Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Rashan Gary is a stud, and I kinda love it. Lots of egg on the faces of the barstool GMs.

Gute's 2019 draft is pretty impressive despite not having a ton of picks....Gary, Savage, jenkins are a pretty solid 1st 3 picks

I still see some angst around Gary on here and I don't really get it...as he's figured out how to play OLB in this system he has become really solid against both the run and pass.

The angst is just the fact that as of now, every 1st round DT/DE or LB drafted behind Gary, according to profootballreference has provided more value than Gary has. He was the Uber project but legit 4 others at essentially the exact same role were on the board. Making matters worse was how high they must have thought on Savage. The fact you didn't find a trade partner to move down is why Gary was a bad pick. He's at least starting to live up to that value drafted but as mentioned above, the immediate impact should have been there at 12 not a project who becomes expensive around the time he lives up to #12. Montez Sweat is a better player drafted last of those 4 clone types after Gary. Hundreds in trade value opportunity missed.

The profootballreference value stuff might have some value 10 years out, but after three years, outside of a few elite guys it seems to be mostly just playing time, whether the player was any good or not. Basically if I remember correctly, you had three defenders on the board with top 10 talent each with a different red flag that led to them being available: health (Sweat), rawness (Gary) and injury (Simmons). It actually looks like all three are going to turn out, which is pretty remarkable given draft percentages, and the Packers took the one they were likely most comfortable with. Also, outside of Sweat and Burns (who didn't fit the defense at the time as a pure speed rusher), who are the other two you're talking about? I can't remember any other pass rushers on the board who were talked about going anywhere near 12.

Also, there are precious few cases where you you can trade down and be sure you're still going to get your guy, and Gary (or Savage if that was the pick you were talking about) wasn't among those.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, isn't that nice?

They don't know yet if he has tested positive or was just in close contact with someone who has. They have confirmed that Adams is fully vaccinated, so he just has to have two negative tests this week in order to play on Thursday night.

He tested positive, based on numerous sources. Pretty sure just being a close contact for someone who is considered to be fully vaccinated isn't grounds alone to get put on that list, although that might warrant the need for him to take a test and find out he was asymptomatic positive.

no way Corbin Burnes wins the Cy Young now

You can't just white flag 6% of your schedule when only 7 teams make the postseason and like 5 are undefeated or have one loss.

If Rodgers plays, I think it's a competitive game no matter who plays WR. The Packers once took a 14-2 Patriots team to the brink...without Rodgers. You try to win every game in the NFL, save for maybe the last week of the year if it really doesn't matter.

You can't just white flag 6% of your schedule when only 7 teams make the postseason and like 5 are undefeated or have one loss.

If Rodgers plays, I think it's a competitive game no matter who plays WR. The Packers once took a 14-2 Patriots team to the brink...without Rodgers. You try to win every game in the NFL, save for maybe the last week of the year if it really doesn't matter.

They're not in any danger of missing the playoffs. I'd be shocked if we didn't win the division. I just don't see any way we can win this game. The defense is going to get steamrolled and the Cardinals will most definitely load the box against our running game. Games like the Pats are the exception the vast majority of the time. I know sitting out Rodgers is not going to happen but this one may get ugly fast and Love will be in sometime during the third quarter.

I haven't seen he Cardinals enough to have an opinion if we can beat them but they are due to lose and we can still score if no one else goes down. Jones will be more involved in the passing game, we still have Rodgers and a few weapons. I am still going to watch, maybe a breakout game for Amari Rodgers? Just saw we have someone named Juwann Winfree

Thursday night games are so random to begin with - although I will say it seems like the road team in those contests seems to be at a decided disadvantage with having to travel on that short week even if they are healthy and considered the favorite.

Would be great for MVS to be able to go, but if not you just roll with heavier TE/RB packages on offense.

No way do you just punt on a football game before opening kickoff - you at least see how the game unfolds and if it's a laugher early in the 2nd half then you can consider calling off the dogs and throwing Rodgers a clipboard. Truth is with rosters as limited as they are on gameday it's tough to sit a big chunk of starters anyway, which could also wind up leading to fatigue/injury.

I still see this as a contested game the Packers can win.

They're not in any danger of missing the playoffs. I'd be shocked if we didn't win the division. I just don't see any way we can win this game. The defense is going to get steamrolled and the Cardinals will most definitely load the box against our running game. Games like the Pats are the exception the vast majority of the time. I know sitting out Rodgers is not going to happen but this one may get ugly fast and Love will be in sometime during the third quarter.

I think you're vastly overrating the Cardinals. They are good no doubt, would be favored at home even if Adams and others were playing, but I would be surprised if the Packers get steamrolled in this game. Lafleur has proven to be too good of an offensive mind to let Adams being out derail the entire group and on top of that, you have Rodgers who has done more in the past with a worse supporting cast.

Aside from that, can't think of a faster way to lose a locker room than blatantly punting a game midseason. Sitting Rodgers is comical.

The Packers offense will be fine Thursday. They had numerous games last season where they were missing Davante and were mostly fine. Good opportunity for Tonyan, Cobb, maybe MVS, etc to step up.

Unless I missed Rodgers being added to the COVID list, the absence of Davante and Lazard doesn't make the game unwinnable.

And yeah, playing it like a preseason game in Week 8 of the regular season just because you're down two wideouts would be a pretty big slap in the face to the rest of the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was at that game. Woodson dropped a sure-fire pick six that hit him right in the stomach. Grrrrrr.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think you're vastly overrating the Cardinals. They are good no doubt, would be favored at home even if Adams and others were playing, but I would be surprised if the Packers get steamrolled in this game. Lafleur has proven to be too good of an offensive mind to let Adams being out derail the entire group and on top of that, you have Rodgers who has done more in the past with a worse supporting cast.

Aside from that, can't think of a faster way to lose a locker room than blatantly punting a game midseason. Sitting Rodgers is comical.

The Packers, Cardinals, Bucs, Rams and Cowboys are the class of the NFC and then a significant drop off. Out of those five teams, the Cardinals and the Bucs are the two best teams that I predict will be the matchup in the NFCCG. As fans I think most of us tend to overvalue our players and in this case, especially our wide receivers. It's Adams, who I believe is the best WR in the NFL, and once again a significant drop off. Who's the legit #2 on this team? Cobb is old and just a possession receiver at this point in his career. MVS drops way too many passes. Lazard is a nice player but a #3 at best. Rodgers is a rookie that has seen limited action so far and hopefully will blossom into a #2 in the not too distant future. Honestly I would take any of the other four team's #3 over our #2, whoever that is.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we got curbstomped, given this teams track record in prime time and most of our losses during the MLF era have been blowouts or losses that would suggest that a close score was not indicative of how lopsided the game was. Sorry to be pessimistic, I just think we have about a 5% chance of winning this game, and losing would hardly be a death blow to our playoff chances.

I don't think anyone thinks losing to Arizona is going to be super damaging to our playoff chances. But that doesn't mean there isn't reason to try to win it.

I like how Rodgers plays when he can't lean on Adams. He tends to spread the ball out and get everyone involved.

^That is a lot to take in. Begrudging the WR group is...odd, coming off a season where Rodgers tossed like 50 TDs. MVS hasn't played in a month.

Their WRs are fine. I believe Tampa is the best team, but there is no clear-cut favorite, and it's not as simple as the top 2 meet in the NFCCG because the seeding doesn't always work out. For all we know right now, Tampa and AZ will play each other in the first round. The West is almost certainly going to cause some odd 1st round matchups.

They also don't need a clear-cut #2. People way get way too caught up in this kind of thing. You can win with an ensemble of Tonyan-Jones-Dillon-Lazard-Cobb-MVS. It's fine.

In any case...there are far more random outcomes in thee NFL than Rodgers beating the Cardinals. This team should be playing for a 1st round bye, not white flagging because Adams can't play. C'mon man. You have to know that is silly sounding.

Yes, you can win with that ensemble. Regular season games that is, not against top tier teams like the Cardinals. The Packers win those games because Rodgers is a great quarterback that makes those receivers better than they actually are, much like what Brady did in New England. Let me put it this way. The #2 receiver on the team is the running back.

Aaron Rodgers in last 6 games without Davante Adams:

• 142/202

• 1,865 yards

• 17 TDs, 1 INT

• 125.2 passer rating

• 6-0

I also saw a rumor on another board that Adams tested negative today. If that is truly the case, he should be good to play on Thursday if he has another negative test tomorrow.

ETA: Why does it matter if the #2 receiver is the RB? We’re talking about 1 game here, you cobble together a workable line up and go with it.

There has never been close to five undefeated/one loss teams in a season.

I don't think he was implying that 5 teams are going to finish 16-1 or better, just that 5 are currently one loss or better and therefore it's going to be pretty competitive at the top in the NFC.

I don't think he was implying that 5 teams are going to finish 16-1 or better, just that 5 are currently one loss or better and therefore it's going to be pretty competitive at the top in the NFC.

Ok that makes sense. Also I don't think anyone's going to be white flagging a game no matter what. No load management in a 17 game schedule unless everything is clinched.

Yes, you can win with that ensemble. Regular season games that is, not against top tier teams like the Cardinals. The Packers win those games because Rodgers is a great quarterback that makes those receivers better than they actually are, much like what Brady did in New England. Let me put it this way. The #2 receiver on the team is the running back.

They were a drive away from being in the Super Bowl last year. You are talking about them like they suck.

The #2 passing target being a really good RB isn't all that uncommon.

This is starting to sound a lot like the Bucks are doomed because they don't have the will to win...

Some of you are making it sound like the Packers have turned into Western Michigan or something. I think it's a close game. Look for them to go jumbo, lots of mult TE/RB packages. Run the ball, dink and dunk, eat clock. Once AZ starts jumping on everything hit a couple deep shots.

This could be "rally the troops" type of game. AZ is a really good football team, but they're not some juggernaut that can't be beaten.

I know where you’re coming from, but many NBA stars sit out 6% of their schedule (~5 games) in the name of load management. If the NFL is going to keep adding games to the schedule and making the 17th (and 18th) game un-balanced (good teams playing good teams), I wouldn’t be surprised if you start seeing teams take strategic losses. It’s never been easier to make the playoffs. This week is a perfect case - the Packers are beat up, short-handed due to COVID, and traveling across the country to play an undefeated team on 4 days rest. I don’t think it will happen, but I can’t think of a more appropriate situation to strategically take an L.

Of course, I will (deservedly) take some arrows if they win on TNF (and I hope they do - Go Pack!), but I just don’t see it happening.

I know where you’re coming from, but many NBA stars sit out 6% of their schedule (~5 games) in the name of load management. If the NFL is going to keep adding games to the schedule and making the 17th (and 18th) game un-balanced (good teams playing good teams), I wouldn’t be surprised if you start seeing teams take strategic losses. It’s never been easier to make the playoffs. This week is a perfect case - the Packers are beat up, short-handed due to COVID, and traveling across the country to play an undefeated team on 4 days rest. I don’t think it will happen, but I can’t think of a more appropriate situation to strategically take an L.

Of course, I will (deservedly) take some arrows if they win on TNF (and I hope they do - Go Pack!), but I just don’t see it happening.

The NFL has 6 days built into every week for load management. They're not playing 82 games every other night for 8 months. And over half the league makes the postseason.

Sorry, but the idea that the Packers should surrender a game against a team they could beat and potentially grab pole position for a bye, because they're down a couple of WRs, is absurd.

The Packers are a virtual lock for the playoffs whether they win or lose by 30 tomorrow. But using that rationale we should win 10 games and then bench everyone. But, please, for the sake of my sanity, can we get a group agreement that if the Packers lose, we don't have 3 people here saying we should have load managed the game.