Brewer Fanatic

Shin-Soo Choo [Brewers reportedly interested]

Brewers are reportedly interested in Choo to play first base.

From Robert Murray:

Free-agent outfielder Shin Soo-Choo has been working out at 1B with the goal of increasing his versatility. Choo has hit .289 with an .883 OPS against RHP in his career. A few National League teams are keeping tabs on him.

Brewers among teams interested in Shin Soo-Choo. They’re looking at him at 1B.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

2018-20 vs. RHP:

sVwMpif.png

2018-20 vs. LHP:

YbWTtZo.png

I hadn't realized (or forgot) Hiura had such dramatic reverse splits to this point. Makes the 1st base possibility with Choo seem a little less necessary as he seems like more of a platoon partner possibility for Garcia. But if he can play first as well then he does pretty much make Vogelbach unnecessary (unless there's a DH).

Regardless, he would definitely be another nice bat to throw into the mix!

Stearns loves lefty bats. Heck, you could probably take a look at free agent lists every year, and if a player has a lefty stick, it's a good bet that the Brewers are going to express interest. Wouldn't surprise me to see them still express interest in guys like Josh Reddick, Nomar Mazera, Brian Goodwin, Brad Miller, Travis Jankowski, Jake Lamb, or even a Ben Gamel reunion.

He’s always been a little underrated in my opinion. Good player, will be turning 39 mid season. I imagine he won’t garner a ton of interest, but a Choo/Hiura platoon at first with Choo being able to be the 4th outfielder/spot starter and Hiura getting some time at second base too, they would have a ton of different ways to mix and match the offense to get who they want in the lineup.

Choo would be a great addition to this team. I’m really starting to get excited about what this offense can do! If we sign Choo and bring in Turner, we will be the favorites in the NL Central. Man I hope we pull this off!

Oh man, I just love Choo. He was a great player and I remember one series the Brewers played against the Indians where Choo looked like a one-man wrecking crew.

Unfortunately it appears that his defensive skills have eroded to the point where he shouldn't be in the field at all. His performance really fell off with the bat last year as well. I wouldn't be all that shocked if Choo would post something like a .260/.340/.420/.760 next year but how much is that really worth when adding in a big negative for the fielding?

I'm sure this will irritate a lot of people, but here goes. Other than the lefty bat/righty bat factor, signing Choo is probably pretty similar to signing Braun. And if I had to pick between the two, I would go with Choo simply on the basis that I find him much more likable than I do Braun.

Could be good value. I don't think this has anything to do with Hiura. I think it has to do with Stearns predicting that there's going to be an NL DH, and if there is our in-house options are really not adequate.

With no DH this makes no sense or means Keston is as good as gone. You don't sign a near 40 year old to take the large side of a platoon with your best young hitter.

I don't think they are. He'd be an experienced lefty bench bat. Maybe get a start at 1B or in the OF once a week. Otherwise he's a cheap pinch hitter. There's no way he'd be in a straight platoon with Hiura.

right, then he shouldn't be marketed as a 1B... The original post makes it sound like that would be the intent of the Brewers, having him at 1B.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

right, then he shouldn't be marketed as a 1B... The original post makes it sound like that would be the intent of the Brewers, having him at 1B.

Guess I didn't read it that way. I assumed that "they are looking at him at 1B" means exactly what it says, that they asked if he'd be willing to play 1B. The team loves versatility, and if Choo can play competently over at 1B, it gives them a versatile bench bat. I suppose it also mitigates a potential disaster if Hiura proves he cannot play there, but that wasn't where my mind went first.

With no DH this makes no sense or means Keston is as good as gone. You don't sign a near 40 year old to take the large side of a platoon with your best young hitter.

Or maybe they’re truly concerned their “best young hitter” has struck out in nearly 40% of his at bats. If he can’t get it under control, he won’t stay a starter

Or maybe they’re truly concerned their “best young hitter” has struck out in nearly 40% of his at bats. If he can’t get it under control, he won’t stay a starter

40% is just stunning! And you're right, this is a make or break year for Keston. Either he learns to adapt or the team has whiffed on another 1st rounder.

Whiffed on a 1st rounder? He’s made it the the major leagues and contributed. There was no whiff.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived