Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

JJ Watt officially out tomorrow. Game just got more winnable.

Looks like he needs shoulder surgery and is likely out for the season.

Consider that a bullet dodged.

That stinks. Guy just can't catch a break health-wise.

It does. Watt is an excellent player, and seems like a good dude too. But the wear and tear playing DE for a decade in the NFL has broken his body to the point where he simply cannot hold up any longer.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hill torn ACL. Tonyan sounds like also suffered a serious injury. Wondering what other moves Gute might have ahead of the deadline next week.

With the Rodgers uncertainty beyond this year, I think the front office will continue being aggressive. Names like Evan Engram, Brandin Cooks, Kyle Fuller, even somebody like Marlon Mack all could be nice additions.

Tough break for Hill. Poor guy.

With Jones and Dillon still healthy (knock on wood), I’d like to see them find a sure-handed vet for the RB3 / KR role. No razzle dazzle necessary. Just hang on to the ball and know when to take a touchback.

Pretty obvious last night, but now confirmed that Robert Tonyan suffered a torn left ACL, and is out for the year. Pretty brutal loss after the team had finally identified a game-changing type TE after years of looking and cycling through guys. Will be interesting to see if they plan to fill his role with the combo of Deguara, Daffney and Davis, or if they seek out someone from outside the organization. I suppose they could bring back Sternberger (I think he's on a practice squad somewhere).

Feels like this is a decent year to be a buyer at the deadline. Available draft capital, expectedly back-of-round picks, and a year where a couple of key additions could really help us work around some harsh injuries. Cap is a problem, but I'd think that trades could be squeezed in from where they're currently at to acquire a guy or two.

I thought the cap would be an issue for adding at the trade deadline, but the Packers are apparently the only NFC team above .500 with more than $5 million in available 2021 cap space:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-sit-in-perfect-position-to-make-trade-addition-for-aaron-rodgers-or-they-can-keep-repeating-past-mistakes-160712787.html

Just hang on to the ball and know when to take a touchback.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they took a touchback every single time the rest of the season.

I think everyone should whenever possible and fair catch every punt. IT's so rare to get anything big/significant it's not worth it. A huge chunk of kick and punt returns also end up with a penalty. Seems completely not worth the risk to me. Especially now that kickoffs go to the 25. getting past the 30 is very tough then throw in penalty/fumble risk. Punts are different because I get the why not take the 3-6 yds if you can, so I see the debate there but I'd probably be happy not risking fumble and penalty.

I thought the cap would be an issue for adding at the trade deadline, but the Packers are apparently the only NFC team above .500 with more than $5 million in available 2021 cap space:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-sit-in-perfect-position-to-make-trade-addition-for-aaron-rodgers-or-they-can-keep-repeating-past-mistakes-160712787.html

Would love to see them be aggressive here. You have to feel pretty good about dealing some of your current draft capital because if Rodgers comes back, those 4-7 round picks might not even make the roster, and if Rodgers decides he's done in Green Bay, you're going to trade him for a boat load of picks anyways.

I never thought I'd say this but they should trade Jordan Love. It doesn't really matter to me if you don't get back the pick you used (you won't). There's a time to admit we jumped the gun on drafting him and do something now. It would fire up Rodgers, he'd likely be back...and I think they made a big mistake evaluating when his play would steeply fall off. A factor here obviously is what kind of talks they had about Rodgers's future behind closed doors. But I just have a feeling Rodgers left the door open to continuing to play here.

Personally I think Rodgers is going to be like Brady and play very well (somewhere) into his 40s. I don't want to take this thread down the Rodgers saga again though.

I dunno what they do at TE, but signing Cobb looks far less silly than it did in August.

I never thought I'd say this but they should trade Jordan Love. It doesn't really matter to me if you don't get back the pick you used (you won't). There's a time to admit we jumped the gun on drafting him and do something now. It would fire up Rodgers, he'd likely be back...and I think they made a big mistake evaluating when his play would steeply fall off. A factor here obviously is what kind of talks they had about Rodgers's future behind closed doors. But I just have a feeling Rodgers left the door open to continuing to play here.

Personally I think Rodgers is going to be like Brady and play very well (somewhere) into his 40s. I don't want to take this thread down the Rodgers saga again though.

I dunno what they do at TE, but signing Cobb looks far less silly than it did in August.

I don't disagree, but I think you get back the most value trading Love during the offseason. Also, no chance I trade him unless you have reworked a deal with Rodgers and he is for sure here for the long haul. The risk of trading Love and then having Rodgers leave during the offseason would be way worse then Rodgers leaving and Love not panning out.

No to trading Love - at least not until this offseason after the ink dries on a Rodgers contract extension that gives them longterm certainty at the position and gets them out of cap hell. After this last offseason it wouldn't surprise me for Rodgers to say all the right things all season long, have Love get traded, and then Rodgers still forces his way out next spring.

If the rumors about the team offering Rodgers a legit long term extension before the season are true I'd hope that is one of the big reasons Rodgers has been so positive and happy this season, talking about having fun and saying it didn't feel like his last time playing in Chicago, presumably meaning as a Packer. I'm also not against trading Love, maybe in the offseason would make more sense but if they trade him sooner I'm ok with it.

I want AR around for many more years and that's a bit of a turnaround from how I was feeling this offseason. This has been such a fun season I'd hate for it to all go away after it's over.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

No to trading Love - at least not until this offseason after the ink dries on a Rodgers contract extension that gives them longterm certainty at the position and gets them out of cap hell. After this last offseason it wouldn't surprise me for Rodgers to say all the right things all season long, have Love get traded, and then Rodgers still forces his way out next spring.

I think this is all assumed by anyone saying Trade Love. You obviously do it if you know Rodgers is staying and in a way that makes sense.

How would you view trading him as kind of a move to kind of get on the good side or Rodgers to stay? As in, it's not guaranteed but you do it as a kind of selling point or way to kind of kiss up to him. So, no guarantee from Rodgers but you're showing him you're all in on him now. It's probably a minimal help but is that little help worth the risk? IDK, you're probably going to be bad anyway (unless they're really confident Love is legit, personally I thought he looked fine in the small preseason snaps) so if you have to play Teddy Bridgewater for a year until you get a high pick new QB so be it.

How would you view trading him as kind of a move to kind of get on the good side or Rodgers to stay? As in, it's not guaranteed but you do it as a kind of selling point or way to kind of kiss up to him. So, no guarantee from Rodgers but you're showing him you're all in on him now. It's probably a minimal help but is that little help worth the risk? IDK, you're probably going to be bad anyway (unless they're really confident Love is legit, personally I thought he looked fine in the small preseason snaps) so if you have to play Teddy Bridgewater for a year until you get a high pick new QB so be it.

Rodgers is pretty damn insecure if trading Love makes the difference between him staying or leaving.

I know everything looks hunky doory right now but I have my doubts that Rodgers is feeling the same way if or when the season ends in another playoff heartbreaker. I would guess all the vibes and emotions exactly one year ago were also quite positive.

Rodgers is pretty damn insecure if trading Love makes the difference between him staying or leaving.

I know everything looks hunky doory right now but I have my doubts that Rodgers is feeling the same way if or when the season ends in another playoff heartbreaker. I would guess all the vibes and emotions exactly one year ago were also quite positive.

I don't know, I've always suspected Rodgers thought they were going to win it last year and then he was going to try to go somewhere else or get Love traded. He likely also thought they'd win and have to cave in to him. Had they won the Super Bowl, I don't think he would have reported to camp with Love on the team.

I also don't think it's really a matter of insecurity. It's that he wanted the commitment, didn't want to be a sitting duck. I have my personal opinions on Rodgers's temperament in general...but I can't really say I fault the guy for wanting to know where he'll be in 2 years, especially at his age. And let's be honest, anyone as good as he is would feel they deserve that kind of special treatment.