Brewer Fanatic

Kolten Wong to Brewers

Eye Black

A career wRC+ of 96 is not a good hitter.

wRC+ is a great measure of a player relative to all hitters in the league while ignoring their position. As a 2B, Wong is above average offensively.

Since 2015 there have been 30 2nd basemen to have 2,000 plate appearances. Wong ranks 21st in wRC+. If we just take out the pandemic 2020 season and go to 2019 there were 19 qualified 2nd basemen, Wong was 10th in wRC+ and that was with a career high 108 wRC+. If we use his career 96 wRC+ he would've been 13th. He's just not in any way above average offensively at 2nd.

Selecting for 2B with 2,000+ PA is in no way reflective of what is "average" for MLB 2B's. Wong is an excellent defender and a decent hitter (the kind who actually gets on base, which is the best kind of decent hitter). Perhaps you personally would have preferred a poor defender who hits much better, but that has very little to do with whether this was a good signing or not.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People were complaining about the front office not doing anything, and they just went out and got a 3-4 WAR player, and people still don't like it? I can't see anything to dislike about this other than that it probably ends any chance of Hiura becoming a career 2B.

2017-2020 prorated WAR per 162 games:

3.7 fWAR

4.2 rWAR

To play devil's advocate, the people complaining about the front office not doing anything are likely not the same people complaining about the Wong signing. The whining does tend to create collective background noise, though, so I get it.

And I was one of those whiners about the lack of activity earlier this week, so throw me on the pile.

that was with a career high 108 wRC+

Yes that was his career high, but he's done it multiple times:

2017: 108 wRC+

2018: 99 wRC+

2019: 108 wRC+

2020: 92 wRC+

It's not like he's been significantly under that every year. And again his main asset is his defense, which compared to Hiura's is very significant.

This signing is overpriced and awful.

So we fix our broken offense but signing an average player past his prime who can't hit at a position we don't need.

Perfect.

Also WAR is a made up statistic that means absolutely nothing to no one.

I'm Sorry. Needed to be said.

It really didn't. But I hope it made you feel better.

I'm just hoping that this will perhaps limit the "Brewers don't spend any money" and the "Brewers only dumpster dive" or "only shop in the Bargain Basement" posts for a few days.

yeah people complain when they sign Daniel Robertson to a minimal contact and when they sign a current gold glover to a rather large but not out of the world contract. also never realized he has yet to be named an all star, i thought he would have made it one year atleast.

I like this signing. I'm not going to complain about the money because I want the Brewers to spend their money on making the team better.

I like that Stearns recognizes that starting 2021 with an awful defending infield is not a recipe for success.

I also think the DH will still be added to the NL this year (when the MLB and MLBPA are done playing chicken) so Huira will DH and hopefully rake.

A career wRC+ of 96 is not a good hitter.

wRC+ is a great measure of a player relative to all hitters in the league while ignoring their position. As a 2B, Wong is above average offensively.

Since 2015 there have been 30 2nd basemen to have 2,000 plate appearances. Wong ranks 21st in wRC+. If we just take out the pandemic 2020 season and go to 2019 there were 19 qualified 2nd basemen, Wong was 10th in wRC+ and that was with a career high 108 wRC+. If we use his career 96 wRC+ he would've been 13th. He's just not in any way above average offensively at 2nd.

As others have also pointed out, you're using a metric that measures all hitters and trying to contort it into something that you can try to use to measure hitters at a position, when the stat isn't designed to do that. If you use a stat that actually factors positional adjustments as part of its actual calculation, he's an above-average hitter as a 2B.

I get questioning whether money should have been allocated to a different position, but there's nothing that indicates that signing Wong to this contract in a vacuum is actually a negative.

I am happy the Crew made a move a bit overpriced but he a good bat for this lineup. I was just wondering if Wong has any 3rd base abilities. I have to think Hiura might be tried at 1st but not sure if he can play there not a great defense guy. The other question is would Hiura be part of a trade package ?

So we fix our broken offense but signing an average player past his prime who can't hit at a position we don't need.

Perfect.

I... what?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Defense up the middle matters a great deal. And odds are that Yelich and Hiura go back to pre-2020 on offense. Plus Cain is back. So as long as Wong isn't Henry Blanco with the bat he'll be fine.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When it comes to WAR I don't take it seriously when a players entire value is on defense. I don't see Wong as a 3 win player when he swings a noodle for a bat.

This is the second player where you've made this claim on recently, and the second time where you're completely incorrect on that point.

Great defense but doesn't move the needle for us offensively at all. Stearns just loves to sign middle infielders that can't hit.

So how exactly do we improve this offense or do we just count on the pitching every night.

The offense is going to be crap if Yelich and Hiura don't hit. Simple as that. No free agent was going to make this a good offense if those two don't rebound. A move like this solidifies the notion that those guys need to hit like they are capable of if this team is going to have any success.

Perfect.

The goal in building a team is to win more games. That can be done by scoring more runs yourself or holding the opposing team to fewer runs. Either way works.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Defense up the middle matters a great deal.

It absolutely does but the lineup needs to score a lot more than it did last season and Wong does nothing to improve the offense.

So you think Yelich will repeat his 2020 numbers next season?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Perfect.

You realize Kolton Wong is in a typical players prime, right? Like right in the middle of it.

Defense up the middle matters a great deal.

It absolutely does but the lineup needs to score a lot more than it did last season and Wong does nothing to improve the offense.

So you think Yelich will repeat his 2020 numbers next season?

I really don't know to be honest. He was an MVP level player the previous two seasons but Yelich has not been consistently great throughout his career.

I like this move alot. Wong's defense is stellar and his career offensive numbers at Miller Park are pretty great. He's not going to put up monstrous offensive fantasy baseball numbers, but he doesn't need to. Play consistent up the middle defense, make contact, get on base, maybe swipe some bags... a good fit for this team. With a club option at the end of a very reasonable 2 year deal, I don't see how anyone can complain.

Thinking more and more about this, I think Hiura is going to be dealt.

I know Stearns gave some lip service to him going to 1B but I think it is just that. He's Prince Fielder's height at 1B and has never played there in his career. There is no DH in the NL this year. Wong and Hiura are both 2B-only in their career.

I don't care what McCalvy just tweeted about Hiura to 1B. I will believe it when I see it.

Archived