Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

To me it's not at all about him testing positive for COVID and being unvaccinated - it has everything to do with him parsing words/misleading whether he was vaccinated months ago at that presser, and then him appearing in public settings in a way that vaccinated players would for the past few months per Packers/NFL COVID protocols when they all knew he wasn't vaxxed. It's yet another example of the "rules for thee, not for me" crap that's been going on for close to two years that continues to prove all of this is largely a farce when it comes right down to it due to selective enforcement. There are thousands of people currently losing their jobs because of a personal medical decision, and then you have Rodgers trying to be clever with how he answers questions with the intent of avoiding public scrutiny for his own medical decision despite the NFL having a viable option for him to continue playing while being unvaccinated.

Allen Lazard and other unvaccinated Packers have had press availabilities via Zoom, not in-person pressers. Lazard also missed last week's game because he was deemed a close contact to Adams (who was vaxxed and still got COVID) - Lazard didn't ever have COVID, but he was unvaccinated so the protocol required him stay away from team activities for 5 days. Guessing there was probably decent reason to consider Rodgers a close contact to Adams last week as well and there damn well would've been a reason to consider him a close contact to Benkert early this week - but ARod didn't get removed from team activities until he actually tested positive yesterday morning. That sure seems to be a different set of rules for players of different stature who are intentionally being misleading publicly, and that's what should piss everyone off.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, other than A) Rodgers testing positive, hopefully symptoms are mild and his health isn't severely threatened, B) assuming he's fine, it has affected his availability to be on the field helping the team win, the worst part is that he wasn't upfront and honest about his status. He gambled he'd be ok and lost, now he's taking the hit for it and it looks worse than if he'd just taken the heat upfront.

Although just saying that, he'd still be roasted even if he had been upfront so maybe he made the right decision about that anyway. Instead of a media firestorm twice he's only taking it once.

Edit: I shouldn't call it the "right" decision but hopefully my point is understood even if I didn't say it well.

Edited by SeaBass
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I’m looking forward to watching Jordan Love. Unlike the poverty franchises who refuse to redshirt their first round QBs, Love has a year and a half of seasoning under his belt. He might flop, but he also might excel.

That would piss off so many other teams' fanbases ... along with a portion of ours. Can you imagine if Jordan Love actually turns out to be a good QB, though? Talk about a franchise with a lucky rabbit's foot!

I’m trying to manage my expectations around Love. Only 1/3 of quarterbacks taken in the first round actually turn out to be long term starters, but I can’t help but feel a little charmed knowing Love was such a conviction pick by Management and the Packers have been so blessed in the QB department. It’s giving me a good reason to tune in and watch during an otherwise crummy week for the Pack.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’m looking forward to watching Jordan Love. Unlike the poverty franchises who refuse to redshirt their first round QBs, Love has a year and a half of seasoning under his belt. He might flop, but he also might excel.

That would piss off so many other teams' fanbases ... along with a portion of ours. Can you imagine if Jordan Love actually turns out to be a good QB, though? Talk about a franchise with a lucky rabbit's foot!

Bears fans would literally cry

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The immunized / non-vaccinated storyline aside, this really isn’t a bad situation for the Packers..

Now that the NFL has issued a 'we're looking into the situation' statement, I'm more concerned there's a possibility of losing draft picks as a way to make an example. Nevermind, of course, that the NFL is almost certainly culpable here, as they undoubtedly were aware of his status.

Can you imagine back to back to back HOF QBs? Ha!

It really can't be stated enough that 1 - I hope Aaron doesn't get symptomatic because after seeing it first hand I wouldn't wish it on anyone and 2 - I hope that he doesn't have lingering symptoms that could effect his play for this team.

In my opinion, everything else is just noise and speculation at this point. This is a sports message board, so I'm not saying that the details shouldn't be discussed, just that for me, I am looking forward to seeing Love play a couple games and waiting for weekly updates on Aaron's health the same way I would be if he had a sprain or deep bruise.

After Love was picked, I've had Viking fan friends of mine literally say this... "I'm sure the Packers just found another HOF QB!"

It's kind of crazy to think there are people in their late 20's who have seen roughly 99% of Packers games with a HOF starting QB.

(Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, Seneca Wallace, and Brett Hundley are the answer to the trivia question you are asking yourself right now)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's kind of crazy to think there are people in their late 20's who have seen roughly 99% of Packers games with a HOF starting QB.

(Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, Seneca Wallace, and Brett Hundley are the answer to the trivia question you are asking yourself right now)

Try guessing all three QBs that started a game for the Packers in the year prior to Favre. Old Packers fans can probably get two of them...but there is a trickier #3.

Try guessing all three QBs that started a game for the Packers in the year prior to Favre. Old Packers fans can probably get two of them...but there is a trickier #3.

Don Majkowski, Mike Tomczak and ... Blair Kiel? Or maybe Anthony Dilweg?

I had Majik and then was thinking Dilweg but that was two years prior. I won't spoil the other 2 names after I had to look it up.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I had Majik and then was thinking Dilweg but that was two years prior. I won't spoil the other 2 names after I had to look it up.

I think one is arguably and sadly the most successful QB to come out of Ohio State at least since 1980. I believe the other had multiple stints as the Packers’ No. 3 QB.

I think one is arguably and sadly the most successful QB to come out of Ohio State at least since 1980. I believe the other had multiple stints as the Packers’ No. 3 QB.

He didn't start, but thanks to your trivia question I ended up thinking about the TJ Rubley incident for the first time in a long time.

He didn't start, but thanks to your trivia question I ended up thinking about the TJ Rubley incident for the first time in a long time.

I'll stay out of Tplush's trivia because I looked it up yesterday.

But to your post....is that play generally known as the "TJ Rubley Incident"? Because my brothers and I have always called it that but I thought that was just us.

As an aside, "The TJ Rubley Incident" is a good band name. As is "Tito Horford Project".

I don't know if that's the generally accepted term, but anyone who was a Packer fan at the time it happened certainly will know exactly what "The TJ Rubley Incident" refers to. Or as a verb, to Rubley the game away. Or simply "pulling a Rubley" works too.

It’s pretty amazing to think that out of all the people in the world, only 15 or so actually look good playing quarterback at the professional level and maybe another 50 look semi-competent. Guys like T.J. Rubley and Scott Tolzien, who at one point were among the Top 100 in their profession, looked downright incompetent when in the spotlight.

I thought Tolzien looked OK. Certainly more than I expected of him coming out of college. No HOF, but he didn't embarrass himself either. Certainly no Rubley or even Hundley.

Tolzien was officially 0-2-1 as the Packers’s starter, but was on his way to 0-3 until Matt Flynn salvaged a tie against the Vikings. He threw 1TD and 5 INTs with a 66.1 passer rating. That’s about what you’d expect from QB3.

I’m not knocking Tolzien. Clearly, by playing 7 years in the NFL, he was at the pinnacle of his profession. That’s just life in the NFL without an Aaron Rodgers (or even a Matt Flynn).

Speaking of Wisconsin QBs, this guy did ok for himself:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/jim-sorgi-5046/cash-earnings/

Not bad for 16 games played over 6 seasons.

I'd argue that back-up QB on a good team is about the best gig out there. Rake in the 6 figure salary, your done for the most part taking the physical punishment. Up here in Viking country I can confirm even the whiff of the possibility that Love turns into a great QB drives 'em jealous beyond reason. I remember those other back-up QBs as well, so I keep it civil knowing it can indeed turn at any moment.