Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are no concerns about his injury then I really hope the Packers go for it. Not sure another impact player like him will come available as a FA mid-season this year.

You're already in cap hell moving forward so hope at this point they just keep kicking the can down the road, add on the void years and let's try to make a run knowing the next few years are going to be rough anyways.

I’m not going to get my hopes up vis-a-vis Gilmore. The Packers always seem to be bridesmaids on these big mid-season deals (and a lot of the time, that turns out just fine). I’m guessing this happens again.

But I also firmly believe New England will move heaven and earth to keep Gilmore out of the AFC and out of Tampa. So taking my cold pessimism out of this for a moment, my gut says this may be a 50/50 proposition. If the cap can further be turned into funny money, the need is definitely there.

EDIT: And NFL network just reported Gilmore is going to Carolina for a 6th rounder. Like I said, GB never seems to land these deals in-season. Silver lining, maybe there is optimism about Alexander’s shoulder.

Carolina has alot of cap room in-season to pick up a player like Gilmore and give him a good sized contract without having to do funny money cap gymnastics to make it work longterm, so that fit makes sense. What's interesting is if they indeed traded for him, Gilmore will need to stay on the PUP list a couple more weeks....had no trade happened and the Pats just released him, Gilmore could have signed elsewhere and been eligible to play as soon as this weekend.

Carolina has alot of cap room in-season to pick up a player like Gilmore and give him a good sized contract without having to do funny money cap gymnastics to make it work longterm, so that fit makes sense. What's interesting is if they indeed traded for him, Gilmore will need to stay on the PUP list a couple more weeks....had no trade happened and the Pats just released him, Gilmore could have signed elsewhere and been eligible to play as soon as this weekend.

Packers Twitter is apoplectic right now. I mean, did these people JUST start cheering for the Packers? What in this team's history made anyone think that they would make a move on Gilmore? I mean, I will admit that a sliver of me got intrigued, but it just isn't a move this team makes.

Packers Twitter is apoplectic right now. I mean, did these people JUST start cheering for the Packers? What in this team's history made anyone think that they would make a move on Gilmore? I mean, I will admit that a sliver of me got intrigued, but it just isn't a move this team makes.

Packers Twitter, and all Twitters, are always under the impression that acquiring a player is just flicking a switch that says Do You Want This Player? Yes/No.

All NFL twitter is also under the impression that their team could have replicated the exact deal that took place and it would have worked.

"You mean the Packers wouldn't give up a 6th round pick for him?!? FIRE GUTEY"

No consideration of salary cap, the players interest or the team they are dealing withs interest. Nobody knows the details but I'm at least willing to bet Gutey isn't asleep at the wheel

I think there was a reason to at least be slightly optimistic. First, this isn't TT anymore. They're willing to make moves like this now. Likely, the problem was the Packers couldn't fit him under the cap if they traded for him. If he had become a FA, I would say the chances were pretty high the Packers would have signed him. When you trade, you just have a lot less flexibility- you're dealing with the current contract. Too bad, would have been nice, but hey we got Rasul Douglas off the Cardinals' PS.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Packers considered a favorite to trade for Stephon Gilmore:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-considered-favorites-trade-stephon-142257578.html

Apparently they were a favorite to sign him if Released. New England was quite savvy here as they knew that and leaked the info and Carolina swooped in w a Draft Pick. The Packers had no means of absorbing his salary in a straight trade so they had to sign him as a FA.

Appears the Pack are, however, in the front-running to sign Jaylen Smith.

Jaylon Smith to Green Bay.

I was also hoping this would happen but figured it wouldn't.

Not a done deal. Demovsky reports still being courted by other teams. Smith has not confirmed. Packers are the leading candidate, however.

Looks like it's all but a done deal now.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-finalizing-deal-to-sign-former-cowboys-lb-jaylon-smith

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the surface I do like the move but this could be a boom or bust move. It definitely addresses a need though. Better than picking up another practice squad guy.

Odd that the Cowboys are releasing him as his entire 2021 salary was guaranteed. Why not hold on to him through the end of the year? They're only four games into the season and they're in first place. Must be something else there.

Odd that the Cowboys are releasing him as his entire 2021 salary was guaranteed. Why not hold on to him through the end of the year? They're only four games into the season and they're in first place. Must be something else there.

I think it has to do with (1) his performance - middling at best and (2) they have quite a bit of depth there and good depth at that. This definitely means Jabril Cox is entering the rotation. They were probably demoting him and he asked to be released? I dunno.

Looks like it's all but a done deal now.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-finalizing-deal-to-sign-former-cowboys-lb-jaylon-smith

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the surface I do like the move but this could be a boom or bust move. It definitely addresses a need though. Better than picking up another practice squad guy.

No matter what, it adds more talent to the MLB room in Green Bay, which is always a good idea. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle and the difference in scheme fits Smith better than being considered the lead dog of a linebacking corps at this stage in his career.

I think it has to do with (1) his performance - middling at best and (2) they have quite a bit of depth there and good depth at that. This definitely means Jabril Cox is entering the rotation. They were probably demoting him and he asked to be released? I dunno.

Cowboys employed a new defensive scheme this year, and Smith was no longer a great fit for it. They also drafted Parsons in the 1st round and Cox in the 4th, and also still have Vander Esch making huge money, so it turned into a numbers game.

Jaylon Smith is a good athlete, but he's more of a traditional MLB, while Parsons brings safety-type athleticism and coverage ability. Smith isn't the top-notch MLB he was a few years ago, but he's no doubt better than Oren Burks and Ty Summers, and quite possibly better than Barnes as well. Barnes is probably more of a thumper, but Smith is a better athlete. I've been impressed with Campbell's play so far. I thought when they signed him that he was just a guy, but he's been all over the place so far. Joe Barry's scheme is designed to make the middle backers look good, so I'm not surprised that Smith wanted to be a Packer.

Jaylon Smith reportedly signed with the Packers for the league minimum. Even if he’s just a patch for 2021, there’s some great comp pick potential there.

He’ll wear #9 for the Packers.

[sarcasm]Maybe that’ll throw off Tom Brady in the playoffs.[/sarcasm]

His 2022 salary was guaranteed for injury, so if he had sustained a major injury during the course of this season and was not 100% healthy at the beginning of the new league year, the Cowboys would have been on the hook for an additional $11.2M next season. Given they had no intention of keeping him next season, it was a pretty shrewd move on their part to just release him rather than find some other way to keep him off the field for the rest of the season.

Gruber Lawffices