Brewer Fanatic

Ozuna to Braves - 4 years/$65M

adambr2

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ozuna was awesome last year. 18 HR in 60 games. .338 OPS. 1.067 OPS. Those are huge numbers.

Of course, no one expects that kind of production. But even if he hits .270 and pops 30 HR, it's pretty awesome for $16M a year. They guy is 30, so he should still have a least another couple of years of quality production. With all that, they can live with his defense.

Comparing to cain is a bit silly because they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum on defense.

Who compared his play to Cain? I merely pointed out that their contract terms are very similar which is a fact.

Cain contract: 5-years, $80 million ($16 million AAV)

Ozuna contract: 4-years, $65 million ($16.25 million AAV) with a 5th year option for $15 million which would make it 5-yr/$80 mil

One other thing to keep in mind is Ozuna he dealt with shoulder problems for a couple of years that affected his play. If the Braves believe he’s past that (and they should know better than anyone on his current health), then this is a fine deal.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Helps this is his age 30 season. With Ozuna you can bank on having some of his peak left and a good chance he produces the entire deal. When you sign a guy like Cain the deal is a big question mark before the ink even dries. With Cain you sign him hoping he gives 3 decent years and 2 competent ones...however it could have started off a disaster right away.

There is risk with Ozuna, but many reasons he got this kind of deal. He probably could have taken a 1 year deal and if he repeated his .900 area OPS he would be looking at a $100mil+ deal. This could end up a steal for the Braves.

Community Moderator

I love watching Ozuna hit. His swing is so violent. He was squaring up everything in the zone last year. It's a good time for the Braves to spend money to keep up with LA.

Also, he produced this all-time great lowlight:

A couple extra points to consider:

1) The Braves have a handful of OF prospects on the verge so if Ozuna has issues with health or defense, they can to an internal option.

2) The Braves & many other teams (cough Brewers cough) are counting on the DH coming to the NL with the new CBA or sooner. If Ozuna is unable to perform in the field, that DH slot can be very helpful as the contract progresses.

I love watching Ozuna hit. His swing is so violent. He was squaring up everything in the zone last year. It's a good time for the Braves to spend money to keep up with LA.

Also, he produced this all-time great lowlight:

That ranks up there with the ball bouncing off Canseco's head...

Good stuff.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos told reporters that Marcell Ozuna will be the team’s everyday left fielder this season.

Anthopoulos also said that the reunion with Ozuna came together in one day. With spring training less than two weeks away, and zero indication that the National League teams will have a designated hitter this season, Ozuna will be forced to occupy a corner outfield spot in Atlanta. The 30-year-old slugger agreed to a four-year, $65 million deal to remain with the Braves earlier this week after posting a robust .338/.431/.636 triple-slash line with 18 homers across 267 plate appearances last season. He's a certifiable offensive force, but has struggled defensively, appearing in the outfield just 20 times last season, and grading out as one of the worst defenders in the entire game from an advanced metrics standpoint. He’d benefit tremendously if MLB elects to implement a universal designated hitter this spring.

Feb 6, 2021, 12:32 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Alec bohm is not a burner by any stretch either. This isnt quite as embarrassing as the link above, but it's close. The braves should probably be counting on him for DH duty for the last 3 years of this horrendous deal...

It continues to be unimaginable that Ozuna (and to a bit lesser extent, Yelich) have Gold Gloves to their name. I think it proves that no one actually watched those late 'teens Marlins teams actually play baseball.

Alec bohm is not a burner by any stretch either. This isnt quite as embarrassing as the link above, but it's close. The braves should probably be counting on him for DH duty for the last 3 years of this horrendous deal...

It continues to be unimaginable that Ozuna (and to a bit lesser extent, Yelich) have Gold Gloves to their name. I think it proves that no one actually watched those late 'teens Marlins teams actually play baseball.

Part of the problem is the fact the went to the current set up where there are RF and especially LF gold gloves. Usually, there is a reason you are in LF and it is because of a weak arm with not great range. The quality LF applicants are not aplenty.

I mean, he was clearly out. But I get the point. He does not have a good arm.

When Yelich won in 2014 he posted +12 DRS/+7.5 UZR, next best NL LF was Starling Marte at +5 DRS/+2.0 UZR. Looks like the voters got that one right.

When Ozuna won in 2017 he posted +7 DRS/+3.1 UZR, which essentially placed him 3rd among NL LF behind Adam Duvall (+11 DRS/+4.9 UZR) & Tommy Pham (+10 DRS/+6.8 UZR). Looks like his was a case of "it was kind of close, so give it to the guy who .312 with 37 HR & 124 RBI".

Archived