Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

The Bears went from a 6 win team in 2015 to a 3 win team in 2016 thanks to that Sitton signing, too....Sitton apparently played well enough to earn a Pro Bowl nod that year, but then again it's tougher to not make the Pro Bowl at some positions based on all the alternates named nowadays.

Bottom line is Sitton signed a contract after getting cut that paid him the most money, which also happened to be with a team in the Packers' own division (i.e., likely not a trade partner with GB before he was cut) and also who had a terrible enough roster to have plenty of room for a starting caliber guard and pay him $10M in guaranteed money. My guess is there are very few NFL teams ringing phones off the hook looking to trade for starting guards during training camp unless their own building has a slew of injuries at that position.

He could've been traded long before camp started. Or he could've just been kept and then the Packers would've had a better Guard that season.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, thats what you have GM for

To force another team to have an interest in trading for him?

I understand that a lot of people carry resentment for Thompson and especially how the end of his career went. But I have to admit, citing the Sitton situation as part of that is something I hadn't seen before today. Seems an odd hill to die on, just IMO.

I understand that a lot of people carry resentment for Thompson and especially how the end of his career went. But I have to admit, citing the Sitton situation as part of that is something I hadn't seen before today. Seems an odd hill to die on, just IMO.

I was a pretty big TT supporter until the bungling of that situation as it became apparent that he could no longer function in this job. Not surprisingly, he was out a year or two later. I'm shocked you never saw anyone criticize the handling of that. Did you follow the team at the time?

Back to the 2021 team...Funchess to IR, which clears up the roster picture at WR considerably

Adams

Lazard

MVS

Cobb

A. Rodgers

M. Taylor

...with a possible 7th spot for ESB or Begelton, but I'm guessing Benkert is going to require a roster spot for the 3rd QB instead.

I'm shocked you never saw anyone criticize the handling of that.

People questioned in in the moment, but much of that abated when the stuff about the locker room came out, if I recall correctly. Heck, he wasn't even in Rodgers' laundry list of departed vet players that he complained about in his press conference.

Did you follow the team at the time?

Nope, became a fan after they drafted Jordan Love, actually. :tired

Back to the 2021 team...Funchess to IR, which clears up the roster picture at WR considerably

Adams

Lazard

MVS

Cobb

A. Rodgers

M. Taylor

...with a possible 7th spot for ESB or Begelton, but I'm guessing Benkert is going to require a roster spot for the 3rd QB instead.

Disappointing news on Funchess, as I really liked how he looked early in camp and thought he might add a nice vet option to the offense.

I'm shocked you never saw anyone criticize the handling of that.

People questioned in in the moment, but much of that abated when the stuff about the locker room came out, if I recall correctly. Heck, he wasn't even in Rodgers' laundry list of departed vet players that he complained about in his press conference.

Did you follow the team at the time?

Nope, became a fan after they drafted Jordan Love, actually. :tired

Well welcome aboard if so! Starting next year, he will be the future of the franchise. Here's a good article that basically goes over the Sitton situation, written by the legendary Bob McGinn back when he was with the journal sentinel

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2016/09/10/mcginn-packers-blew-sitton-gambit/90149052/

I was a pretty big TT supporter until the bungling of that situation as it became apparent that he could no longer function in this job. Not surprisingly, he was out a year or two later. I'm shocked you never saw anyone criticize the handling of that. Did you follow the team at the time?

I remember being pretty upset initially that they didn't get anything for him. The release seemed to come out of the blue. After snippets started trickling out about him questioning management and gameplans, things became a bit more clear. When you are Aaron Rodgers, you have the leeway to get away with that stuff. No so when you're Josh Sitton. Sitton was a very good guard in his prime, but he was trending downward and was having some difficulty staying on the field by the time the Packers let him go.

I was moreso upset with how they replaced Sitton. Signing the corpse of Jahri Evans certainly wasn't the answer.

Well welcome aboard if so! Starting next year, he will be the future of the franchise. Here's a good article that basically goes over the Sitton situation, written by the legendary Bob McGinn back when he was with the journal sentinel

As I noted, it was out of the blue and considered puzzling at the time. That McGinn article was from days after it happened. If you're looking for cause/effect, perhaps you could also add it to the gradual erosion of McGinn's credibility and departure from the JS...

No one has talked about it much since until today, which, as I noted, is why it caught me by surprise.

As I noted, it was out of the blue and considered puzzling at the time. That McGinn article was from days after it happened. If you're looking for cause/effect, perhaps you could also add it to the gradual erosion of McGinn's credibility and departure from the JS...

No one has talked about it much since until today, which, as I noted, is why it caught me by surprise.

I just brought it up as it's a great example of the last regime not getting value out of an NFL level player, while this regime has.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
MVS is having a heckuva camp.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

MVS is having a heckuva camp.

It's his time for a breakout season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Funchess was released with an injury settlement. He looked really good in the first preseason game. Such a shame.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Do the Bills usually wear white at home? If not, that’s such a chicken s*** move.

Why? It's fairly common for some outdoor home teams to opt for home whites during the hot summer months. Almost every team has done it at some point.

Do the Bills usually wear white at home? If not, that’s such a chicken s*** move.

Why? It's fairly common for some outdoor home teams to opt for home whites during the hot summer months. Almost every team has done it at some point.

I know Jacksonville does it frequently for September home games. Some may call it gamesmanship, but it seems unsportsmanlike to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kylin Hill might be the steal of the draft.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006