Brewer Fanatic

Shin-Soo Choo [Brewers reportedly interested]

With no DH this makes no sense or means Keston is as good as gone. You don't sign a near 40 year old to take the large side of a platoon with your best young hitter.

Or maybe they’re truly concerned their “best young hitter” has struck out in nearly 40% of his at bats. If he can’t get it under control, he won’t stay a starter

Hiura has 192 Ks in 594 PAs, a 32.3 K%.

If he has struck out nearly 40% of the time he has also struck out nearly 25% of the time.

I don't understand why many of the "experts" aren't bemoaning Choo because he is only Hiura's height and therefore not a good fit to play 1B. Plus he has never played anything but the outfield and that too would totally disqualify him as a 1B.

With no DH this makes no sense or means Keston is as good as gone. You don't sign a near 40 year old to take the large side of a platoon with your best young hitter.

I think that when some posters here say “platoon,” they mean that there is a lefty and righty at a position, and not the traditional meaning where one always plays vs LHP and the other always plays vs RHP.

If I’m wrong, then a lot of people think Hiura, Garcia and Urias should be sitting around 80% of the time so that a random “trash heap” pick up can start just because he’s left handed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think that when some posters here say “platoon,” they mean that there is a lefty and righty at a position, and not the traditional meaning where one always plays vs LHP and the other always plays vs RHP.

If I’m wrong, then a lot of people think Hiura, Garcia and Urias should be sitting around 80% of the time so that a random “trash heap” pick up can start just because he’s left handed.

I agree with this sentiment. Maybe we should be saying "Player A compliments Player B" well because of their splits. If you're picking someone up to be the backup at a position, it makes sense if they can cover some of the starter's weaknesses.

Whatever else you say about Counsell, he tends to use his whole roster and get guys plenty of PAs. (Sometimes more than some of us would like.) Every winter I wonder how they're going to use the roster they put together, and every year they manage to do it. If they bring in Choo, I have no doubt that we'll see the usual Counsell mixing and matching and get him and Hiura plenty of playing time. The big question is who will be the guy we'd rather not see out there that mysteriously ends up with 300 PAs.

Also, it seems like the brain trust really wants some runners on base this year.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread can be locked down too...

As first reported by Tae Woo Kim of SPOTV in South Korea, free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has agreed to a contract with the Shinsegae Wyverns of the KBO.

Kim notes that the Shinsegae Wyverns, formerly the SK Wyverns, got a "lukewarm reaction" from Choo when they contacted him about possibly playing for the club at the end of the 2020 MLB season, but obviously things changed as the winter trudged along. He officially signed Tuesday morning -- South Korea time -- on a deal said to be worth $2.4 million. Choo batted just .236 with a .723 OPS in 127 plate appearances last season for the Rangers and turns 39 years old this summer, so the MLB free agent interest was probably limited.

SOURCE: Tae Woo Kim on Twitter

Feb 22, 2021, 8:51 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived