Brewer Fanatic

Kolten Wong to Brewers

Eye Black
I like that Wong is proving me right and his OPS at least for this season has improved. I still believe it is because he is now playing in a more hitter friendly home ballpark.

Wong has posted an .860 OPS on the road vs a .790 OPS at home this year.

AmFam hasn't really been doing the Brewers many favors with a .696 OPS at home vs a .747 OPS on the road so far this year.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am VERY happy that Wong has performed far above my expectations.

I am always haunted by the Ex-Cardinals signings from the past, so that played into my "meh" attitude when we signed him.

Bottom line is this, he has been great and my first reactions were wrong.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I like that Wong is proving me right and his OPS at least for this season has improved. I still believe it is because he is now playing in a more hitter friendly home ballpark.

Wong has posted an .860 OPS on the road vs a .790 OPS at home this year.

AmFam hasn't really been doing the Brewers many favors with a .696 OPS at home vs a .747 OPS on the road so far this year.

Yes but that is better than his career norms when he was in St. Louis which is what I meant by AmFam helping his overall OPS which is about 80 points higher this season. Though his away splits this season are about 120 points higher than his career norms. I still believe going forward and this year that being in a more hitter friendly home ballpark is going to help him more. I think he will regress a bit on the road going forward but I think his home OPS is right in line with what he should be doing. Before this year he had an .855 OPS at AmFam so I think you can see an increase in his OPS at AmFam.

isn't a really fast runner....

I think this is an interesting point in noting the fact that speed isn't the sole thing that makes a baserunner. Wong is a fantastic baserunner, despite the lack of true high-level speed.

Yeah, Kolten's sprint speed from 2015-19 was 27.5 to 27.7 feet per second which had him around the 208th to 238th fastest player depending on the year. Yet his baserunning value came in at +16.1 runs, 27th best over that span.

From 2020-21 it has dropped down to between 26.7 & 26.8 feet per second which has him around the 247th to 315th in terms of sprint speed, but his baserunning value of +2.8 runs ranks 40th over that span.

Archived