Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Villar

Like many on this forum, I’m a lifelong Brewers fan ... I started following them when I was 10 - I will be 60 this Spring. I’ve been loyal to the Brew Crew in good days & bad days.

There may be a reason other than his awkward transition off the team a few years ago, but why has Jonathan Villar not been mentioned as a potential short-term 3rd base option for the 2021 Brewers?

Am I missing something? Every option to fill this gaping hole at 3rd has imperfections. I remember well the base running nightmares with Villar & if I recall correctly, his poor on base average. But he seems to have fared well after his departure. Could he not offer some offensive upside and adequate defense for this season?

Turner is my preferred choice - even at 36 ... but I wonder if he is even open to any team other than the Dodgers. I also like Franco. I see Villar as a viable option too.

Help me understand why he hasn’t been mentioned by anyone as a potential candidate to play 3rd base for the Brewers this year.

To put his defense at 3rd into perspective:

- He hasn't played there in 5 years, and prior to that he had a UZR/150 of -27.4 over 429 innings played at the position (UZR reference: https://library.fangraphs.com/defense/uzr/)

- Since 2002 (the furthest back I could get data for UZR on FanGraphs), of the 288 players that had at least 400 innings played at 3rd, his UZR/150 of -27.4 comes in 284th

- Dead last on that list? Ryan Braun with a UZR/150 of -42.8

Totally taking his lack of defensive skill at any position and little league baseball instincts out of the equation, at his best he's a slightly above average hitter. Most likely he puts a below average offensive season. Unless it's a minor league deal there's just no reason. Give someone else a shot.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Mets have agreed to sign infielder/outfielder Jonathan Villar.

Heyman writes that the deal is worth $3.55 million and carries additional incentives. Villar was linked to the Reds in recent days, but the Mets swooped in with a major league deal. He's expected to serve in a super utility role for New York. The 29-year-old switch-hitter batted just .232/.301/.292 over 207 plate appearances between the Marlins and Blue Jays last season, but he has experience between the infield and outfield with proven base-stealing ability. It will be interesting to see if he sees part-time at-bats at second base, with Jeff McNeil seeing some time over J.D. Davis at third against right-handers.

RELATED: New York Mets

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Feb 9, 2021, 9:02 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hmmm, another team that doesn't have a need for Justin Turner now.... I don't see who's left besides us and the Dodgers.

The Braves continue to be mentioned. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they don't want to give Austin Riley the chance to run with the job. He's supposed to be the "next big thing" at the hot corner.

Hmmm, another team that doesn't have a need for Justin Turner now.... I don't see who's left besides us and the Dodgers.

The Braves continue to be mentioned. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they don't want to give Austin Riley the chance to run with the job. He's supposed to be the "next big thing" at the hot corner.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind talking Riley off their hands if they don’t want him.

Riley has to play 3rd now, Ozuna is the everyday LF with the news of no DH in NL this year.

The Braves Austin Riley and the Nationals Carter Kieboom are two players I get the sense their organizations aren't as high on as the overall baseball community.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

What I couldn't believe is that Baseball Prospectus had Villar ranked as the 7th best baserunner in baseball in 2019. I thought that couldn't be right. So I went and checked the same stats in 2016 when Villar had his best season as a Brewer but still always looked completely lost when running the bases. In 2016 he finished #769 out of 818 players. So there is one aspect of Villar's game that has definitely improved since his time as a Brewer.

Archived