Brewer Fanatic

Kolten Wong to Brewers

Eye Black
10-day injured list for kolten wong. if he is to serve the minimum of 10 days and participate in a minor league rehab assignment, it would not be during the official minor league season.

he could rehab at the alternate training site in grand chute, or be assigned to minor league spring training in arizona.

IF he heads to Arizona, he would need 5 days worth of negative test before being able to rejoin the alt site or MLB team.

For that reason I suspect he goes to alt site to heal/ rehab (no additional Covid hurdle to clear) in order to rejoin team..

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the game yesterday, Rock and BA were speculating that they didn't want to activate Wong in the first game after a long flight. Then activate him the second day.

Man, today's players are babied.

• 2 months later...

Wong has been a 2.2 war player this year in just 55 games. Seems to have been a great pick up. Leader, quality defense, high batting average.

With 5 mil of his 7 mil salary deferred from 2021. I’m not seeing any differed from 2022? Is that correct. He also has a team option for $10 mil in 2023 which may be appealing if he is still balling.

• 1 month later...
This signing is overpriced and awful.

So we fix our broken offense but signing an average player past his prime who can't hit at a position we don't need.

Perfect.

Also WAR is a made up statistic that means absolutely nothing to no one.

I'm Sorry. Needed to be said.

This aged very poorly.

A really good read if you have the time. Some takes, yikes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This signing is overpriced and awful.

So we fix our broken offense but signing an average player past his prime who can't hit at a position we don't need.

Perfect.

Also WAR is a made up statistic that means absolutely nothing to no one.

I'm Sorry. Needed to be said.

This aged very poorly.

That is a lot of sports-talk radio-type terrible cold takes rolled into one post. Belongs on Twitter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lots of takes in this thread aged poorly. Hiura and Yelich were going to return to form, Hiura would "definitely" get traded. No way Hiura would get sent down to the minors. Along with multiple takes about Wong's poor offense. Hindsight makes picking things apart pretty easy.

Lots of takes in this thread aged poorly. Hiura and Yelich were going to return to form, Hiura would "definitely" get traded. No way Hiura would get sent down to the minors. Along with multiple takes about Wong's poor offense. Hindsight makes picking things apart pretty easy.

True that the benefit of hindsight makes a lot of these takes look bad.

There were a few that were simply atrocious right from the very start, though. Saying Wong is overpriced and awful? Average player past his prime (he's 30) at a position we don't need? And of course the criticism of WAR as a viable statistic. I mean, those were awful before the ink was dry on Wong's contract.

I am always relieved to look back when people starting hyping poor hot takes and I was not one of those people. :laughing

Kolton Wong really hasn't been that far off what should have been expected either. A little bump offensively from his past, but he also went to a more generous ballpark. I don't think the hot takes are poor in hind sight....I think they were bad all along. As I said at the time of the signing, we got exactly the kind of player we needed in our line up and the kind of guy people have clamored for the last 10 years.

I think the bewilderingly prevalent opinion of Wong's 'noodle bat' and 'defense only player' aren't just poor in hindsight- he's been a 1.5+ oWAR guy since 2017, so that take was wrong from the get go. Add it gold-glove defense as advertised, and this was a slam-dunk signing.

I do also love the 'hopefully not another Garcia' comments as well. Major vindication for the Omar/Avi pre-2020 moves thus far.....

I am always relieved to look back when people starting hyping poor hot takes and I was not one of those people.

Well there was this from you...unless of course you meant that in a good way :laughing

Hopefully this isn’t Avisail Garcia 2.0.

I am always relieved to look back when people starting hyping poor hot takes and I was not one of those people.

Well there was this from you...unless of course you meant that in a good way :laughing

Hopefully this isn’t Avisail Garcia 2.0.

Thankfully Avisail Garcia is having his good year in the year the team is playing well and is a full season. It is easy to overlook last year because we weren't really a good team and it was a shortened season. Also easy to consider the contract better when he was good to end it instead of the other way around. People always think the Kyle Lohse contract was terrible and it is only that way because he was horrid the final year and people always remember the end.

If we flipped it around and Avi had the big year last year and was worthless this year, how much would that change things?

Wong is the type of guy where you don't really recognize how much he does for the team unless you watch him play regularly. Great defense, smart base-running, quality ABs. He's just fun to watch.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wong is a really good baseball player. He plays great defense. He's the best defensive second baseman in the league. He passes the eye test and the stats tell us the same thing. He's an excellent, very aware base runner. I mean, the dude tagged up and scored from third on a pop up to the first baseman. He doesn't get thrown out going for extra bases that he didn't have a chance at. He hits for a little bit of pop. He draws walks. He puts the ball in play. He does all the little things that make a good ball player a really good ball player.

It's easy to look at his stat line and see that he's a 270 hitter with not very much power and dismiss him as a guy who won't provide much offense, but watching him play a full season, it's really easy to see that he is a guy who produces a lot of results with good baseball acumen and IQ.

Archived