Brewer Fanatic

2021 Brewers Optimism Thread

josh

Is it time? I think it’s time.

Looking forward to full seasons from Woodruff and Burnes and Williams, Lindblom getting into the zone, Yeli hitting that video room and bouncing back, Kest Daddy rising like a phoenix from the ashes of that sophomore slump, Omar Narvaez hitting like Omar Narvaez, Urias making us the winners of that trade, Lo Cain doing Lo Cain things,... ron-paul-its-happening.gif basically

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our starting OF should give good production with Yeli, LoCain, and Garcia. Think Taylor could settle in real nice as 4th OF. I'm very optimistic about our catchers. Think Narvy will bounce back, Pina is solid, and I still like Nottingham as well (Not sure why he hasn't been considered as a 1st base option)

We have Burnes and Woodruff to lead rotation with D-Train, Hader, and Peralta.

Huira will bounce back.

For rest of infield hmmmm Maybe Urias can break out and Arcia can take another. Vogelbach can carry over success and play D at 1st

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

There will be an offensive rebound from the group that underperformed last year. Maybe not all of them, and maybe others will take a step back (Like Arcia legitimately looked better, not just doing the same thing but getting better results in a small sample. But it takes a lot for me to believe a breakout), but overall offense will be better. Still need at least one addition, but 2020 was an anomaly.

Pitching is where I'm excited. Brewers pitching were "only" 11th in ERA- last year. They were not helped by a defense that ranked 22nd and 23rd by DRS and UZR. LoCain alone should do a lot to help that defense be better. So looking at what the pitchers actually control you can see that the Brewers were tied for 2nd in FIP-, tied for 1st in xFIP-, 2nd in SIERA. By the Statcast metric xwOBA (Quality of Contact + K + BB) Brewers were 3rd. Brewers pitching allowed the lowest average exit velocity in the majors, the 2nd lowest hard hit %, the third lowest average launch angle, and the highest groundball %.

There's something in there for the hardcore sabermetricians, the statistically interested regular fan, and the "old school". Even if you want to bury your head in the sand and ignore any newer measures, it's hard to argue that the combination of weak groundballs and strikeouts is anything other than good. And the pitchers doing this are for the most part either originalyl drafted/signed by the Brewers, or have spent a couple of seasons in the Brewers minor league system. And they weren't "can't miss" big time prospects either. It being a developmental success bodes really well for the ability to keep finding decent pitchers.

On the strength of the pitching, and that these guys are young and controllable with more to come, I feel reason to be optimistic. I liked what I saw from Lindblom once he settled in a bit, and I think he will have a strong season. I think there's a strong chance Brewers take the Reliever of the Year award for a 4th straight year. And, bold prediction time, I think that could happen even if it's not Hader or Williams. Peralta has the potential for it, and to look for an even darker horse: Justin Topa.

I'd like to see a corner IF brought in, but I like where the team is at tbh. I trust this FO, they know what they're doing.

I feel good knowing that if I were to disappear that my sole contribution to this forum would continue on.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm looking forward to baseball. Is that being optimistic?

They're already talking about moving the season back again. Once they start doing that, nothing will stop them from moving it back to July again. So yes you are optimistic.

The union will stop them. They have to agree to the season, and they don't care if there are fans in the stands as they will be paid regardless. The owners are trying to shorten the season to have less games early on when it is more likely the seats will be empty, but the union really has no reason to give in.

Stranger things have happened, so I'm hesitant to make any assumptions, but I believe that we will have a full season of baseball. This is the optimism thread after all.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This can only mean one of two things:

1.) They are best friends and Daniel Robertson will recruit Justin Turner to join the Brewers

and/or

2.) Daniel Robertson is the brand new, younger, less expensive Justin Turner!

4WSraus.png

I hope to god that Robertson turns into the player Justin Turner is because sounds like either him or Urias will be our everyday 3B in 2021.

Adding Wong and getting Cain back will be a huge defensive boost that is going to pay dividends on the entire pitching staff! Also, getting Cain back on the field will add an energy and clubhouse presence that was sorely missed last year!

giphy.gif

Who said anything about Cain returning yet? Did he jump the line and get vaccinated? Seems pretty presumptuous to assume Cain will be around this year. It would shock me, actually, if he is anywhere near Arizona in the next month.

Great signing today.... hope it lengthens the lineup!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Adding Wong and getting Cain back will be a huge defensive boost that is going to pay dividends on the entire pitching staff! Also, getting Cain back on the field will add an energy and clubhouse presence that was sorely missed last year!

giphy.gif

Who said anything about Cain returning yet? Did he jump the line and get vaccinated? Seems pretty presumptuous to assume Cain will be around this year. It would shock me, actually, if he is anywhere near Arizona in the next month.

Are they allowing players to opt out this year? I will be optimistic (like the thread title) and say that no one will opt out!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006