Brewer Fanatic

Kolten Wong to Brewers

Eye Black

I'm ok with whatever plan they have for Hiura. If that means trade, or 1B, so be it.

Wong is as good as it gets defensively at 2nd, so he's not moving off there. It would be nice if Hiura's defense could stick at 2B, but it doesn't look like it'll happen.

Too often though we get a little too hung up on not wanting to move a guy off a position because his bat doesn't play as well somewhere else. I understand that bats are a little more of a premium at certain positions, but they still have to offer enough defense to be an overall asset and not a net negative. We can move Yelich to catcher if we want to but if he can't play the position it doesn't matter how well his bat plays there.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My issue is not so much with the player its need vs money .all we heard all off season was its going to be tight etc etc so we overpay at postion thats loaded already and no I do not belive Hirua can play 1st base In fact I think thats a disaster waiting to happen..so how did we improve? We raised our payroll and even though wong may play everyday I don't belive we gained a starter because now someone's got to sit at a postion with to many players

Hiura is going to be starting in 2021 ... whether it be for the Brewers, or some other team.

I agree he a starter but where on this team , I don't belive he can play 1st there is no dh if you sign Wong to start at 2nd I just don't see where he plays

My issue is not so much with the player its need vs money .all we heard all off season was its going to be tight etc etc so we overpay at postion thats loaded already and no I do not belive Hirua can play 1st base In fact I think thats a disaster waiting to happen..so how did we improve? We raised our payroll and even though wong may play everyday I don't belive we gained a starter because now someone's got to sit at a postion with to many players

Hiura is going to be starting in 2021 ... whether it be for the Brewers, or some other team.

I agree he a starter but where on this team , I don't belive he can play 1st there is no dh if you sign Wong to start at 2nd I just don't see where he plays

If he can't play 1B, he's not gonna be a Brewer. Simple as that.

If someone can verify, hasn't a lot of the concern regarding Hiura's defense been related to his arm? If so, that's obviously lessened considerably as a 1B. Presumably, range ability as a 2B is also boosted by playing first?

Looks like Hiura's error split is 12 fielding vs 10 throwing for his career.

Maybe he's only a -10 first baseman instead of a -15 second baseman.

We are either trading Huira (after a bad season) or moving him to 1B (hurts overall defense).

Hiura would have to be Braun-at-3B-level bad at 1B for this to not be a huge overall upgrade on defense. (If he even plays there at all, I suspect Stearns is confident there will be a DH in 2021.)

If there is a DH in 2021, then we still need a 1B now.

This signing reminds me of when we signed Cain. Offensive numbers aren't super impressive but lots of value on the defensive end.

Cain's signing 3 years ago was coupled with a second rather large transaction as well. Could history repeat itself? Hmmmm ...

My god, don't even toy with us like that.......

We need Jose Ramirez!!!! I can't think of another 3B that could be had in a trade, there's at least rumors that Jose is available... But if the Wong signing proved anything, who the hell knows who DS would acquire.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If someone can verify, hasn't a lot of the concern regarding Hiura's defense been related to his arm? If so, that's obviously lessened considerably as a 1B. Presumably, range ability as a 2B is also boosted by playing first?

Looks like Hiura's error split is 12 fielding vs 10 throwing for his career.

Maybe he's only a -10 first baseman instead of a -15 second baseman.

He seems like one of those dudes where even if he didn't get an error he had plenty of balls he gloved but didn't throw or balls he simply couldn't get to that should have been outs. I'm sure there's an advanced defensive metric for that...if not let's call it the "Yuniesky Betancourt Factor"

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Kolten Wong's projected stats this year from various projection systems...

ZiPS

[pre]G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ EV BsR Off Def WAR

143 524 9 60 51 14 8.4% 14.7% .124 .301 .266 .345 .391 .316 96 0.3 -2.2 7.9 2.2[/pre]

Steamer

[pre]G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ EV BsR Off Def WAR

126 537 10 65 52 14 9.2% 16.2% .130 .298 .260 .343 .390 .316 94 1.0 -2.9 3.5 1.8[/pre]

ATC

[pre]G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+

133 537 9 64 50 14 8.7% 15.3% .122 .300 .263 .343 .385 .314 97[/pre]

THE BAT

126 546 10 69 48 15 9.4% 16.1% .127 .295 .258 .345 .384 .321 101[/pre]

THE BAT X

126 546 11 68 48 15 9.3% 16.2% .126 .285 .250 .338 .376 .314 97[/pre]

Clay Davenport

[pre]PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB BA OBP SLG WARP

496 441 58 120 21 3 10 46 40 71 10 .272 .353 .401 3.9[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

My recollection was that Doug Mientkiewicz was a very good defender at first based much more on range then scooping, he also wasn't terribly tall either. I wouldn't expect it especially the first year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Hiura ended up close to average at first, which ultimately would be upgrading 2 infield spots pretty significantly on defense.

Something in my gut tells me Hiura is getting traded.

I'm there too. I really can't reconcile in my mind the idea that they're going to use a potentially brutal defensive combo of Vogelbach/Hiura as their 1B.

I said this earlier in the thread as well. Getting Wong just feels like the first domino to fall for the Brewers to do something substantial via trade. Somone else said it, but Hiura feels like a square peg for the Brewers round hole now. I am holding to my belief it will be something unforeseen and for someone we didn't know was available (e.g. Matt Chapman, Matt Olson).

Something in my gut tells me Hiura is getting traded.

If we trade Hiura, then we're back to needing a 1B.

Not sure we don't need one anyway. Plus, you could trade him for a 1B. It doesn't have to be a great one depending on what kind of deal you're going for.

Just a gut feeling, but I don't think the Brewers look at Hiura as a long-term piece. He's a one-dimensional good hitter, but he is controllable, so he should be able to be moved. I don't think the team thinks he's a good as the fans do. Hiura just doesn't really fit the DRS contact hitter model they seem to be going with.

Keston is 6 foot... Most 1B are like 6'1 to 6'3... Is a couple inches that big of a deal?

Hes a short 6' Ive seen other listings he is 5' 11" you can't tell me he doesn't look smaller than listed.

This may not bring a trade but use a Hiura option. If he doesnt look the best during ST Hiura should take a return to the minors. Bat in ST notwithstanding.

Maybe this solves the lineup to have Wong leadoff-L, Cain -R, and Yelich-L 3rd

I like this move and do actually think Hiura at first has long term potential. Striking out at a 35% clip is certainly frustrating but he is only entering his age 24 season and believe he will rebound in a big way. Wong is one of the best at 2B and should be a solid left handed addition to the lineup.

I’d put the odds of Hiura being anywhere close to average at 1B between 0%-1%.

His arm is crud, but he does everything poorly. 1B still have really tough plays and awkward plays to make...things Hiura struggles with. I’m sure that will follow him to 1B. I am trying to envision him scooping tough throws and it just isn’t pretty.

We will see how it goes if it happens, but I’m guessing he will be a terrible first baseman and the little league mistakes he makes at 2B will follow him over. I doubt 1B fixes his defensive brain fart mistakes he often makes. Of course it is what it is...it’s not like he can be worse defensively. I am sure the Brewers were really hoping for the DH this year.

If we are worried about trading Hiura because we're concerned about creating a hole at 1B by losing a very bad defensive 2B, then I think we are already acknowledging that 1B is the easiest plug and play position to replace in baseball.

Archived