Brewer Fanatic

Jake Lamb

Former All-Star 3B Jake Lamb is a free agent and seems like a perfect fit for the Brewers roster needs.

988cdc6876fd058aaf3ea99114725feb_crop_exact.jpg?w=377&h=251&q=75

https://www.facebook.com/Dbacks/videos/10158819687120005/

Only 30 years old, hits left-handed and has MLB experience at 1B and 3B.

Hit very well after being traded to A's last season so perhaps a change of scenery helped get his career back on track.

Could platoon at 3B with Urias at 3B and be a backup 1B if the Hiura experiment goes south.

Won't cost much on a one year deal. Maybe could get a club option thrown into a deal in case he reverts to his 30 HR potential.

If teams thought he was 100%, I'd think that he would be getting a lot more interest.

I personally like Robertson as a bounce-back candidate for 2021. He hit well in 2018 before getting injured, and hit well in limited exposure last season, so he could be healthy. If we don't get a significant upgrade, then I think we should just roll with Urias/Arcia/Robertson as our 3B/SS mix.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If teams thought he was 100%, I'd think that he would be getting a lot more interest.

I personally like Robertson as a bounce-back candidate for 2021. He hit well in 2018 before getting injured, and hit well in limited exposure last season, so he could be healthy. If we don't get a significant upgrade, then I think we should just roll with Urias/Arcia/Robertson as our 3B/SS mix.

This could be the plan, but from a roster building standpoint, I really wouldn't like the platoon options on the left side of our infield, as all three of those guys hit right-handed. I think the rumor that we are kicking the tires on Turner, mean that we are not settled at 3B yet.

Personally, I woudn't be too comfortable going into the season with Huira and Vogelbach as our only 1B options as well.

The same Jake Lamb with the .193 BA the last two seasons? What am I missing here to suggest he would be a better option then Urias?

M9m5fHZ.png

Every 50 PAs he gets a .151 boost in AVG, .087 boost in OBP, .416 boost in SLG, and 127 boost in wRC+. So he'll be hitting .418/.414/.672/1.090 with a 268 wRC+ next year.

Or people are overvaluing a 13 game stretch from last season.

This could be the plan, but from a roster building standpoint, I really wouldn't like the platoon options on the left side of our infield, as all three of those guys hit right-handed. I think the rumor that we are kicking the tires on Turner, mean that we are not settled at 3B yet.

Personally, I woudn't be too comfortable going into the season with Huira and Vogelbach as our only 1B options as well.

I'd definitely prefer Turner over the other options, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with the surprisingly okay-ish Gyorko, whom I'd prefer over Lamb. That would give me a much greater sense of security about 3B than Robertson, who I see as more of a never-has-been than a bounce-back candidate, and Gyorko's basic competency at 1B should alleviate to some degree your concerns about having only Hiura and Vogelbach at 1B (about which I'm not concerned).

I think having a platoon with Robertson makes sense. Three names are Lamb, Shaw and Brad Miller. All are close in age. Miller's worst is better than the other two I'd pass on a Shaw reunion. Miller's my first choice but I wouldn't rule out Lamb.

I'd let Urias back up at short and second. Counsell does a lot of double switching

I think having a platoon with Robertson makes sense. Three names are Lamb, Shaw and Brad Miller. All are close in age. Miller's worst is better than the other two I'd pass on a Shaw reunion. Miller's my first choice but I wouldn't rule out Lamb.

I'd let Urias back up at short and second. Counsell does a lot of double switching

I would also add Asdrubal Cabrera.... If we arent gonna land Turner we need a lefty to platoon with Robertson.

If Urias is only going to be the short-side of a platoon, I’d rather we trade him now while he still has some value left. Or just send him to the minors if he’s not ready for full-time duty.

I’d expect he’ll start at either SS or 3B vs righties, and at 2B vs lefties. He’s got too much potential to limit him to 40 or so starts. I could see sitting him if we sign someone like Turner, but not for someone like Lamb.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 weeks later...

Archived