Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jordan Zimmermann

Eye Black
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't complain about taking a flyer on him, but I can complain that we still have not really addressed 3B and another arm in the rotation that we know will be better than what we have. A #3 basically... We signed a guy who might be able to play 3B, but we will have to find out as the season progresses. It's not a plan, it's a wing and a prayer.

We desperately need a 1B, 3B and rotation help, so we sign a 2B, and move our 2B to 1B, even though he has never logged a single inning at the position.

We seem to think that after Burnes and Woodruff, someone will just step up to fill 3-5. Our 3-5 is garbage. People will disagree with that, but we are throwing out garbage.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We desperately need a 1B, 3B and rotation help, so we sign a 2B, and move our 2B to 1B, even though he has never logged a single inning at the position.

As a long-time Brewers fan, how could you possibly be surprised that they went this route? That move was about as Stearns-esque as it gets. I mean, when has this team's front office ever made the predicted or obvious move?

As a long-time Brewers fan, how could you possibly be surprised that they went this route? That move was about as Stearns-esque as it gets. I mean, when has this team's front office ever made the predicted or obvious move?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just fed up with this off season, as a long time Brewers fan.

Look at what LA and SD have done! Seriously, just take a long hard look at what those teams will be fielding, and what we will be throwing out there.

It just saddens me to think that as baseball fans, who love our team, we just will be unable to compete for a World Series birth. It is just as close to impossible as it gets.

Well, at least we aren't the Pirates.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just fed up with this off season, as a long time Brewers fan.

Look at what LA and SD have done! Seriously, just take a long hard look at what those teams will be fielding, and what we will be throwing out there.

It just saddens me to think that as baseball fans, who love our team, we just will be unable to compete for a World Series birth. It is just as close to impossible as it gets.

You're correct. The Brewers' big move this offseason – Wong – would be a pocket change move for the Dodgers. MLB's financial structure sucks. It has for awhile. But it's not going to change anytime soon. It's gotten to the point where, as a Brewer fan, you have to almost hope for teams like the Dodgers to suffer major injuries or have a bunch of underperformers for any hope to have them come back to the field of other teams, including the Brewers.

That's why, as a Brewer fan, I guess you just have to enjoy the ride of the regular season, but the deck is severely stacked against them come playoff time. It is what it is.

In the last ten years the Brewers have won 776 games and been to the post season 4 times. The Padres have won 686 games and been to the playoffs once.

Prospect laden teams like the Padres accumulate those players from a years of futility. The Brewers don’t have any of the games top prospects because they’ve been mostly competitive for the last decade and we’re picking it n the middle or towards the back of a draft where there are no sure things and very few outside the top five or ten picks.

As a fan, I don’t really want to invest my surplus time in a team that is obviously outmatched and playing for the future. For teams that are more reliant upon game day revenue than the major media markets it’s bad for business to have a team that isn’t competitive.

I think the Brewers have done an excellent job keeping their team competitive in their division. They’ve always moved to improve the roster during the season when on field performance has warranted it. As a fan who could realistically want more

Not every team can compete for the World Series every year. There are going to be waves of contention, especially for a team like the Brewers, and for the most part this has been a fun, competitive team under MA and DS. They were one game from the World Series just three years ago. It's not impossible! And while this year's team doesn't look like it'll be a World Series contender, it does look like it can compete in the division and has a serious shot at making the playoffs again.

In the last ten years the Brewers have won 776 games and been to the post season 4 times. The Padres have won 686 games and been to the playoffs once.

Prospect laden teams like the Padres accumulate those players from a years of futility. The Brewers don’t have any of the games top prospects because they’ve been mostly competitive for the last decade and we’re picking it n the middle or towards the back of a draft where there are no sure things and very few outside the top five or ten picks.

As a fan, I don’t really want to invest my surplus time in a team that is obviously outmatched and playing for the future. For teams that are more reliant upon game day revenue than the major media markets it’s bad for business to have a team that isn’t competitive.

I think the Brewers have done an excellent job keeping their team competitive in their division. They’ve always moved to improve the roster during the season when on field performance has warranted it. As a fan who could realistically want more

to your first point, so what? I'm concerned with the here and now. The Brewers team that we will be fielding in 2021 is almost like a AAA team in comparison to LA and SD. I don't care that we have made the playoffs 4 times to SD 1. Let's see where that shakes out in the next 10 years... The deck is stacked against us, obviously, it just gets frustrating.

I am thankful that we have had success recently, but looking at the LA and SD teams, it is deflating to see what we are up against both financially and physically.

Staying competitive is great, and far better than not being competitive, but if we can't have real World Series aspirations, it takes some of the air out.

Isn't there a Vent thread where this should go instead of cluttering up several other threads with it?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

to your first point, so what? I'm concerned with the here and now. The Brewers team that we will be fielding in 2021 is almost like a AAA team in comparison to LA and SD. I don't care that we have made the playoffs 4 times to SD 1. Let's see where that shakes out in the next 10 years... The deck is stacked against us, obviously, it just gets frustrating.

I am thankful that we have had success recently, but looking at the LA and SD teams, it is deflating to see what we are up against both financially and physically.

Staying competitive is great, and far better than not being competitive, but if we can't have real World Series aspirations, it takes some of the air out.

I think your passion is clouding your logic. The Brewers are going to be a pitching and defense team in 2021, this is especially so with the signing of Wong to play 2B. The Brewers bullpen doesn't take a back seat to anyone in the NL. Their rotation may not have the star power of Los Angeles or San Diego, but nobody would say that Woodruff or Burnes are clearly outclassed by Snell, Darvish, Kershaw, Buehler etc. They certainly will be competitive for their Division title, and as we saw in the NLCS in 2018 anything can happen in a 7 game series, or as in the 2019 WC game where the team that had a once in a blue moon comeback against the Brewers went on to win the title.

In professional sports, talent costs money and there is an uneven playing field in baseball. That is why the clubs from the major media markets have won the World Series 14 out of the last 17 years. There's no reason to blame the Brewers for frustration with the system.

In fact, despite not spending as much for talent as the teams from the major media markets, Milwaukee has really talented roster. Any of their projected nine starters would have a major league contract by next week if they were released today. Look no further than the Brewers teams of the 1990s to see how that has changed over time. Those teams were laden with AAA level talent and washed up veterans. And again, spending big gobs of money doesn't guarantee post-season success as the Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, can attest to.

It is easy to clamor for a team to go "all in" because of the instant gratification. The reality is, not many do it because it generally results in a painful aftermath, especially if going "all in" doesn't result in a title. Look no further than the Padres, they owe 3 players close to 400 million dollars. They are "all in" and if they can't get by the Dodgers those contracts will strangle them as their young bloods like Tatis, Lamet get increasing more expensive forcing them to make some hard decisions. Further, the Cubs went "all in" and while they did win the title they are now breaking up their team to save money and have traded away tomorrow's starters and they appear to be looking at some lean seasons coming up.

After hearing that they talked to him about this last season, and they've been in on Wong all off-season, I think they realized that Hiura wasn't a second baseman and went into the offseason with the thought of moving Keston to first base. In that case, signing Wong is a big win.

I think with third base, they're going to either "go big" or stick with what they have, as the alternatives aren't much better than what they've got. Going big would obviously be Turner, and Attanasio has been called in, meaning that signing him would push them over budget so it needs the owners' stamp of approval.

That leaves pitching, where we have a solid 1-2, but could use another starter. If we sign Turner, there won't be any money left over, so someone like Zimmerman could compete for the #5 spot as a veteran innings-eater. If we don't sign Turner, then it'd be great if we could find a reliable middle-of-the-rotation guy to slot into the #3 spot. The top three guys still out there look to be Jake Odorizzi (MLBTR projected 3 years/$39M), James Paxton (proj 1 year / $10M), and Taijuan Walker (proj 2 yr / $16M).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...
it should be noted that because zimmermann is a player with at least six years of service time who finished the 2020 season on a major league roster or major league injured list, his minor league contract requires an opt-out clause or a retention bonus if he isn't added to the major league roster before opening day.

Archived