Brewer Fanatic

Freitas to Korea

Jopal78

This is a such a great move for a guy like Freitas. If you can have minor league success and flirt with the majors, you can likely earn a life changing contract overseas for a year or two if the big leagues don't seem to be in the cards. $550k isn't what these kids dream of obviously... but if he is smart with it he will be comfortable the rest of his life. Well done young man!

And yes.. I like the 40 man spot back :)

They’ll receive some compensation for granting him his release to facilitate the move and free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

They're not sending a player or a pick. My guess is that Stearns ends up with a shiny new Hyundai.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They’ll receive some compensation for granting him his release to facilitate the move and free up a spot on the 40-man roster.

They're not sending a player or a pick. My guess is that Stearns ends up with a shiny new Hyundai.

Your sarcasm aside, getting cash back and an open 40-man spot in a cash-strapped year isn't insignificant. I doubt they are going to sign someone for $20M/year but every little bit helps.

Your sarcasm aside, getting cash back and an open 40-man spot in a cash-strapped year isn't insignificant. I doubt they are going to sign someone for $20M/year but every little bit helps.

I know. Just a joke. I'm happy for Frietas, and if the Brewers weren't going to use him, I'm glad they get a spot to hopefully add someone they may need.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Oh the horror! Had to be one of the most undeserving 40-man roster spot occupier in league history.

With Brad Nelson (-81 wRC+ in 2009) popping up in the other thread, it got me wondering just how many other players couldn't even muster the 6 wRC+ that Freitas posted in 2019.

Among Brewers only with at least 10 PA in a season there have been 53 non-pitchers to post a lower wRC+ than Freitas including such memorable names as Laynce Nix, Irving Falu, Corey Patterson, Yadiel Rivera, Chris Barnwell, Luis Jimenez, Blake Lalli, Juan Centeno, Enrique Cruz, Pete Zoccolillo, Erick Almonte, Nevin Ashley, Brooks Conrad (& those are just the Melvin years!!)

If you extend it out to all of MLB since the Brewers first season in 1970 there have been 1,383 batter seasons with at least 10 PA & a wRC+ lower than 6.

Pretty much every team, every year, has a player as bad or worse than Freitas on their 40 man roster.

• 4 months later...

Archived