Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

You had me at the opening sentence…

No team contributed to the dismantling of the Chicago Cubs more than their rivals from Milwaukee.

I was told there is no rivalry with the Brewers. :laughing

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can win the division we will be debating between which of 3 Cy Young candidates will get the ball game 1 and will have a bullpen with one of the best reliever in baseball and Devin Williams returning to form. This is a very good regular season team that might be a better playoff team. We almost made the world series a few years back with Chacin as our ace

They are going to be a hard out, that’s for sure. Anything can happen in the playoffs but they’ve built something that gives them a legitimate chance.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Another tip of the hat to David Stearns.

Our infield lineup at the beginning of the year included Wong, Urias, Hiura, and Arcia or Shaw with the other one being the first infielder off the bench. That has been changed to Wong, Adames, Escobar, and Tellez, with Urias being the utility guy.

Adames has an OPS of .935 as a Brewer

Tellez has an OPS of .980 as a Brewer

Escobar has an OPS of 1.000 as a Brewer

Shaws ops was .616, Hiura .558, and Arcia .182 (in very limited time with us)

Stearns improved the infield immensely and only gave up J.P., Rasmussen, Bowden Francis, Hummel, and Ciprian. On top of that Adames and Tellez have multiple years of control yet so they can help solidify the infield going forward. Stearns also was wise enough to go after Wong without banking on Hiura rebounding, and trusted Urias could be a major contributor at multiple spots.

The talent and depth he acquired during the season for the cost is pretty incredible. The Brewers give guys time to work out of slumps but they have no issue finding a safety net or back up plan in case guys dont produce. You can say the same for our numerous outfielders.

You had me at the opening sentence…

No team contributed to the dismantling of the Chicago Cubs more than their rivals from Milwaukee.

I was told there is no rivalry with the Brewers. :laughing

On Sept. 3, 2018, Cole Hamels said Cubs-Brewers wasn't a rivalry. From that date to now, the Brewers are 33-19 (.634, a 103-win pace) with a +40 run differential against the Cubs.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator
This is the first time in my life that I expect the Brewers to win the pennant. The 2011 team didn't have the starting pitching or coaching. The 2018 team was riding an absurd hot streak. The 2021 team is the complete package.

This is the first time in my life that I expect the Brewers to win the pennant. The 2011 team didn't have the starting pitching or coaching. The 2018 team was riding an absurd hot streak. The 2021 team is the complete package.

Since this is the optimism thread, I suppose we can ask… what would be the best [or most fun] potential World Series matchup for the Brewers?

Here are my thoughts…

1) White Sox - Would be some great pitching matchups, and sort of fun that all of the games (home and away) would be easily drivable for local fans. It could trigger some PTSD with having to see LaRussa’s mug all series.

2) Blue Jays - This series would be filled with some really great pitcher (Brewers) versus hitter (Blue Jays) matchups.

3) Oakland - I think this is the matchup I would feel most confident in, so that moves it up the list.

4) Rays - I would spend the series worried the Brewers were going to be outsmarted at every turn, and I’d be a little concerned about scoring enough runs against them. The Adames angle would be fun, but I would also be worried about whether he would be able to do anything offensively at the Trop.

5) Astros - I wouldn’t want to play the Astros, but it’d pretty much guarantee >90% of America was rooting for the Brewers.

6) Red Sox / Yankees - Seems like the whole series would just be framed in narratives about what Boston or New York was doing right/wrong versus anything the Brewers were doing.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Since this is the optimism thread, I suppose we can ask… what would be the best [or most fun] potential World Series matchup for the Brewers?

Here are my thoughts…

1) White Sox - Would be some great pitching matchups, and sort of fun that all of the games (home and away) would be easily drivable for local fans. It could trigger some PTSD with having to see LaRussa’s mug all series.

2) Blue Jays - This series would be filled with some really great pitcher (Brewers) versus hitter (Blue Jays) matchups.

3) Oakland - I think this is the matchup I would feel most confident in, so that moves it up the list.

4) Rays - I would spend the series worried the Brewers were going to be outsmarted at every turn, and I’d be a little concerned about scoring enough runs against them. The Adames angle would be fun, but I would also be worried about whether he would be able to do anything offensively at the Trop.

5) Astros - I wouldn’t want to play the Astros, but it’d pretty much guarantee >90% of America was rooting for the Brewers.

6) Red Sox / Yankees - Seems like the whole series would just be framed in narratives about what Boston or New York was doing right/wrong versus anything the Brewers were doing.

Optimism thread! I have analyzed all possible scenarios and come to the conclusion that we would smoke ‘em all. :)

Here are my thoughts…

This is fun! I would probably have the Jays and Rays 1-2 because I like those teams. The possibility of losing to LaRussa...I can't. It would make a WS appearance less fun because of just not wanting to lose to that guy.

Otherwise, I am about in line with this. Brewers in 6, no matter the opponent!

My hopes:

1. Oakland - Let's give that Hollywood Beane a big L.

2. Yankees - A good vs. evil Series.

3. Red Sox - If only to just get them back to LOSING the Fall Classic

4. White Sox - The Crew can take the ChiSox.

5. Rays - Worried about the Trop

6. Astros - Just want to beat them, but more a sense of business.

7. Blue Jays - That offense frightens me.

Once the Bucks won the championship, I immediately thought to myself, "We're going to see Bucks, Brewers and Packers all win championships within a one year period." I feel it in my bones.