Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, ok? It’s really dangerous to judge anything scheme-wise off of preseason.

Yeah. We have to see what happens. I just didn't care for the Barry hire at all and was hoping to be second guessing that already.

[sarcasm]Well, seems like your hopes have come true...[/sarcasm] :rolleyes

Huh? I meant I was hoping to be second guessing me not liking the hire. Obviously I'm not rooting for the defense to fail.

Have one scrimmage game with another opponent after a couple days of joint practice and one official preseason game. If they can’t tell who can play off of that, they aren’t good at their jobs.

The NFL could and should then have a minor league football league that consists of just a few teams that play a few games on like Tuesdays or something. Teams can pick guys off those teams much like a waiver wire.

I don't think the teams would want those guys beating each other up as their main purpose is emergency use due to injuries. Practice squads seem pretty logical for that reason. Having your emergency reserves getting beat up and injured weekly seems like the wrong idea.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Huh? I meant I was hoping to be second guessing me not liking the hire. Obviously I'm not rooting for the defense to fail.

Sorry, I misread your previous post. It did sound like you wanted more data in order to continue second guessing the hire decision. Glad to hear I was wrong about that. ;)

Demovsky is reporting that the Packers are releasing Kamal Martin. Obviously, you have to think there’s a giant backstory there yet to come out…..

Wowsers! Going from our biggest upside MLB prospect and thinking we had our MLB nailed down for a few years (Martin + Barnes) to cut after two preseason games... Just wow.

I figured something was up since he was working at OLB, but that was some fall... Almost like someone swapped Martin and Burks this year.

Yeah, he was reportedly one of the biggest head-turners last year, and it did seem like his in-game performance was pretty solid. Sounds like he had a poor game on Saturday, but I can't believe he'd go from big upside to cut based on a couple of preseason games. Feels like there's more there...

Agreed. Martin and Burks are very similar players (i.e. athletic, but not assignment-sure) and Burks has had years of development, trials at OLB, etc...

It was a red flag seeing Campbell rumored as the starter and more so to see Martin at OLB... but to be simply cut at the start of his second year (and taking a cap hit to boot)... wow. something blew up.

I was looking at the Packers.com depth charts during the game Saturday and he was way down there which didn't make any sense, I honestly thought he was the projected starter but apparently we signed another former Gopher. Very strange to let a guy they liked so much go so soon.

Yeah, he was reportedly one of the biggest head-turners last year, and it did seem like his in-game performance was pretty solid. Sounds like he had a poor game on Saturday, but I can't believe he'd go from big upside to cut based on a couple of preseason games. Feels like there's more there...

He suffered a knee injury (meniscus tear) at the end of camp last year. He was just never the same player after that.

Gruber Lawffices

I don't buy that a meniscus tear (very minor as knee injuries go) had any lasting impact. He looked plenty fast during the regular season (clearly faster than Barnes). In fact, if you could merge Martin's athleticism with Barnes' brain and instincts, you'd have a pro bowl MLB.

The Hollman trade was pretty shrewd (as was the Jackson trade). Reminds me of some of the moves Wolf would make. 95% of the time it probably won't have an impact, but if you have determined that someone isn't going to help your team, but still has NFL talent and you can get something for it. Why not?

Things TT nor Sherman every did (much of).

I don't buy that a meniscus tear (very minor as knee injuries go) had any lasting impact. He looked plenty fast during the regular season (clearly faster than Barnes). In fact, if you could merge Martin's athleticism with Barnes' brain and instincts, you'd have a pro bowl MLB.

The Hollman trade was pretty shrewd (as was the Jackson trade). Reminds me of some of the moves Wolf would make. 95% of the time it probably won't have an impact, but if you have determined that someone isn't going to help your team, but still has NFL talent and you can get something for it. Why not?

Things TT nor Sherman every did (much of).

Yup, the mishandling of the Sitton situation comes to mind

???

TT cut him and they got nothing. He then immediately signed a 4 year contract with plenty of guaranteed money to play for Chicago. They probably could have traded him instead if they really wanted him gone.

That failure was pretty much the point where it was clear TT needed to be replaced.

???

TT cut him and they got nothing. He then immediately signed a 4 year contract with plenty of guaranteed money to play for Chicago. They probably could have traded him instead if they really wanted him gone.

That failure was pretty much the point where it was clear TT needed to be replaced.

But that's not entirely what happened- the Packers identified that Sitton was nearing the end and did indeed cut him. He proved oft-injured and showed decline immediately with the Bears, to the point that the Bears declined their option on him just two seasons in. After the stuff about him being tool-ish in the locker room came out, it's not surprising that they moved on. Yeah, I guess you could have argued that they may have been able to get something for him, but I'd be astounded if they hadn't tried that prior to just releasing him.

???

It was widely reported the Packers did indeed try to trade Sitton before cutting him and there were no takers - perhaps in part because teams knew he was probably on the way out anyways and didn't necessarily want to be saddled with the last year of his contract knowing once he was cut they could work something out longer term that fit their own cap situation better if they really wanted Sitton.

Chicago signing him to a deal right after he was cut at the time speaks to how bad their O-line was....and their organization isn't exactly the model of personnel management I'd want Green Bay to aspire to, either.

Whether or not it was a good decision isn't the point. The point is this was NFL level talent that was valued greatly by others and GB found a way to get nothing for him. (Though for what it's worth, he did have a pff grade of 82.1 in 2016 with Lane Taylor at 66.3).

You can believe that there were no takers and no ability to trade him if you want, but I will point to the fact that he was immediately signed to a multi year contract after he was cut. The Bears were likely not the only team interested.

I am happy that we're currently finding ways to get something for guys who would've been cut anyway.

The Bears went from a 6 win team in 2015 to a 3 win team in 2016 thanks to that Sitton signing, too....Sitton apparently played well enough to earn a Pro Bowl nod that year, but then again it's tougher to not make the Pro Bowl at some positions based on all the alternates named nowadays.

Bottom line is Sitton signed a contract after getting cut that paid him the most money, which also happened to be with a team in the Packers' own division (i.e., likely not a trade partner with GB before he was cut) and also who had a terrible enough roster to have plenty of room for a starting caliber guard and pay him $10M in guaranteed money. My guess is there are very few NFL teams ringing phones off the hook looking to trade for starting guards during training camp unless their own building has a slew of injuries at that position.

Will Redmond placed on IR.

The Packers could come to an injury settlement with him. Tough break there, Redmond was good depth.

I think he was pretty close to not making the roster anyway. Scott and Black look at least as strong as Redmond, but younger, cheaper and more upside. Gaines is also an interesting player that might squeeze his way in depending on how the last roster spots fall.