Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

The MLB record for reliever wins is 18, set in 1959 by Pittsburgh's Roy Face.

Ah, there’s a name from my childhood baseball cards. He was one of the rubber armed relievers of the era who appeared frequently and was often asked to pitch multiple innings. Looking it up, in 1959 he threw 93 innings in 47 games, and followed that up in 1960 with 114 innings in 61 appearances as the Pirates won the World Series.

He was a star in the 60 Series as he pitched 2-3 innings and saved each of the Pirates first 3 wins. In the historic and decisive 7th game, the Bucs may have gone to the well once too often, or at least too early. Face was summoned in the sixth inning trying to protect a 4-1 lead and promptly surrendered a run scoring single to Mickey Mantle and a 3 run HR to Yogi Berra. He stayed in and gave up 2 more runs in the 8th, but could have gotten a win when when the Pirates scored 5 in the bottom half to go ahead 9-7. But, the Yankees tied it in the 9th, setting the stage for Bill Mazeroski’s winner. One of the great games in baseball history.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something I thought of while laying in bed: After the 2018 season, Bryce Harper left the Nationals after being the teams hope and Savior for so many years. Once he was gone, the Nationals won the World Series that very next season.

Ryan Braun left the Brewers following the 2020 season after being the team’s hope and Savior for so many years.

You see where I’m going here?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I spent most of my adult life wondering what it would be like to root for a team that had great pitching. It is even more fun than I imagined.

Closest I can remember was that 2008 club after they traded for CC and before Sheets got injured....but even that was just CC and Sheets rolling with some decent starters behind it. The staff overall this year has just been awesome throughout!

I really do wonder, if the Dodgers do get bounced in a WC game, the Brewers probably end up with the best NL World Series odds, right?

I would guess that honor would go to the Giants, but it depends on so much. The Brewers odds are double that of the Giants, but that is largely due to them being a 40% favorite for their division. If the Giants ended up winning their division I bet the odds would be close to even. Maybe a slight advantage to us as the models would like the Dodgers to win that WC game and then play the Giants...thus slightly hurting the Giants odds. However, if the Dodgers got bounced the Giants would look a whole lot better. They would be playing a similar team (Padres) or a severely inferior team (Reds), plus they would be the #1 seed and homefield advantage.

Regardless this is probably our highest WS odds during the regular season, maybe, ever. Even the 2018 team barely cracked 10% after winning Game 1 in the NLCS.

https://theathletic.com/2776311/2021/08 ... -they-are/

This Athletic article lists the Brewers as World Series favorite. It's behind a paywall, so I'll just post the Brewers part. Feel free to delete or ban me or whatever if this isn't allowed.

"I. The Favorites

1. Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers? Yes, the Brewers. They are your World Series favorites. Milwaukee has the largest division lead of any team in the National League, and the clearest path to a division title. No team will enjoy facing the starting trio of Corbin Burnes, Brandon Woodruff and Freddy Peralta. Some consider Craig Counsell the best manager in the game. And, if the team plays its cards correctly, it can maintain control of the No. 2 seed in the league, thus avoiding whoever emerges from the wild card."

Heady times.

I spent most of my adult life wondering what it would be like to root for a team that had great pitching. It is even more fun than I imagined.

Makes me remember the Mets pitching staff back in 2015 or so. Their pitching staff was homegrown or acquired before relevancy. I just remember being jealous and having the wildest dreams we could manage into such luck.

Eduardo responded to a fan asking if his hammy is okay saying “yes”. Maybe it’s a fake but it’s a blue check mark next to the post and matches Escobar’s IG name.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.