Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Today's interview with McAfee is going much better than the last one.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Again, not saying he won't be successful, but it has been a bit concerning so far. Even if he does work out it looks like that could be years away. Hopefully he doesn't show some promise right before he hits FA and we get into one of those awkward situations where we pay him a massive contract in desperation just to watch him become a Kirk Cousins or Mitch Trubisky.

Not directly replying to you TPlush, but I'm using your comment here to make a point.

It really bugged me that people were all up in arms about Love being drafted because "a team drafts a first round QB to start him". Yet, all draft profiles said that he had the skills but wasn't ready yet. Plus Rodgers didn't start - for three years (nor looked great initially). Mahommes didn't start his first year (and he was ready).

Frankly, I was encouraged by the game, because I saw improvement right in the game. He still has work to do and things to learn. But he is already better than Hundley. And anyone remember Favre's early years when he was almost benched for Brunell? People keep talking about how the best way to win a SB is with a QB on his rookie contract, but the reason it doesn't happen often is that rookie QBs take time to develop.

IMO drafting a "project" QB in the 1st round isn't really an efficient way of building a contender. Nothing wrong with sitting behind a guy for a year like Mahomes did but your biggest benefit of these young star QBs is getting them on a rookie contract. Maybe it worked a little better in the early Rodgers era but now you let a guy sit for 3 years and all of the sudden you've only got one year left of his rookie contract and its basically still an evaluation year.

You're comparing Favre to modern rookie QBs when you're looking at two different eras 30 years apart (and Favre was quite good in his early years). Yes this current rookie class has been a big letdown but it doesn't always work that day. Mahomes, Wilson, Herbert, Watson, Murray, these guys were very good, very quickly. Mahomes and Wilson both won SBs on their rookie deals.

As far as comparing Love to Hundley, well I should hope he's better than Hundley, a 5th round pick who was never expected to start in the NFL.

I could resurrect my post where I analyzed the SB winners (and losers) for the last 20 years, but I won't bother. The spoiler is that QBs on their rookie contract comprise a minority percentage of SB winning and losing teams. And most QBs in the last 20 years that won the SB on their rookie contract won it on the final year of it (off the top of my head, only Wilson and Brady won prior to the final year and only 6 rookie contract QB winners in total - Brady twice).

The point is that even QBs that are initially "ready" take time to actually develop into SB winners.

Since we are closing in on 100 pages, I'm gonna lock this thread and start a new one. I'll copy over the OBJ stuff. Gimme a few minutes.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006