Brewer Fanatic

brewers add 12 organization players as non-roster invitees

djoctagone

the brewers have invited 12 players from their minor league system to 2021 major league spring training.

lhp clayton andrews

lhp aaron ashby

rhp zack brown

rhp jake cousins

c payton henry

rhp thomas jankins

of tristen lutz

of garrett mitchell

rhp miguel sanchez

lhp ethan small

lhp quintin torres-costa

inf brice turang

the club has 18 non-roster invitees to spring training.

what's notable this time around? only one non-roster catcher invited to big league camp. given that there are six catchers already on the 40-man, this is understandable.

at this time last year, the brewers had 20 non-roster invitees, but also had a full 40-man roster.

last year, the brewers invited 10 organization players to big league camp.

Unless it was part of the deal when they re-signed him, Cousins’ inclusion seems the most surprising and interesting.

I'm guessing it's due to his age more than anything, as he'll be 27 in July. I'm sure they want to get a good look at him to see if he is a potential arm that can be fast tracked for the pen.

Unless it was part of the deal when they re-signed him, Cousins’ inclusion seems the most surprising and interesting.

I'm guessing it's due to his age more than anything, as he'll be 27 in July. I'm sure they want to get a good look at him to see if he is a potential arm that can be fast tracked for the pen.

True, but that also means they like his stuff enough to view that as a legitimate possibility.

• 1 month later...

the brewers returned these players to minor league camp (whatever that is) today:

of tristen lutz

of garrett mitchell

inf brice turang

lhp clayton andrews

rhp jake cousins

rhp thomas jankins

rhp miguel sánchez

lhp ethan small

lhp quintin torres-costa

12 non-roster invitees remain in major league camp.

the brewers returned these players to minor league camp (whatever that is) today:

of tristen lutz

of garrett mitchell

inf brice turang

lhp clayton andrews

rhp jake cousins

rhp thomas jankins

rhp miguel sánchez

lhp ethan small

lhp quintin torres-costa

So if Mitchell is in the lineup today does that mean minor league camp is a term and they essentially are the same place?

of tristen lutz

of garrett mitchell

inf brice turang

lhp clayton andrews

rhp jake cousins

rhp thomas jankins

rhp miguel sánchez

lhp ethan small

lhp quintin torres-costa

So if Mitchell is in the lineup today does that mean minor league camp is a term and they essentially are the same place?

I'm guessing it is the same as most years where a certain number of minor league camp players come over for each game but still train on the minor league side.

Also, it hasn't gotten the publicity as Ashby, but it seems like the other two from the original list of 12 still there are Brown and Henry.

no, not really . . . because david stearns made a distinction that early camp players were not non-roster invitees.

pre-pandemic, there were fringe benefits that a player had in major league camp . . . access to certain parts of the facility, access to the food, possibly a per diem, and maybe more. when a player is returned to minor league camp, those benefits are cut off (but may be reinstated for the day if the guy is called over from minor league camp to play in a major league cactus game).

furthermore, there's not a minor league camp like there was in the past. when spring training opened up with 76 guys, only 15 were considered "minor league camp". that's not enough players to fill four levels of affiliated baseball.

brewers vp of minor league operations tom flanagan is going to have to figure out what to do with the non-roster invitees and early camp guys who remain in the organization but do not go north to milwaukee or the alternate training site. wave two of spring training starts in april and loads of players come to maryvale, but what do you do with these guys who are already stretched out, who have already cleared intake, who are already acclimated to spring training camp and are likely playing at 100%? do they shut them down for a little bit?

I’ll be honest, and it’s slightly , but only slightly tinted with some rose color, But i think we have a hall of famer on our hands with Mitchell. Extremely small sample, but 15 PAs with no pro experience, and he’s only struck out once, and has made hard contact in basically all balls put in play. I think the Brewers have a long term superstar on their hands here.

Never been more excited on a prospect in this system.

I’ll be honest, and it’s slightly , but only slightly tinted with some rose color, But i think we have a hall of famer on our hands with Mitchell. Extremely small sample, but 15 PAs with no pro experience, and he’s only struck out once, and has made hard contact in basically all balls put in play. I think the Brewers have a long term superstar on their hands here.

Never been more excited on a prospect in this system.

• 3 weeks later...
the brewers have invited 12 players from their minor league system to 2021 major league spring training.

lhp clayton andrews

lhp aaron ashby

rhp zack brown

rhp jake cousins

c payton henry

rhp thomas jankins

of tristen lutz

of garrett mitchell

rhp miguel sanchez

lhp ethan small

lhp quintin torres-costa

inf brice turang

of these 12 non-roster invitees who were in the organization during the 2020 season (i.e. not "aaaa types" signed as free agents in the off-season), these players were not included in the brewers' initial submission of players for the collective player pool:

rhp zack brown

rhp jake cousins

c payton henry

rhp thomas jankins

of tristen lutz

we know that brown and jankins had been battling injuries. cousins and lutz didn't see any cactus league game action after being reassigned in mid-march. henry, even though reassigned, continued to appear in cactus league games towards the end of camp--as recently as 27 march.

Archived