5:1 K:BB ratio. What’s not to like?

Linblom struck out more than a batter per inning, 3:1 k:bb ratio, and generally kept the ball in the ballpark, if he could be more efficient with his pitches he could be a real tough customer.

I’ll give Lauer a mulligan with a shoulder injury and Covid. Plus they’re still likely to bring in another veteran arm like Zimmerman to push for the 5 spot.

Back to Turner, it's a bummer, but something I always expected. Figured the Brewers were being used as a pawn, and it appears they were. But at $17 million a year over two years, that is really steep. Granted ... not my money, but dang, that is much richer than I anticipated. I figured 2 years for around $26-28 million max.

[sarcasm]I too root for the owners to pocket more money![/sarcasm]

The truth is there is absolutely nothing preventing Mark A from signing any player he wants to. We have about the same payroll now that we did in 2014, with money basically being given away with 0% interest rates.

Having a salary cap would do nothing to entice better players to come to Milwaukee. In fact it would probably make us less competitive in FA. As we've seen in the NFL and QBs, why would a team like the Brewers tie up a large chunk of their capped payroll on one player? We probably would not have signed Yelich with a salary cap. We'd probably be doing the same dumpster diving we currently are doing and hope we can get a career year out of a Brock Holt or Eric Sogard. And teams like the Pirates would continue to just have a team consisting of minimum salary guys.

As for Turner, it seems clear we were just used to get more money from the Dodgers which is a bummer. Hopefully this is another wake up call to the FO that either they understand that prices have gone up or that they need to double their efforts to develop our minor leaguers better so we don't need to rely on one year band aids. Hopefully someone like Lamb and/or Franco are able to have an outlier year for us this year.

Sorry to derail the Turner thread.

The NFL is not without its warts, but I've truly come to appreciate their competitive balance. It is something that no other sport has been able to achieve.

Market size is irrelevant to winning. Dynasties are extremely rare and those who build then truly earn it. Likewise most perennial doormats put themselves in that situation and didn't get there by being outspent.

By the way, the other great thing about baseball is the Dodgers won't officially announce the Turner signing until Wednesday because that's the day they can clear a 40-man roster spot by putting one of their injured pitchers on the 60-day IL.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seeing a lot of posts here and on social media about a salary cap. That’s never happening, the players’ union won’t allow it.

What baseball really needs is revenue sharing. Larger markets get more money on their TV deals because they are located in populous cities. That’s it. It’s not like they earned it on their own.

But they have to play someone. No one is tuning in to watch 162 Dodgers intrasquad scrimmages. The whole league is a single product, so spread the TV/streaming revenue more equitably. If you want to dictate teams’ payrolls, combine that with a salary floor - which would get the players’ union on board.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived