Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "innings puzzle" that all teams will have to solve this year can be solved in many ways, like 6-man rotations, or 5-man rotations with short starts and more long relief, piggybacks etc. Remains to be seen what the best way is, and what teams choose to do. But what I do believe, is that the Brewers are very well equipped for this. Short starts and long relief has been their method for several years now. Not pushing starters had probably been done for both health and performance (Both third time through the order penalty, and high pitch counts negatively affecting the next start are real issues) reasons. It will this year be more about health than anything else, but the point is that the Brewers have more experience than many other teams in doing it, and have gotten their pitchers to buy into it.

Keeping a team fresh for a whole season to come on strong in September, and making use of every last roster spot are Stearns/CC trademarks. I don't expect it's some massive advantage, but already having experience with this should at least be worth something.

Also just in general, while I don't care too much for spring training stats and would rather look at how player arrived there, I do think overall it has been a positive. Yelich looks like himself, Urias looks like a hitter, Robertson looks like a competent utility man, Wong looks good, Cain (in a limited sample) looks like he'll be a contributor, Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta/Anderson look like the core of a strong rotation. There are a few negatives too, but more positives than negatives and no serious injuries to key players. This will be a good season for the Brewers!

I don’t visit this thread often but....

1. The cy young is a three way race between Freddy peralta, Corbin Burnes, and Brandon woodruff. Corbins 1.37 era wins out.

2. Yelich breaks fielders single season home run record.

3. Keston hiura brings balance to the force.

brewers over dodgers 4-3 nlcs.

Brewers over Yankees 4-3 World Series. And the world is right.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Counsel is an idiot on the IGT in 14 hours.

How is that optimistic?

Here's how it's optimistic, the Stearns is a terrible GM and Attanasio is a cheapskate owner talk subsides in direct proportion :laughing

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

When I looked at the lineup the other day, it occurred to me that it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch that the Brewers offense could be improved at every one of the 8 fielding positions, and in some cases by significant amounts. I feel a lot better about the offense than I did with the assortment of journeymen that they loaded on the roster last year.

Even with the schedule being tougher as they move out of the Central Divisions, if they could finish close to .500 with that offense, they can easily be in contention this season in a division with no obvious powerhouse.

That’s about as optimistic as I will get.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The season started by a spectacular defensive play for the first out and was won by capitalizing on defensive miscues by the other team. I don't think anyone could have illustrated the value of sound defense better than that one game did. The best part is, we can look forward to that all. year. long.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.