Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

It's been one game. But it was an unpopular hire and there's been absolutely nothing to convince anybody otherwise, not in the preseason and certainly not last week. I think it's unlikely a guy is fired mid-year in year 1, but if they are the 29t-ranked defense I could see moving on from him quickly. Especially with next year about 95% likely to be transitional anyway.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression was that MLF wanted Barry (at least after Leonhard backed out) because he had a good impression of him from their time together in LA. I was (and I guess still am) inclined to trust his judgment on that. I mean, his best friend in the league is Robert Saleh, a great defensive coach, so I figure he has an idea of what good defensive coaching looks like. But, early returns are pretty discouraging to say the least.

Yeah, the season will essentially come down to two things...

Rodgers staying healthy / returning to effectiveness & the defense improving as the season goes on / hopefully establishing an identity besides "they suck" heading into the playoffs.

Ok, I guess that's really kinda four things, but whatever.

Carolina absolutely just torching the team that made us look like a complete joke last week.

Final stats for the Saints offense - 43 plays for 128 yards for 3 yards per play. Kamara with 5 yards rushing.

Now this is an outlier box score, but still a scathing indictment against Barry.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
nobkdy knows anything until after game 3
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Carolina absolutely just torching the team that made us look like a complete joke last week.

Final stats for the Saints offense - 43 plays for 128 yards for 3 yards per play. Kamara with 5 yards rushing.

Now this is an outlier box score, but still a scathing indictment against Barry.

With how bad of trainwreck we may have on our hands defensively, it doesn't really matter who the quarterback is or what the offense does.

If Preston can continue to play well, you have to think the Packers may save a few million and run Preston and Gary as first-team OLBs in 2022 and release Z.

After redoing PSmith's contract, his cap number is close to $20M next year. All but ensures he is cut... They could extend him to lower the cap number, but then why not just keep ZSmith then?

Packers have waived Jace Sternberger
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sounds like they are trying to get him onto their practice squad, but he's most likely going to find a home elsewhere on a 53 man roster with a bigger TE need....whether that be a direct waiver claim or simply going to a different team's practice squad.

Pretty much a wasted 3rd round draft pick a couple years ago - injuries at bad times limited his development, especially in 2019.

Sounds like they are trying to get him onto their practice squad, but he's most likely going to find a home elsewhere on a 53 man roster with a bigger TE need....whether that be a direct waiver claim or simply going to a different team's practice squad.

Pretty much a wasted 3rd round draft pick a couple years ago - injuries at bad times limited his development, especially in 2019.

Another case of "what could have been." Fortunately Robert Tonyan has become what Sternberger could have been.

Another case of "what could have been." Fortunately Robert Tonyan has become what Sternberger could have been.

Very good point on Tonyan/Sternberger.

Absolutely thought he was going to be a big deal at the time Jace was picked. Disappointed that we seem to whiff on our thirds as of late. Hopefully Rodgers breaks that trend.

"LaFleur said that he told defensive coordinator Joe Barry to either play coverage or get after the quarterback because playing man and sending just four in the first half wasn't creating any pressure. Barry started to bring pressure more in the second half and it helped."

Always a super great sign of a defensive genius when your DC has to be specifically micromanaged by your HC on how to make adjustments.

That's some good news!

I guess Packer fans will get their wish to see if Stokes > King.

It would be tough to be worse than King. I'm a lot more worried about the front seven stopping nothing and watching another game where SF throws five forward passes and wins.

That's some good news!

I guess Packer fans will get their wish to see if Stokes > King.

Even if he's not, which would be hard to believe, at least he gets a learning experience out of it. King is a lost cause now.

Early impression of the 2021 Packers through 3 games is that they are basically the same as always. Elite offense that can carry them at times. Defense that can do some things well but can't be trusted with the game on the line. Special teams with a good kicker and lousy coverage and return units.