Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Rashan Gary is a stud, and I kinda love it. Lots of egg on the faces of the barstool GMs.

I still see some angst around Gary on here and I don't really get it...

He doesn't sack totals and most people just Google a guy's name and check the number of sacks.

It’s not just the sack total, but the snap total through his first 2 years. Why commit so much to the Smiths and then use the #12 overall pick on a backup? I get the sack numbers don’t tell the whole story. It’s obvious Gary is impacting games now - but is it enough to warrant his selection? I don’t know.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought the whole "Gary was a terrible pick" thing was put to bed last season. I guess there were a few stragglers.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll be very happy if they can go 3 - 2 over the next 5. Hopefully, they can get up to full health by the end of that run but I am not holding my breath on Alexander which, if he can't come back, severely tempers my overall enthusiasm.

Also, the Bengals are the current #1 seed in the AFC. That road win might look pretty good eventually.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remain steadfast in believing the #12 overall pick should have been a stud from Day 1.

That's a pretty unreasonable standard.

Is it? Unless you’re taking a QB, you should at least be getting a Day 1 starter at #12. The book on Gary is incomplete, but I don’t think I’m wrong in questioning whether that pick was the best use of draft capital.

You didn't say starter, you said stud, which to me means you're getting a true impact pass rusher. That is the ideal scenario and we can go down the line and pick out random guys that do a lot as rookies, but generally pass rushers are like receivers; they usually do take some time to find a groove.

In his second year, Gary was an impact player. Not the kind of every down player people want him to be apparently but it was clear he could play.

I don't really care about his snap totals either tbh. He was drafted to be a rusher and with the depth chart they had he just fit naturally into the PRS role. Now he's taking another step up and looks like a really good player.

Of course there's always the argument the pick could have used somewhere else, but to me you can always use pass rushers and if they liked him I have no issue with the pick. The Draft is the ultimate crapshoot anyway so I'm more than happy to have the league's leading pressure-guy in the middle of his 3rd season.

Anyone still bemoaning the pick at this point...just feels a bit like digging one's heels in on a poorly aged take. A bit of goal post moving from "this guy sucks" to "OK, so he looks good, but we needed a CB more 3 years ago!"

Rashan Gary is a stud, and I kinda love it. Lots of egg on the faces of the barstool GMs.

Gute's 2019 draft is pretty impressive despite not having a ton of picks....Gary, Savage, jenkins are a pretty solid 1st 3 picks

I still see some angst around Gary on here and I don't really get it...as he's figured out how to play OLB in this system he has become really solid against both the run and pass.

The angst is just the fact that as of now, every 1st round DT/DE or LB drafted behind Gary, according to profootballreference has provided more value than Gary has. He was the Uber project but legit 4 others at essentially the exact same role were on the board. Making matters worse was how high they must have thought on Savage. The fact you didn't find a trade partner to move down is why Gary was a bad pick. He's at least starting to live up to that value drafted but as mentioned above, the immediate impact should have been there at 12 not a project who becomes expensive around the time he lives up to #12. Montez Sweat is a better player drafted last of those 4 clone types after Gary. Hundreds in trade value opportunity missed.

Anyone still bemoaning the pick at this point...just feels a bit like digging one's heels in on a poorly aged take.

I think this is right in a lot of ways.

The current FO have more than proven that they know how to draft pretty well, so Gary's development wasn't some sort of unexpected pattern/trajectory. He's proving to be exactly who they thought he was and why they took him at 12. They likely took more of a project at 12 because they loved his potential and knew they could draft more for need with another 1st in their back pocket that draft. The fact that he's graded out as one of the best EDGE rushers in the league this year means they were right on his potential and future importance to the team, with his PT ramping up while the Smiths would likely be ending their time in GB, which is exactly where we are.

Gute's 2019 draft is pretty impressive despite not having a ton of picks....Gary, Savage, jenkins are a pretty solid 1st 3 picks

I still see some angst around Gary on here and I don't really get it...as he's figured out how to play OLB in this system he has become really solid against both the run and pass.

The angst is just the fact that as of now, every 1st round DT/DE or LB drafted behind Gary, according to profootballreference has provided more value than Gary has. He was the Uber project but legit 4 others at essentially the exact same role were on the board. Making matters worse was how high they must have thought on Savage. The fact you didn't find a trade partner to move down is why Gary was a bad pick. He's at least starting to live up to that value drafted but as mentioned above, the immediate impact should have been there at 12 not a project who becomes expensive around the time he lives up to #12. Montez Sweat is a better player drafted last of those 4 clone types after Gary. Hundreds in trade value opportunity missed.

I think you could've at least come up with a better specific example to try making your point that's entirely aided by 20/20 draft hindsight. Montez Sweat would've gotten picked in the top ten of that draft had he not had a misdiagnosed heart condition - which caused quite a few teams to leave him off their board entirely. The word of the misdiagnosis didn't occur until the morning of the draft following a 2nd medical opinion, so teams were still hesitant about it. Plus, Sweat profiles much more like a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB or lineman. I put zero stock in postdraft hypotheticals that always assume teams had their pick of suitors to trade down with and still get the same player they apparently overdrafted ~15 picks later - oftentimes it's just not a realistic approach to determining whether a draft pick was great/good/awful.

Gary was picked as a development project due to his freakish size/athleticism combo - he didn't do much in 2019 but still saw time on the field, and he didn't get the benefit of a full offseason and training camp to continue developing in 2020 due to COVID. Despite that, by the second half of last season Gary was one of the better defensive players on their roster - now he's right up there with Kenny Clark in terms of impact on the defensive front for this team in year 3.

I still feel pretty uncertain as to what the Packers are. I don't think their offense is at full speed yet. I'm just not sure what the ceiling is defensively. Don't know how healthy they will be at the end, and it's hard to gauge that with so many guys you hope to see in December/January not playing this week.

I'll be really happy if they just don't get laughed out of AZ. At least make it competitive and fun to watch. No shame in losing a good game there.

As of today I think Tampa is still the best team.

I actually think the Packers are going to win in Arizona.

I think they'd get blown out of Tampa, though.

At the end of the day this looks like its shaping up to be a normal Packer season trajectory to me - great regular season record, exit in divisional round or NFC Championship Game.

At the end of the day this looks like its shaping up to be a normal Packer season trajectory to me - great regular season record, exit in divisional round or NFC Championship Game.

Tampa hasn't had to play anyone that's competent at passing the ball since they've lost all sorts of guys in their secondary - the Rams and Stafford torched them for 343 and 4TDs back in week 3, and they've only gotten worse since then healthwise at corner and safety. I think Tampa is a really good team, but they aren't close to as good defensively as they were last year, and good passing offenses are going to be able to score on them.

I think a lot of this depends on their health at the end of the season. This defense is showing signs of being better than the D's they have had the past few seasons - if they are able to get the Smith's healthy and Jaire back, it could actually be a top 10 unit and I think that would get them over the hump

Curious if they try to bring MVS back, I had searched a bit on his injury status just a couple days ago and it sounded like he'd be out this week yet with a chance at returning the week after but if he could be ready early it would help. Obviously depends on his situation but with the short week it could have simply been strategy to get him some extra time.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32468176/aaron-rodgers-blames-sore-back-having-sleep-hotel-home-game

Hopefully the last paragraph where the “Coach Rodgers” comment is was sarcasm as playful banter, not being annoyed.

I am guessing they've had the hotel discussion a hundred times

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well, isn't that nice?

They don't know yet if he has tested positive or was just in close contact with someone who has. They have confirmed that Adams is fully vaccinated, so he just has to have two negative tests this week in order to play on Thursday night.