Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

160-2 HERE WE COME!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense has been fantastic and the starting pitching has been superb. When the bats come alive, we will win games in bunches.

For me, I see the potential of dominating the decade if they can get Woodruff, Burnes, Hiura, and Hader locked up long-term. Those four, plus Yelich are the core.

The defense has been fantastic and the starting pitching has been superb. When the bats come alive, we will win games in bunches.

For me, I see the potential of dominating the decade if they can get Woodruff, Burnes, Hiura, and Hader locked up long-term. Those four, plus Yelich are the core.

I see possibly Williams instead of Hader. Going to be cheaper longer and his pitching style could age better.

I see possibly Williams instead of Hader. Going to be cheaper longer and his pitching style could age better.

The way I see it, there is a core and an inner circle the Crew should try to keep together.

Core: Woodruff, Burnes, Yelich, Hiura, Hader

Inner Circle: D. Williams, Suter, Peralta, Pina

Bubble: Houser, Urias, Rasmussen, Arcia, Feliciano, Ray, Taylor

Prospects: Small, Ashby, Mitchell, Turang, Hummel, Henry - see Brewerfan Top 25 results

There may be some prospects who could force their way into this. Garrett Mitchell, for instance, made a huge case this spring for eventual inclusion in one of those categories. But the nine players in the core and inner circle groups are the ones I'd build around if I was the Crew's GM as things stand today. Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta would anchor the rotation, Hader, Williams, and Suter nail down the pen, while Yelich and Hiura anchor the lineup (to be potentially joined by prospects like Mitchell, Turang, etc.) while Pina becomes a steady backup catcher - and I bet there are plenty of teams who would want him as their starter.

All of this could change, based on injury, prospects emerging from nowhere - like Brent Suter did, trades, or free agents who the Brewers sign. But today, there are nine players I'd be trying to keep in Milwaukee for at least the next 5 years, in some cases, ten.

Tonight is where the Brewers offense jumpstarts their season, chasing Williams early and feasting on the Cubs bullpen.

May Cubs pitchers prove their courage by pitching to Christian Yelich... and may their man cards be revoked for intentionally walking him.

Tonight is where the Brewers offense jumpstarts their season, chasing Williams early and feasting on the Cubs bullpen.

It seems this year is going to be just like the previous years, it all depends on putting the ball in play. Obviously they won't continue to whiff as badly as the first three games (45% of the outs were by K) but cutting down the whiffs and getting more guys on base has to be a priority. Somebody is going to get hot and hopefully it carries over to the rest of the lineup.

Offense heating up with guys having bounce back seasons - Narvaez, Garcia, and Shaw. Starting pitching has been phenomenal. The bullpen has somethings to work out but Boxberger and JP looking like they can help. This schedule is a tough way to start a season but so far looking decent.

The Brewers now have the 4th best run differential (+5) in the National League behind only the Dodgers, Reds, and Padres.

That is a pretty crazy stat. +5 is 4th best. The reds should have an * since they got the Pirates.

Also reason for optimism - the cubs are 2nd to last in runs scored when you dont count teams who have missed games due to covid, their starting pitching and bullpen still are average at best and they have already used up 6 of their pirates games

We have THREE TOR starters in Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta.

And a bunch of other guys, some of whom could also be TOR types in the 2023-2026 timeframe. Seriously, if Stearns can get Burnes and Woodruff extended through 2026... there could be some sweet times at American Family Field.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Crazy that the Brewers have two TOR pitchers that are homegrown on the same squad (Peralta more or less is but we didn't sign/draft him originally). We've literally had ONE of those in the last 20 years and he was on a gawdawful team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Crazy that the Brewers have two TOR pitchers that are homegrown on the same squad (Peralta more or less is but we didn't sign/draft him originally). We've literally had ONE of those in the last 20 years and he was on a gawdawful team.

Given the level Peralta was at when he was acquired, I have no problem claiming him as homegrown.

I'd even argue that Hader was homegrown as well.

What the Crew does with the minor-league prospects it gets matters, even if they're at AA or AAA.

Garcia right now is the best hitter on the team and no one is even close to him right now. At 54.8% of his hits being that of the hard hit category and that puts him in an elite category. Obviously he won't continue to do this but he has started out red hot when he has been making contact. Elite for a full season is around 47%.