Brewer Fanatic

Kolten Wong to Brewers

Eye Black
These guys are all professional players; outside of pitching and catching I’m sure they’re fairly interchangeable; if the player is willing to put in the effort. Hiura has played on the infield he knows tag plays, he knows force plays, he knows diving for balls, pick off plays etc. it’s up to him if he wants to put in the work to develop the footwork around the bag.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we are worried about trading Hiura because we're concerned about creating a hole at 1B by losing a very bad defensive 2B, then I think we are already acknowledging that 1B is the easiest plug and play position to replace in baseball.

well it is. The brewers have been success putting catchers and Braun there in recent memory. I think Hiura has good footwork. He should be OK there and it hides his poor arm. I think most knew his long term future wasn't 2nd when he was drafted and/or brought up.

I view this as good, not great signing. I think it would be closer to fair value if it was 2/12 or 1/8, at most it's a slight overpay. I think the comments of Wong having a noodle bat are pretty fair. I believe 2019 was the juiced ball year iirc, and he hit only 11 in 550 at bats. So power is a bit of a weakness but he's plus defense, plus speed, plus bat...overall a pretty good package. We have a good number of big power hitters in the lineup, it just doesn't hurt to have a guy that hits for average and gets on base in the lineup.

Sidenote, I know he hasn't in the majors but is there any thinking that Wong could play SS or 3b? His offense doesn't really play at 3b, but just wondering if he might be an option there on double shifts or whatever.

Also this definitely doesn't mean we are for sure trading Hiura. There are ways to fit both these guys. A few years ago we thought for sure we had to trade Santana as we didn't have a spot for him to play with Yelich/Cain signings, and said trade never happened. There might be a trade out there that makes sense but it won't be forced and this isn't necessarily a precursor to anything.

How did he hit at miller park against brewers pitching

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Gotta love having him and Arcia on defense. Our run prevention could be insane with the potential of our pitching.

It's easy to forget that the 2018 team was really good defensively, which may have been the reason they made guys like Miley and Chacin look so good. Doesn't seem like the worst strategy to try and recreate that to some effect.

Wong has hit well in Milwaukee during his time with the Cardinals, compiling a .855 OPS with a .373 OBP in 217 plate appearances at Miller Park, now renamed American Family Field. He showed overall improvement at the plate the past two seasons, compiling a .754 OPS, and is a factor on the bases as well (24 steals in 2019).

Something in my gut tells me Hiura is getting traded.

If we trade Hiura, then we're back to needing a 1B.

Not if he is traded for a 1B.

We would atill need a 3B though.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Keston is 6 foot... Most 1B are like 6'1 to 6'3... Is a couple inches that big of a deal?

Hes a short 6' Ive seen other listings he is 5' 11" you can't tell me he doesn't look smaller than listed.

This may not bring a trade but use a Hiura option. If he doesnt look the best during ST Hiura should take a return to the minors. Bat in ST notwithstanding.

Maybe this solves the lineup to have Wong leadoff-L, Cain -R, and Yelich-L 3rd

Not a chance in hell Hiura goes back to the minors...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Wong has hit well in Milwaukee during his time with the Cardinals, compiling a .855 OPS with a .373 OBP in 217 plate appearances at Miller Park, now renamed American Family Field. He showed overall improvement at the plate the past two seasons, compiling a .754 OPS, and is a factor on the bases as well (24 steals in 2019).

Spray chart at Miller Park...

EtUzZuDXYAQkSlz?format=jpg&name=small

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just to put into perspective how big of an upgrade this is on defense...

MLB 2B with at least 1,000 innings the past two years:

bohXBhQ.png

Add in Cain returning to the field...

MLB CF with at least 1,000 innings the past two years:

HrS0pu3.png

The pitching staff should be grinning today.

It’s a little funny to think that the team that’s been comfortable playing Mike Moustakas and Keston Hiura at second base now has one of the best defenders in the game at the position.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I only looked at 2018 so take it with a grain of salt but it showed that 2 of his long outs would have been HRs at Miller Park.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Didn't read every post, but has anyone mentioned Urias in all of this?

Edit: Funny, the one page I skipped was page 6 and that has some people mentioning Urias as Utility. Do people think this makes him the Brewers' 3B?

With the team as it's currently constructed, I think he helps out Arcia and Robertson at both SS and 3B. The amount of playing time each gets will depend on how Urias develops, how Robertson looks with increased playing time, and what version of Arcia shows up.

2018-20 vs RHP:

VyOBfNR.png

2018-20 vs LHP:

JpNopa6.png

I don't think the Brewers signed Robertson with the intention of him being a starter.

Probably not, but as currently constructed him and Urias are probably the current solution. Just like before today Vogelbach was the 1B. We'll see what else happens! But I don't think a Robertson/Urias combo at 3B would be a total black hole either. If nothing else you might get a nice .350 OBP out of it, which is a nice improvement over the .221/.301/.340 74 wRC+ line our 3B put up last year.

This is Wong's 2019 home spray chart if he played in Milwaukee instead of St. Louis. Chose 2019 because that is the last full 162 game season.

2019 Season

0angyHv.jpg

2018-2020

VUw7dSI.jpg

This is a very good signing and I believe Wong's OPS should improve over what he was doing in St. Louis. If we just look at his home game stats from his time in St. Louis he should see a power boost in terms of more HR's by playing more games in Milwaukee. He should also see more opposite field hits by playing in Milwaukee which should raise his average higher also.

Didn't read every post, but has anyone mentioned Urias in all of this?

Edit: Funny, the one page I skipped was page 6 and that has some people mentioning Urias as Utility. Do people think this makes him the Brewers' 3B?

I definitely think he is our 3b right now. He could be our ss if we acquire a 3B.

This board...A. Worries way to much about defense....give me a slugging offense that will score 5-7 runs per night and defense would be basically irrelevant. B. get too excited about Stearns shopping at Walmart(as he always does). I mean can't he at least upgrade to shopping at Target??

I think it is funny that fans can have watched--within the last couple years!--the Brewers trot out the "jumbo package" infield and shift both Mike Moustakas and Travis Shaw to 2nd base, yet find it so unbelievable that they might have Hiura take a meaningful amount of innings at 1B that they insist he must be on the trading block.

Now, to be fair, I have absolutely no idea what Stearns is up to, but one thing I do know is that he isn't exactly predictable. When people start to think he absolutely has to make a move, he doesn't. And when things are quiet, he's moving. So if conventional wisdom suggests Hiura is getting shipped out, likely to an AL club, then I start to think the smart money is with Hiura staying put this year and investing in a first baseman's glove.

But again, what do I know? Would I be ok with moving him for a haul of prospects? Not thrilled, but I'd get it. Would I be stoked about Hiura as a part of a deal for Chapman or Ramirez or some young starter? Heck yeah. But I'm not holding my breath for either scenario.

I just don't see Hiura at 1B.His size, his glove, stretching, scooping in between hops... I think it could be disastrous. If we're going elite level defense up the middle, don't ruin it with giving up outs at 1B. I can see it now. Arcia makes a great play deep in the whole. Throw to first, inning over. Oops....wait...Hiura can't scoop it.

Maybe Hiura is included in a Hader trade, but that's odd too because they would be selling low. We'll see, I'll trust the plan for now.

I like Wong and am glad the Brewers made a deal to get a regular for the infield. However, I think they overpaid. If you compare this signing to Cesar Hernandez who signed with Cleveland for $5M with an $6M option for 2022. The players are comparable though Wong has a much higher WAR due to his defensive though Cesar is just fine defensively.

If this means the Brewers are done adding regulars to the team then I would have rather had Cesar for half the price so we can get an established 3B or maybe a veteran SP. If the Brewers still have $ to spend then I'm happy with Wong.

This board...A. Worries way to much about defense....give me a slugging offense that will score 5-7 runs per night and defense would be basically irrelevant. B. get too excited about Stearns shopping at Walmart(as he always does). I mean can't he at least upgrade to shopping at Target??

Wong isn't Walmart shopping. He is a legitimate second baseman that just won a Gold Glove and can post 20 DRS in a season.

The Brewers will always have to find market inefficiency. They can't buy sluggers like 1/3 of the league does.

Archived