Brewer Fanatic

Rich Hill?

Brewers are reported to be one of three teams interested in the soon to be 41 year old Hill. I get that he fits the mold of a guy that can still give you 4-5 solid innings but I rather liked the fact that Brett Anderson was often able to get quick outs and make it through 6 innings when he was healthy enough to start and 41 is stretching it. We're not talking Warren Spahn here with Hill.

Brewers are reported to be one of three teams interested in the soon to be 41 year old Hill. I get that he fits the mold of a guy that can still give you 4-5 solid innings but I rather liked the fact that Brett Anderson was often able to get quick outs and make it through 6 innings when he was healthy enough to start and 41 is stretching it. We're not talking Warren Spahn here with Hill.

Hill has arguably been more injury prone than Anderson as well, at least over the last few years. I really liked what Anderson did for this team last year, and would be happy to have him back to take starts at the back end of the rotation. He was a pleasant surprise.

Either one of them would be a nice, stabilizing, veteran pitcher to add to the rotation (when they're not on the IL). They both give you about 5 to 5 1/3 IP per start. I would probably have a slight preference for Hill just because of the K rate, but I liked what I saw from Anderson last year too, so I would probably just go with whoever you can get on a better deal.

2018-20:

RHi5UZL.png

I like either one of them as a back-end of the rotation guy although I was hoping Lauer would end up in that role. It may be best to get that guy to the pen and maybe see if he can be a Suter type pen guy though.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yuck to both Hill and Brett Anderson. I feel that the guys that we have are just as good without having to spend any additional money. If we are going to get another pitcher, I would hope that it's a pitcher in a tier above Rich Hill.

That certainly would be nice, but I don't know if they have the budget for a better pitcher. Meanwhile, they definitely need to deepen their rotation a little and if nothing else Hill/Anderson provide a little more dependability when they're out there (even if you can also depend on them to be on the shelf for a bit of the season too). I have hopes that Lindblom and Houser take a step up this year and I have no idea what to expect from Lauer, so I'd like to have something that adds a little more stability.

2018-20:

V8Gemhi.png

I like either one of them as a back-end of the rotation guy although I was hoping Lauer would end up in that role. It may be best to get that guy to the pen and maybe see if he can be a Suter type pen guy though.

We are short on SP depth outside of the 5 obvious candidates. I think we need at least 2 more decent starters to make it through a season.

I really want Hill but from reading his comments on the interest, sounds like Brewers are 3rd of where he would choose to play.

Disappointed by that, he would be a fantastic fit in our rotation.

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

I really want Hill but from reading his comments on the interest, sounds like Brewers are 3rd of where he would choose to play.

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

No offense, but I'm not sure if that rotation is worthy of an "OMG?" Yes, Woody and Burnes are a phenomenal top 2, and I would be completely on board with a Rich Hill signing (assuming he could stay healthy). Houser though needs to figure out how to get LHH out, as he got absolutely destroyed this past year against them. And, while I know it was a small sample size in a crazy year - I was not at all impressed by Lindblom. Yes, there would be a lot of nice potential in that rotation, but I also feel like 3/5 of that rotation brings A LOT of question marks with it as well.

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

No offense, but I'm not sure if that rotation is worthy of an "OMG?" Yes, Woody and Burnes are a phenomenal top 2, and I would be completely on board with a Rich Hill signing (assuming he could stay healthy). Houser though needs to figure out how to get LHH out, as he got absolutely destroyed this past year against them. And, while I know it was a small sample size in a crazy year - I was not at all impressed by Lindblom. Yes, there would be a lot of nice potential in that rotation, but I also feel like 3/5 of that rotation brings A LOT of question marks with it as well.

Disagree, Hill has been very good throughout his career... We would be a great #3.

Houser is not the bad pitcher we saw in 2020, he's very much the pitcher we saw in 2019... Would be one of the best #4s.

Totally fine with Lindblom at our #5... If he sucks, move him to bullpen and Lauer is our #5.

With all that said, doesnt sound like Hill is gonna sign with us... Hope I'm very wrong tho!

I think Hill will still be very good when he pitches but how much he pitches is a real limiting factor. He's now 40. He hasn't gotten to 140 innings in a season since 2007. Remarkably hit 130 innings in 2017 and 2018 but that seems like the longest of long-shots now. Last year he averaged under 5 innings per start and only threw 77 pitches per game. If they worked out some type of deal where he could come down with a mystery injury for 4 months and spend that time on the DL, and then would be fresh starting the month of August...that almost seems like it would be an ideal situation.

James Paxton would be the guy to nab if we are looking at creating a real top 3 in our rotation.

1. Woody

2. Burnes

3. Paxton

4. I guess Houser

5. Linblom

This would be something to pair up with our bullpen.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If the goal is a vet who you know is going to miss a modest time each year with injuries but will give you quality outings when he can go, Paxton is probably the most ideal. He'll also potentially cost the most, so there's that. Hill or Anderson would be cheaper, with Anderson probably the most cost-effective.

It IS remarkable how good Hill has been despite his age....

I'm a big fan of Hill when he is actually pitching, but he's a bit of a lottery ticket given his age and durability. I'm not sure the Brewers are a team that should really be spending on a lottery ticket. If he's cheap then I'm all for it though.

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

OMG what?

We have a nice 1-2, and nothing but question marks after.

OMG, that rotation sucks!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

OMG what?

Like I said above...........

Hill has been very good throughout his career... We would be a great #3.

Houser is not the bad pitcher we saw in 2020, he's very much the pitcher we saw in 2019... Would be one of the best #4s.

Totally fine with Lindblom at our #5... If he sucks, move him to bullpen and Lauer is our #5.

With all that said, doesnt sound like Hill is gonna sign with us... Hope I'm very wrong tho!

If Hill doesnt want to come here I would love to add Taijuan Walker as our #3.

He could be had on a cheap 1 yr deal... Although he was really good last year so his price may have went up.

And Im sure Paxton is out of our price range as well.

But would LOVE to add one of Hill, Paxton, Walker! Bet none of them sign here tho.

He could be had on a cheap 1 yr deal... Although he was really good last year so his price may have went up.

But would LOVE to add one of Hill, Paxton, Walker! Bet none of them sign here tho.

Would love one in this order:

Paxton

Walker

-

-

Hill

I doubt you are getting Walker that "cheap" though.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Would love one in this order:

Paxton

Walker

-

-

Hill

I doubt you are getting Walker that "cheap" though.

I doubt we end up with any of the three... Paxton and Walker will be too expensive for us... Hill said he wants to play for a winner and close to home.

If anything we'll end up with Folty, Leake or Porcello type... Maybe... Maybe we dont add another starter.

Woodruff

Burnes

Hill

Houser

Lindblom

OMG!

OMG what?

Definitely not an OMG for me. Nor is it a rotation sucks for me. There are far too many question marks to really know what that rotation would be. If you got 20 starts and 100 innings out of Hill that would be the max in my mind. Probably even that might be pushing it. Houser might not be as bad as he showed in 2020 but even including 2019, he's a combined 3-13 with a 4.91 ERA. If that is a quality #4, that's pretty scary. Lindblom had 2 decent starts down the stretch and is a complete wild card at this point. Same is true of Lauer.

I'm not even certain about Burnes. Always was higher on him than Woodruff. That being said, we are still assuming he's an ace based on a 7 game stretch from last year. Obviously I have great hope but he's not a lock for ace status at all.

In the end, IMO, it would lean somewhat closer to it sucks than OMG!.

How about a guy like Matt Shoemaker? Long injury history, a couple of those injuries were extremely fluky. I imagine he could be had on a minor league deal, but I wouldn’t mind giving him a guaranteed deal of 1/$1 million with a couple million more in incentives.

I would love a Mike Fiers reunion though. Innings eater that keeps you in the game and will give you 6 innings. He would really help solidify the rotation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived