Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think expecting a rookie to go out there and outperform MVS and/or Lazard is asking a lot. And if they aren't outperforming either of those guys then they probably wouldn't have added much this year. Now if you want to say that they needed to draft one to get ready for next year then I won't argue.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think adding a WR (or two) in this years draft is a must. Need to replace/replenish in a couple of seasons from now and have guys ready to go for Love.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He wouldn't need to outplay Lazard/MVS to contribute. As I mentioned, we were down to Adams/MVS and Lazard/MVS at times when injuries hit, with little behind them. Nor did I say it had to be a rookie. We were evaluating several mid-season trades and offseason FAs...

The point was that for most of the season, WR was probably the position we could've most easily upgraded with an impact on the team. (though TE and OT became more key later in the season with some injuries). Even Funchess probably would've had a decent impact if he had played.

Would we have scored more points? Probably. Would we have won more games? That is less clear...

I think someone like Chase Claypool would've had an impact on our team. Maybe not as much as Pittsburg (more chances), but still an impact. We had a couple games where Adams was blanketed and Lazard/MVS did little (i.e. NFC championship). Those would've been the games where someone else might've contributed enough to swing a game the other way.

We had a couple games where Adams was blanketed and Lazard/MVS did little (i.e. NFC championship).

MVS caught 4 balls for 115 yards and a TD against the Bucs, while Lazard caught 3 for 62. Both had very good games.

Sorry, bad example. I must be trying to block that one out... :embarrassed :laughing

St. Brown would be the one to take another jump heading into next year. He lost a season a year ago to injury and was working his way back and showed glimpses of being something. He'd doesn't help the slot position but he's another field stretcher.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think adding another really good TE would help this offense more than another WR who may not see the field much next year anyhow. Adams, MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, and TE 1B would be scary- especially in the red zone.

Yea, draft a WR if you want. They have plenty of picks, I'm still a BPA available guy for the most part. But we were reminded once again you can have an MVP QB but it's tough to win a SB without at least a really good defense. We need more talent there, period. Now that we have an unquestioned genius at the helm on defense, give him a CB, MLB, and a pass rusher. Not sure that's even possible in one year with limited resources, but that's what they need.

I think adding another really good TE would help this offense more than another WR who may not see the field much next year anyhow. Adams, MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, and TE 1B would be scary- especially in the red zone.

Deguara, the TE/FB they drafted last year, is basically this....has anyone heard an update on his injury recovery?

I think I know what people are going to say but what are the thoughts on Richard Sherman?

Had a bad year but all of SF did. Might still have gas. Not SUPER old yet, perhaps not that expensive, and probably willing to sign an incentive-laden deal. Doesn't have to be "the guy" either.

Actually very intrigued re: Sherman...if he's healthy he'd be a great fit as a #2 corner, particularly with GB having good safeties behind him. As long as the defensive scheme doesn't require him to be playing press man all day long, I'd bring him in on an incentive-laden deal. He's stated that he wants to go to a contender...

Saw from Eli Berkovits (Packer Report writer) that James White is very interested in coming to Green Bay.

I think White would be a great fit for this team. Should be cheap. Should see plenty of pass catching opportunities, could take the 3rd down work with Dillon getting early downs. I'm assuming both Jones and Williams are gone.

They're going to need a RB anyway if both guys leave, but I know the Packers are more bullish than most about Dillon's role in the passing game. I think it's safe to say Williams is gone. They'd have signed him by now. Jones might have a chance if the market isn't there, but I'd say it's like 10% that he stays. For some reason I see him in Buffalo.

Uh JJ Watt just got released.

I was iffy on giving up picks to get him but if they can sign him as a FA? Sure, yes, today.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The question is whether Watt wants to come to Green Bay vs. playing with his brothers in Pittsburgh.

If he prioritizes chasing a ring it's easily GB over Pitt. Add in all the Wisconsin connections and I think playing for GB would be pretty special for him.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

And also whether the Packers want him which I'm going to guess they don't.

You may not be wrong, but I'd hope that they'd think that Watt is a massive upgrade vs. the stiffs they've put out there at DE. Lowry/Lancaster are the definition of replaceable parts.

The question is whether Watt wants to come to Green Bay vs. playing with his brothers in Pittsburgh.

And also whether the Packers want him which I'm going to guess they don't. If he actually wants a contender, Pittsburgh is in a lot of trouble. They're coming back worse, not better.

If they part ways with Preston Smith I could see them working something out. Depends what kind of payday Watt would command on the open market. I agree that Green Bay would probably not be interested if he's seeking to maximize his market value.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Lol at the Packers signing Watt. I would love love love it. I’d probably buy my first ever Packers player jersey, but the FO will not be signing free agents like Watt. If any FA ever. If not GB, I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and plays with his bros.

Sort of an odd take. They signed the Smith Bros two offseasons ago, were in on trading for Mack and signing Allen Robinson. This isn't Ted Thompson anymore.

Lol at the Packers signing Watt. I would love love love it. I’d probably buy my first ever Packers player jersey, but the FO will not be signing free agents like Watt. If any FA ever. If not GB, I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and plays with his bros.

You realize that this FO has signed more free agents in 3 years than the previous FO did in like 15, right?