Brewer Fanatic

Bauer to Dodgers - 3 years/$102 million (w/ opt outs)

Eye Black

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously, bad from an NL stand point as the Dodgers only seem to get better. But, probably ideal for the Brewers if the end goal is acquiring Turner....

I'm loving it insofar as I think this is going to be a disaster Los Angeles. (Only wish it had been the Cardinals.)

Starting Rotation:

Walker Buehler

Clayton Kershaw

Trevor Bauer

Julio Urías

David Price

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Obviously, bad from an NL stand point as the Dodgers only seem to get better. But, probably ideal for the Brewers if the end goal is acquiring Turner....

I hope you're right, but I'm torn on if I think that's the case. Initially I believed that also, but now that they're over the luxury tax threshold anyway I'm not sure it matters to them much if they have to pay a 20% tax on Turner's 2021 salary. They'll need to maneuver away from any long-term commitment to Turner since they'll want to reset from the escalating penalties in future seasons, but I don't think it totally rules out that they would offer a high AAV 1-2 year deal to Turner.

Seems to be more steam for Ozuna possibly ending up back with the Braves, so maybe the Brewers do indeed become the front-runner for Turner.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So rumor is that the contract with the Dodgers is less than what the Mets offered him.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mets pulled their offer because Bauer messed around too much and (I think?) he has an inexperienced agent.

Per Jeff Passan:

Trevor Bauer's three-year deal with the Dodgers is for $102 million guaranteed -- and for $40 million in 2021 and $45 million in 2022. He can opt out after each year, meaning he'll make $40M if he opts out this year, $85M if he does so after 2022 and $102M if he stays all three.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nightengale wasn't the only one reporting it. I wonder if Dodgers came in with an extra year or Bauer was just trolling some people and saying he was signing with NY?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope you're right, but I'm torn on if I think that's the case. Initially I believed that also, but now that they're over the luxury tax threshold anyway I'm not sure it matters to them much if they have to pay a 20% tax on Turner's 2021 salary. They'll need to maneuver away from any long-term commitment to Turner since they'll want to reset from the escalating penalties in future seasons, but I don't think it totally rules out that they would offer a high AAV 1-2 year deal to Turner.

Seems to be more steam for Ozuna possibly ending up back with the Braves, so maybe the Brewers do indeed become the front-runner for Turner.

The Dodgers don't have a lot of money committed to 2022 and beyond (other than Betts). So they have LOTS of flexibility to get under the luxury tax in 2022.

I think the Dodgers will soon announce the re-signing of Justin Turner as well.

That is one of the most irresponsible contracts ever. I guess the Dodgers effectively have infinite money so it doesn't matter.

I disagree completely. They've limited their damage to three years at most (assuming things don't go well).

Yea I feel like that's kind of a safe deal for LA. Much less risky than giving a 6-8 year deal for a SP.

Seems Bauer found a middle ground from his "I wanna do one year deals" thing. He got his flexibility he wanted but was able to lock in 3 years of money in case something happens to his arm. Or in the current financial climate being bad maybe next year he opts out and then locks in a long deal if he does well. I feel like some of us threw out this similar idea in a thread about him months ago.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Seems Bauer found a middle ground from his "I wanna do one year deals" thing. He got his flexibility he wanted but was able to lock in 3 years of money in case something happens to his arm. Or in the current financial climate being bad maybe next year he opts out and then locks in a long deal if he does well. I feel like some of us threw out this similar idea in a thread about him months ago.

Exactly what I was thinking. He can still go year-to-year if he wants - but if he gets hurt or whatever, he's got some serious insurance money.

That is one of the most irresponsible contracts ever. I guess the Dodgers effectively have infinite money so it doesn't matter.

I disagree completely. They've limited their damage to three years at most (assuming things don't go well).

If Bauer has a terrible year or is injured then they are stuck with >$100M. If Bauer has an excellent year then he is gone and will be looking for a bigger contract, given his age. All of the risk is on Los Angeles. For a mid-rotation SP.

Brilliant contract by Bauer and his agent that might revolutionize baseball player contracts going forward.

Fellow baseball owners can't be happy about this development.

Actually, does any one know who was the first MLB player to get an opt-out written into his contract?

Sure, was a game changer.

Edit: I believe it was A-Rod's first big contract in 2000.

The Dodgers don't have a lot of money committed to 2022 and beyond (other than Betts). So they have LOTS of flexibility to get under the luxury tax in 2022.

I think the Dodgers will soon announce the re-signing of Justin Turner as well.

I don't think teams are allowed to evade the luxury tax that way, are they? I think that's why it uses AAV.

Edit - nevermind, I see you said "in 2022"

Brilliant contract by Bauer and his agent that might revolutionize baseball player contracts going forward.

Fellow baseball owners can't be happy about this development.

Actually, does any one know who was the first MLB player to get an opt-out written into his contract?

Sure, was a game changer.

This is nothing new with the opt outs. The opt outs are usually 3 or 4-years after they have signed not after the first year normally.

When Sabathia signed with the Yankees he had an opt out in his contract and I believe Alex Rodriguez also had one.

If Bauer has a terrible year or is injured then they are stuck with >$100M. If Bauer has an excellent year then he is gone and will be looking for a bigger contract, given his age. All of the risk is on Los Angeles. For a mid-rotation SP.

compared to the normal 7/220 mil contract he'd get and if he had a terrible year or hurt his arm? And they have no commitment to a big contract to him at age 35-37. Pitchers are a big risk on those long huge contracts. Sure, they sacrifice not having him locked in for long term if he's good/healthy, but it eliminates the risk of a pumpkin on their books. Long story, if teams had the choice to do 1-2 year deals with pitchers instead of 7ish year deals they would.

I don't think opt outs are exclusively pro-player. If a player performs so well in the first year that he wants to opt out it gives the team the option to go in a different direction if they want. It also means they got good value for the season they had the player.

Archived