Brewer Fanatic

Jose Ramirez

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So hypothetically if you traded Hiura to Cleveland for Ramirez, who else would you have to add to make it happen?

I would guess Small or Ashby, and perhaps someone like Je'von Ward.

Ramirez does seem like the type of guy you give the farm for if he's available, and he solves a huge problem for Milwaukee's lineup. I'd do a Hiura/Small/Ward-like deal all day.

With the news of the Kolten Wong signing I think it's at least fair to have a separate thread asking the question of what would it take to peak the Indians interest enough to consider moving Jose Ramirez?

Reminder, Ramirez is amazing (elite switch hitter), not old (28 years old), and under contract for relatively cheap for the next three-years (~$33 million).

This isn't someone the Brewers are going to even get a conversation started on with solely minor league talent (at least their minor league talent), it would likely take a substantial piece from the major league club (i.e. Hiura, Burnes, etc.) to headline a package.

Thoughts?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I mentioned it in the other thread but I would do a 3 team trade with Hader going for prospects, Hiura to Cleveland and Ramirez plus the prospects we got for Hader going to Cleveland.

Ramirez would make our lineup much better and fills a need (with no prospect knocking on the door) for 3 important seasons.

I would have no problem giving up a package centered around Hiura and including several prospects. My only untouchables would be Woodruff and Burnes. Urias is also fair game.

I would probably include Hader but would prefer not to as this type of deal means you're going for it the next couple years and Hader is going to be a big part of that. Hader's trade value isn't high enough to be a necessary part of the deal anyway.

So hypothetically if you traded Hiura to Cleveland for Ramirez, who else would you have to add to make it happen?

I would guess Small or Ashby, and perhaps someone like Je'von Ward.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

I would too. Which likely means that Cleveland would not be comfortable with this package. My guess is that it would take Hiura, Mitchell and maybe someone like Henry to get a deal done for Ramirez. Maybe I'm off base though with my projection?

With the news of the Kolten Wong signing I think it's at least fair to have a separate thread asking the question of what would it take to peak the Indians interest enough to consider moving Jose Ramirez?

Reminder, Ramirez is amazing (elite switch hitter), not old (28 years old), and under contract for relatively cheap for the next three-years (~$33 million).

This isn't someone the Brewers are going to even get a conversation started on with solely minor league talent (at least their minor league talent), it would likely take a substantial piece from the major league club (i.e. Hiura, Burnes, etc.) to headline a package.

Thoughts?

Burnes is on the exact same calendar as Bieber (& those are all arbitration years after this season)..

CLE also has tons of starters.... Heck in 18 months CLE dealt away/ released the full rotation of 2017 (Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger, Danny Salazar)

While Burnes is is very valuable in his own right, that value is lessened when dealing with a pitching/ good rotation team (CLE/ LAD/ a few others)..

I wrote it over last weekend: Huira, Devin Williams & Garret Mitchell for JRam & Sam Hentges (LHP).

Doubt MKE would do that..

I would too. Which likely means that Cleveland would not be comfortable with this package. My guess is that it would take Hiura, Mitchell and maybe someone like Henry to get a deal done for Ramirez. Maybe I'm off base though with my projection?

Hiura, Mitchell, and Ashby or Small is probably more realistic to me as well.

I think Hiura along with Garrett Mitchell and Mario Feliciano would be something in the ballpark of what it might take assuming the Indians are into those players.

One way to look at it is the Braves may be in a position to offer a package with Austin Riley and prospect OF Drew Waters, which would be a high bar for the Brewers to clear.

Hiura, Mitchell, and Ashby or Small is probably more realistic to me as well.

Damn would hurt to lose Mitchell tho... Hedbert is nowhere close as Mitchell is.

I think Hiura along with Garrett Mitchell and Mario Feliciano would be something in the ballpark of what it might take assuming the Indians are into those players.

If that would get him, I would make that trade immediately.

If that would get him, I would make that trade immediately.

Mario Feliciano is a prospect that hasn't garnered a ton of attention in publicly available prospect rankings, but I get the sense the Brewers (and maybe other teams and scouts) are fairly high on him. I'd probably rather give up one of the pitching prospects mentioned than Feliciano, but I get the sense a team that's done their homework would ask for Feliciano to be included.

Hiura for Jose Ramirez and I want David ******** Putney, just because I feel like it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As much as I would love to add Ramirez, I feel like it would make more sense to keep Hiura since he is so cheap and throw him at first and just go out and sign Turner to a 3/$40 million contract or so. You don’t lengthen the lineup by trading away Hiura to bring in Ramirez and the cost of Hiura + Turner is basically the same as just Ramirez. Just something to think about. We would still have a big question mark at first if we moved Hiura.

Wong/Cain

Yelich

Turner

Hiura

Narvaez

Wong/Cain

Garcia

Urias/Arcia

P

I can get behind that!

As much as I would love to add Ramirez, I feel like it would make more sense to keep Hiura since he is so cheap and throw him at first and just go out and sign Turner to a 3/$40 million contract or so. You don’t lengthen the lineup by trading away Hiura to bring in Ramirez and the cost of Hiura + Turner is basically the same as just Ramirez. Just something to think about. We would still have a big question mark at first if we moved Hiura.

Wong/Cain

Yelich

Turner

Hiura

Narvaez

Wong/Cain

Garcia

Urias/Arcia

P

I can get behind that!

That is making the rather big assumption, though, that Turner is agreeable to a deal with the Brewers, and his agent isn't simply using the Brewers' supposed interest in an effort to squeeze an extra couple million out of the Dodgers. For how great the Dodgers lineup is, they still have a question mark at 3B, and if they don't make a move on a guy like Ramirez or Kris Bryant, re-upping with Turner makes a lot of sense for them.

I mentioned it in the other thread but I would do a 3 team trade with Hader going for prospects, Hiura to Cleveland and Ramirez plus the prospects we got for Hader going to Cleveland.

Ramirez would make our lineup much better and fills a need (with no prospect knocking on the door) for 3 important seasons.

Josh Hader to NYM

Jose Ramirez to MKE

Keston Hiura, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, & Brett Baty to CLE

Josh Hader to NYM

Jose Ramirez to MKE

Keston Hiura, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, & Brett Baty to CLE

So the Mets are getting Hader for Baty alone? Yikes!

Also, Ramirez is a stud, but giving up a package of Hiura, Hader, Feliciano and Perez is super steep, IMO.

We would still have a big question mark at first if we moved Hiura.

I follow your logic 100% and think you may be right, but don't we also have a big question mark if we keep Hiura and assume he can play first as well?

Moving from 2B to 1B shouldn't be all the difficult especially playing next to a gold glover at 2B. Big question is will they add someone like a Brad Miller to mix in at 3B with Robertson/Urias. Ramirez is a long shot.

We would still have a big question mark at first if we moved Hiura.

I follow your logic 100% and think you may be right, but don't we also have a big question mark if we keep Hiura and assume he can play first as well?

Moving from 2B to 1B shouldn't be all the difficult especially playing next to a gold glover at 2B. Big question is will they add someone like a Brad Miller to mix in at 3B with Robertson/Urias. Ramirez is a long shot.

I think Miller makes a ton of sense to fill out the roster. He's hit .825 vs RHP the last 3 years including his rough tenure with the Crew. Him and Robertson (.749) or Urias (.873) pair really well together as a platoon at 3B and we'd always have 2 nice UTL guy on the bench.

Archived