Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Cubs scored 7 runs in the top of the 1st inning today...and lost 15-7.

They are the 2nd team in modern MLB history (since 1900) to score 7+ runs in the 1st inning and lose by 7+ runs.

On April 26, 1976, the Giants scored 7 in the 1st inning and also lost 15-7. https://t.co/06q7ZXH9cI

Since this is an optimism thread, I read this as the Brewers are the second team to win a game by 7+ runs after giving up 7 or more runs in the first, and the first team to do so in 45 years.

This one was nice.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

The next two series are against the Pirates and Mets, who are last and 2nd to last in runs scored in all of MLB. With our pitching, I have a good feeling going into these two series.

Appears we will miss DeGrom too. Wins keep coming!

Really? Isn’t he pitching tomorrow? That would put him on schedule to go Tuesday or Weds against us unless my app is wrong.

The next two series are against the Pirates and Mets, who are last and 2nd to last in runs scored in all of MLB. With our pitching, I have a good feeling going into these two series.

Really? Isn’t he pitching tomorrow? That would put him on schedule to go Tuesday or Weds against us unless my app is wrong.

You are indeed correct. I miss read it.

Let’s give DeGrom his first blow up game!! Can’t stop us now!

The way this season is shaping up, I am starting to think it may be our best chance at a WS appearance in my lifetime. One of the teams from the West is likely out in the WC game. It is within the realm of possibility that the Dodgers lose the play-in game. With our rotation, this thing is wide open for us.

Was thinking the same. If this plays out the way it looks having the West teams play in the WC and then play each other in round 1 and MKE gets to skip to the Mets is a huge perk. Let's hope we do well and get homefield vs Mets in such a scenario. Only negative is no homefield in NLCS, but that's more than balanced by having two of the three seemingly best teams (SF has to regress though) being eliminated before we play them. Basically, it seems a very unlikely scenario to play SD and LAD back to back. Add in this is the first time we've had more than 1 top level starting pitcher is a huge advantage over past playoff appearances too.

Since it's the optimism thread. Degrom consistently has small nagging injuries, if he has one of those to finish the year (of course I don't want anything major) it helps. Just saying if he were to be out due to being somewhat injury prone its a huge help. Mets are a scrappy team though and have a lot of other guys coming back from injury that could give a big boost.

It's funny, I noticed that ESPN's website has Burnes squaring off against deGrom on Tuesday and the game will be televised on ESPN that night. However it looks like their schedule is counting the days off as if both Burnes and deGrom are on an every 5th day schedule but we know our rotation is using a 6th man/bullpen day and deGrom's last appearance was June 26, which also suggests he's on a 6th day rotation. So their actual matchup could be on Wednesday instead which I'm sure would mess up their hope that their matchup would come on ESPN's televised game on Tuesday.

Edit: I take that back, I was counting a 31st day in June for some reason. DeGrom does appear to be on a 5th day schedule then.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Verified Member

NL Teams by Winning Pct since beginning of 2017 (through 7/1/21):

.629 Dodgers

.555 Brewers

.553 Cubs

.541 Nationals

.532 Braves

.530 Cardinals

.493 Rockies

.490 Diamondbacks

.482 Mets

.468 Giants

.468 Phillies

.466 Padres

.449 Reds

.438 Pirates

.420 Marlins

Also, since the beginning of the 2017 season, the Brewers have played exactly ONE game at which time they had been eliminated from playoff contention.

NL Teams by Winning Pct since beginning of 2017 (through 7/1/21):

.629 Dodgers

.555 Brewers

.553 Cubs

.541 Nationals

.532 Braves

.530 Cardinals

.493 Rockies

.490 Diamondbacks

.482 Mets

.468 Giants

.468 Phillies

.466 Padres

.449 Reds

.438 Pirates

.420 Marlins

Also, since the beginning of the 2017 season, the Brewers have played exactly ONE game at which time they had been eliminated from playoff contention.

Just add this to the fire Counsell and Stearns threads for good measure.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

On the morning of Friday, June 25th (one week ago) the Brewers and Cubs were both 42-33, tied for 1st place in the NL Central.

By the end of tonight (Friday, July 2nd) the Brewers are 50-33 and have built a 7.5 game lead in the NL Central.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Incredible. It’s just so damn awesome. Keep it going!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

If the Brewers played .500 baseball the rest of the season they’d finish with 90 wins.

Now obviously here in the optimism thread we all know they are going to play much better than that… 100+ win season here we come!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Somewhere out there is a Brewers fan that only started seriously following the Brewers this season and is convinced that Jace Peterson has just always been this good. I've never seen him hit like this ever, he looks like an all star. It's incredible.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Somewhere out there is a Brewers fan that only started seriously following the Brewers this season and is convinced that Jace Peterson has just always been this good. I've never seen him hit like this ever, he looks like an all star. It's incredible.

Haha, true. And he is a left handed hitter. Good for management for sticking with him when he looked pathetic. They’ve got their metrics and reasons for liking guys. Maybe it’s a mirage what he’s doing, but he’s helping the ball club.

Found this interesting, encouraging…..

Brewers have played the 28th hardest schedule (3rd easiest) in baseball thus far according to power rankings guru.

Brewers still have the 26 hardest schedule (5th easiest) in baseball to go.

Cubs have by far the easiest schedule to go and the Reds are at 27th hardest (4th easiest) to go. However, they play each other 10 times yet.

Having a large lead and playing a similar schedule the second half is encouraging. Figuring we are going to add to improve the roster also is encouraging.

http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php

Everything about this team hints that they might just cruise to a division title. Well rounded team, elite pitching, hitting has looked miles better the last month, play great at home, play great on the road, play well against other good teams. We have the best pitching in the division by a mile and the second best offense behind the Reds. Going into the deadline it looks like we just need some fine tweaks and don't need to fill a bunch of black holes.

I know, a long way to go.

Willy Adames may take over for Yelich as the franchise cornerstone. I was putzing around this morning. Here's Willy's past 599 AB's (roughly a full season) in games outside of the trop. This is starting in 2019.

599AB's, 42 2bs, 2 3b, 33HR, 6SB, .295AVG, .365OBP, .905OPS

Community Moderator
Willy Adames may take over for Yelich as the franchise cornerstone. I was putzing around this morning. Here's Willy's past 599 AB's (roughly a full season) in games outside of the trop. This is starting in 2019.

599AB's, 42 2bs, 2 3b, 33HR, 6SB, .295AVG, .365OBP, .905OPS

Thanks for doing the legwork on this. I think there's a lot of reasons to believe the 'couldn't see the ball at the Trop' narrative. If this proves to hold over the rest of the year, I agree that Adames may become a cornerstone for the Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even if he simply maintains his current 247/318/467/785 (combined for 2021), playing excellent SS, and being a team leader, he is a cornerstone. 785 OPS is top 10 for MLB SS right now.

Thinking about him maintaining a 289/369/547/916 (his MKE only 2021 stats) with good D at SS is mind boggling. That would be top 3 for MLB SS - neck-and-neck with Bogaerts and behind Tatis Jr.

This trade turned the season around and could possibly top the Yelich trade for impact.

I could not be more impressed with Adames. Not only his play, but his leadership and team impact.

Verified Member
I really like how the bullpen has come together. They kept shuffling guys until they filled in all the spots in front of Hader and Williams with guys who can go out there in close games. And they have the last spot where they can keep rotating guys in and out.