Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

Considering the history of the franchise, these last 5 years have been pretty remarkable.

These are the good old days of Brewers baseball.

The Yount-Molitor era was pretty good too because from 1978-1992 the Brewers had several really good teams that were entertaining and competitive but didn’t get the playoff appearances in no small part because of being in the brutal AL East where there were always at least a couple very good teams. Every one of the 7 teams except the Indians won the division at least once in that period and advanced to the World Series. There were a few years in which the Brewers failed to make the playoffs despite having more wins (sometimes several more wins) than the winners of the AL West.

Sure, but luckily franchises aren’t relegated to a lone window of success and wonderful memories. This is a moment in time that Brewers fans will also look back on fondly.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm just enjoying this club. It's a good team. It's not like last year - where even if we made the playoffs, most people never expected the club to go far (and they were right). Solid offense. Good defense. Great pitching. It's just a nice mix.

Kudos to the front office for making a lot of in season moves. Adames was the big one. It just ignited this club.

Anyhow, just enjoying the club. I see some good things for them in October.

This team is just flat out fun to watch. 4 consecutive playoffs. Gotta be doing something right.

This. Totally this. I’ve been following the team from a distance, since I’m living in Houston and cheering for the Astros as my AL team. But you never forget your first love. The way these last 4 years have come together, it’s been amazing to watch. And the team is so much fun. The pitching front to back is probably the best in baseball and the timely, clutch hits are awesome. I’d love to see an Astros/Brewers WS, but honestly, most importantly, I want to see the Brewers back in the WS, since I was 5 when they were there the last time. And I want to see them win it this time.

Can somebody please give some credit to Manny Pina? Perfect backup catcher. A 104 OPS+ and great defense, a 1.4 WAR and 12 HRs in just 159 ABs.

All for a guy people were looking to replace a couple months ago when he was performing well under his career norms.

Brewers are the current leader to win the WS per baseball reference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021-playoff-odds.shtml

It wasn't all that long ago the only way to see something like this was photoshop.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

It wasn't all that long ago the only way to see something like this was photoshop.

I know that logically the reason we have better odds than the Dodgers is because they are baking in the potentiality of them having to overcome a one game playoff, but I don't care. That's still kind of a strange feeling for us to be the odds-on "favorite", as it were, even if it's only for this moment in time.

Can somebody please give some credit to Manny Pina? Perfect backup catcher. A 104 OPS+ and great defense, a 1.4 WAR and 12 HRs in just 159 ABs.

All for a guy people were looking to replace a couple months ago when he was performing well under his career norms.

FanGraphs has 41 catchers with at least 1,000 PAs since Manny's first season with the Brewers in 2016.

Pina's played about as often as top backup (1187 PAs, 35th) but has performed around a league average starter (6.5 WAR, 17th) over that stretch.

Pineapple Power, indeed.

FanGraphs has 41 catchers with at least 1,000 PAs since Manny's first season with the Brewers in 2016.

Pina's played about as often as top backup (1187 PAs, 35th) but has performed around a league average starter (6.5 WAR, 17th) over that stretch.

Pineapple Power, indeed.

Manny's defense was and is good enough that even during his pretty bad first half this year, he wasn't really hurting the team all that bad and I'm happy they gave him a chance to pull out of it and turn his season around.

I'm just enjoying this club. It's a good team. It's not like last year - where even if we made the playoffs, most people never expected the club to go far (and they were right). Solid offense. Good defense. Great pitching. It's just a nice mix.

Kudos to the front office for making a lot of in season moves. Adames was the big one. It just ignited this club.

Yep…….anything can happen in the playoffs……I’m going to appreciate this team no matter what the result in the post season.

They have given us tons of great memories and a very enjoyable summer.

I know that logically the reason we have better odds than the Dodgers is because they are baking in the potentiality of them having to overcome a one game playoff, but I don't care. That's still kind of a strange feeling for us to be the odds-on "favorite", as it were, even if it's only for this moment in time.

I have been quietly hoping for a Dodgers/Giants game 163 which the Giants will host, plus the one game wild card.

I have been quietly hoping for a Dodgers/Giants game 163 which the Giants will host, plus the one game wild card.

How about a Braves-Phillies Game 163 for the NL East while we’re at it?

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Yep…….anything can happen in the playoffs……I’m going to appreciate this team no matter what the result in the post season.

They have given us tons of great memories and a very enjoyable summer.

If the Brewers don’t win the World Series, I guarantee that there will be posters on this site who will come out with variations on the theme that a baseball season has 1 winner and 29 losers. I won’t be one of them.

I’m a firm believer that good and great seasons can have disappointing endings. If the Brewers get eliminated, there will be disappointment, especially if they get eliminated in an especially aggravating manner. Think Packers-Seahawks in 2014. Or getting eliminated by the Cardinals.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Community Moderator

In terms of significance to playoff positioning, the 4-game sweep by St. Louis was the least-significant sweep the Brewers have experienced since a 4-game sweep by Pittsburgh August 25-28, 2016. In that case the Brewers' division odds went from 0.0% at the start of the series to 0.0% at the end, a change of 0.0%. In the most recent sweep, the Brewers' division odds went from 99.9% at the start of the series to 99.9% at the end of the series, also a change of 0.0%.

So basically, if we were ever going to get swept, it was a perfect time to do so.

You can say that, and on paper, yes, that's accurate. But to overlook how this team has played in the last week really isn't the smartest (and how every break, every little advantage is being jumped all over by the Cards, etc.). We may still win the division, but the teams (at least over the past 10 days) are definitely going in opposite directions.

And the smaller the lead gets, the more and more pressure mounting on the Brewers to win a couple of games and clinch this division. If the Cardinals sweep 4 against the Cubs and we only win 1 (or less) this weekend against the Mets, that series next week suddenly has an entirely different meaning. You'd hate to somehow not have it clinched before going to LA.

I know those are all long shots - odds are the Cardinals will lose sooner or later and that the Brewers won't end the season losing like 14 of 15 games...but man, it's super scary to think about.

Can only hope the Brewers can bust out at some point. They were playing so well and then it's like the lights went out (or maybe they just though it was over and could coast, who knows).

You can say that, and on paper, yes, that's accurate. But to overlook how this team has played in the last week really isn't the smartest (and how every break, every little advantage is being jumped all over by the Cards, etc.). We may still win the division, but the teams (at least over the past 10 days) are definitely going in opposite directions.

And the smaller the lead gets, the more and more pressure mounting on the Brewers to win a couple of games and clinch this division. If the Cardinals sweep 4 against the Cubs and we only win 1 (or less) this weekend against the Mets, that series next week suddenly has an entirely different meaning. You'd hate to somehow not have it clinched before going to LA.

I know those are all long shots - odds are the Cardinals will lose sooner or later and that the Brewers won't end the season losing like 14 of 15 games...but man, it's super scary to think about.

The Brewers will bust out soon. They were playing so well and then it's like the lights went out (or maybe they just though it was over and could coast, who knows).

Fixed. Please refrain from mucking up the "2021 Brewers Optimism Thread in the future. Pretty much every other thread this week has the exact verbiage you are looking for.

This was all part of operation give the cards a big head going into the playoffs so they beat the dodgers, but then lose in epic heartbreak fashion in game 5 to the giants.

Yes, it is a mouthful.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

After this season we shouldn't have to sign guys like Anderson to fill in roles in the rotation with Lauer, Houser, Ashby and Small all ready to contribute. Will be nice to go into an off season where the Brewers won't have to overpay for a #4 or #5 starter and expect them to be a #3 or #2 type pitcher.

After this season we shouldn't have to sign guys like Anderson to fill in roles in the rotation with Lauer, Houser, Ashby and Small all ready to contribute. Will be nice to go into an off season where the Brewers won't have to overpay for a #4 or #5 starter and expect them to be a #3 or #2 type pitcher.

Yep, the front office can pretty much focus all of their attention on the offense.