Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Do the Bills usually wear white at home? If not, that’s such a chicken s*** move.

Why? It's fairly common for some outdoor home teams to opt for home whites during the hot summer months. Almost every team has done it at some point.

I know Jacksonville does it frequently for September home games. Some may call it gamesmanship, but it seems unsportsmanlike to me.

Eh. I wish we would do it. Home team picks their color. Why would you want your guys to be uncomfortable instead of the other team?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers under MLF have basically blown off preseason. And, IMO, rightfully so. Not worried a bit until there's any sign that that mentality carries over into September....

Not so much for the team, but its a little bit of a head scratcher seeing defenders made up of numerous bubble players just sort of standing around while Jake Fromm scrambles 13 yards in front of them for the TD.

I like the approach to the preseason. The results don't matter one bit. I'm sure they are looking at certain things in certain situations and that's about it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What did Love's INT look like? I didn't see it. Bad throw, bad decision, tipped ball?

I didn't see it either but he threw an awful pass on third down in the red zone on that 2 minute drive at the end of the half that had pick written all over it. I haven't been really impressed in what I have seen so far from him, it's always striking to me how vast a difference there is in QB play in the NFL. I have said I am ready to move on from Rodgers but that was with Love unseen, now I am hoping maybe we win the Super Bowl and that makes Rodgers and the Packers decide to bury the hatchet and stick together. Very small sample size I know and playing behind a backup oline hurts but Love looks like he has a ways to go still.

What did Love's INT look like? I didn't see it. Bad throw, bad decision, tipped ball?

I didn't see it either but he threw an awful pass on third down in the red zone on that 2 minute drive at the end of the half that had pick written all over it. I haven't been really impressed in what I have seen so far from him, it's always striking to me how vast a difference there is in QB play in the NFL. I have said I am ready to move on from Rodgers but that was with Love unseen, now I am hoping maybe we win the Super Bowl and that makes Rodgers and the Packers decide to bury the hatchet and stick together. Very small sample size I know and playing behind a backup oline hurts but Love looks like he has a ways to go still.

Wonder what he’d look like with the starting offensive line, any of the top receivers, or Jones playing with him?

Wonder what he’d look like with the starting offensive line, any of the top receivers, or Jones playing with him?

Sure but then we are just speculating that he may be OK if he was with the starters, still a huge step down from what we have in Rodgers from what I can tell. I am just calling it as I see it, maybe he has impressed in the camp reports that I don't follow as much as I used to. Looks like he has a better arm than Hundley but it seems like guys are often diving to catch his throws.

I mean this is all true but a bad decision duck throw into the endzone is a bad decision no matter who else is on the field with him. I saw the throw he is referring to but not the INT. It was just a terrible decision.

I thought Love showed some good things and promise overall in preseason, but I would concur with those saying he is likely not ready. I would think he is by this time next year if he's the guy.

Sure but then we are just speculating that he may be OK if he was with the starters, still a huge step down from what we have in Rodgers from what I can tell. I am just calling it as I see it

As you can see it by watching garbage preseason games with 4th-string caliber o-lineman are missing blocks left and right and the best receiver you're putting on the field is Malik Taylor? I mean, ok. Doesn't seem a fair test or evaluation. As I recall, Aaron didn't exactly light it up in his preseason games when he was behind Favre either....

Sure but then we are just speculating that he may be OK if he was with the starters, still a huge step down from what we have in Rodgers from what I can tell. I am just calling it as I see it

As you can see it by watching garbage preseason games with 4th-string caliber o-lineman are missing blocks left and right and the best receiver you're putting on the field is Malik Taylor? I mean, ok. Doesn't seem a fair test or evaluation. As I recall, Aaron didn't exactly light it up in his preseason games when he was behind Favre either....

Yep believe it or not I can still form an opinion even after factoring in everything you say. Time will tell, I am not giving up on him. I actually had a pretty high opinion of Rodgers' preseason and later regular season play and skills and was totally pissed that Friday we had apparently traded him for Randy Moss. :)

Yep believe it or not I can still form an opinion even after factoring in everything you say.

You certainly can. Just don't think it's fair or valid to do so based on the two games we've seen, in my opinion.

Fair enough but I did quantify it by saying that it was small sample size, backup oline, and I haven't kept up on camp reports this year. I am open to and would be encouraged by opinions from anyone who sees it different. I will have to see what Bob McGinn says...

I thought Love looked pretty good from what I saw(beginning through the int, was working). That int was a bad decision, but for going against their first team d with mostly backups pretty good. I wouldn't feel comfortable if he had to finish a season, but an emergency fill in for a game I'd be ok with that.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I like the approach to the preseason. The results don't matter one bit. I'm sure they are looking at certain things in certain situations and that's about it.

I totally agree on the offense (the Ravens are paying for it now)

On the defensive side, I don't love the idea of going into the season with very few reps with a new DC in a new system.

Love certainly didn't look transcendent, but put him out there with Jones, Adams, MVS, Tonyan and the starting O-Line, and he'll be able to move the ball. He's a good athlete, and can make all the throws. Decision making was a tad suspect, but that is common with young QBs. I have no problem with the prospect of him being the top backup and seeing meaningful time this year. Certainly a step up from the Kizers and Hundleys of the world.

I totally agree on the offense (the Ravens are paying for it now)

On the defensive side, I don't love the idea of going into the season with very few reps with a new DC in a new system.

I think that’s the benefit of returning your intact top offense. There might be some parts in the first few games that are frustrating but if the new DC is worth a damn, he will continue to make adjustments.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Comparing Love to 3-time MVP Aaron Rodgers is foolish. But please go compare Rodgers game at year 2 to Love. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the fact that Love might look better or as good so far. And that’s with a complete lost season for Love. And no, I’m not saying he is or will be better. Just a little perspective.

Comparing Love to 3-time MVP Aaron Rodgers is foolish. But please go compare Rodgers game at year 2 to Love. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the fact that Love might look better or as good so far. And that’s with a complete lost season for Love. And no, I’m not saying he is or will be better. Just a little perspective.

It doesn't really matter but I checked and Rodgers had a 101.1 passing rating in preseason year 2, he was sacked 9 times. Probably a mix of good and bad in there just like Love.

The reviews I am reading this morning are pretty positive on Love, mostly saying he just needs to clean up the mistakes under pressure. I had just never seen him play until this preseason and the bad decisions are probably effecting my opinion more than they should. The reviews note that those problems do go back to college though, its certainly a concern.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Will any of the 2021 draft class get cut? Maybe Van Lanen?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It probably depends on Bak's status. Van Lanen was pretty bad last season but the whole Badger team was, Badger lineman have a way of outperforming their draft status, hope he sticks. Maybe McDuffie on the bubble too?

Isaiah McDuffie is probably the only other 2021 draftee on the bubble and I think he’s the beneficiary of Kamal Martin’s surprising decline.

My gut says the Packers keep Van Lanen over last year’s 6th round pick Jake Hanson because they have more depth on the interior.