Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have no idea what kind of cap room GB has these days. It seems to change with the weather. But I think they have room to pick up guys that get released later on in camp.

With the tackle they also picked up yesterday - a pretty good signing in my mind - I think they would have to be pretty tight against the cap

I think he signed for the veteran minimum.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what kind of cap room GB has these days. It seems to change with the weather. But I think they have room to pick up guys that get released later on in camp.

With the tackle they also picked up yesterday - a pretty good signing in my mind - I think they would have to be pretty tight against the cap

I think he signed for the veteran minimum.

That feels like a steal for a guy who started every game last year for the titans

That feels like a steal for a guy who started every game last year for the titans

Although even with that Gute said this morning they are right up against the cap. If they want to make a move of some kind they'll probably have to release a high price guy.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
There are going to be some tough cuts this year. A lot of guys they cut loose will end up getting on the field for other teams this season.

It will be interesting. They are as deep talent wise as any, but talent is only one third of a SB winning team. Good coaching/game-planning and team unity are the other two thirds.

After this offseason, it will be interesting to see how unified we are as a team. Small chinks in the armor can derail the season.

There are going to be some tough cuts this year. A lot of guys they cut loose will end up getting on the field for other teams this season.

Hopefully they can pull a few Reggie Gilbert's and Caleb Schlauderaff's and make some trades for some 6th/7th round picks.

It will be interesting. They are as deep talent wise as any, but talent is only one third of a SB winning team. Good coaching/game-planning and team unity are the other two thirds.

After this offseason, it will be interesting to see how unified we are as a team. Small chinks in the armor can derail the season.

I’d say luck is a huge component. Either by a few lucky bounces of the ball or by not getting huge injuries. Or both.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Luck...yes, sort of. To some extent, you make your own luck. But there are elements completely out of the team's control - ref calls, weird ball bounces, etc...

But I was speaking more of the things you can control.

I think they've been lucky with a lack of injuries...that sort of caught up to them with Bahktiari at the end of last season.

Clay rushing the passer 10-15 times a game? What’s that worth?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Clay rushing the passer 10-15 times a game? What’s that worth?

League minimum is realistically all he would get and I would think they could use him at inside LB more than as an edge. I think Rodgers and a few vets just having some fun, sort of late for this unless CM3 just decided he wants to come back and play this year at the last minute. He is 35.

There were serious deficiencies in his game due to age-related decline when his initial tenure with Green Bay ended, and I can only assume it's gotten worse. He was more of a liability than an asset in the run defense by then, and he was never really great in coverage, IIRC. I really think we've got a solid Edge rotation as-is right now, so I'm not sure wasting a roster spot on it makes sense unless his time off has given him some fresher legs or something to that effect.

I thought he was still solid his last year and wanted him back but not at what the Rams paid him but who knows, the team was pretty awful that year. The Rams released him despite having 8 sacks in 13 games so they saw something they didn't like. It would probably take a lot of PED's for him to contribute...

I've defended Rodgers and I loved Cobb and CM3, but I sure hope when his playing days are over he becomes GM of the Bears or Vikings.

Thats exactly what I posted the instant he got through that word salad of an initial presser a few weeks ago.

Matthews at this stage in his career shouldn't take snaps away from anyone on this roster at OLB, regardless of what he is paid...the only fit I could see him at would be as a MLB, and thats a stretch because he's not best at that position.

I’d like to see Love with actual NFL players surrounding him before making any assessment.

I’d like to see Love with actual NFL players surrounding him before making any assessment.

I think it's too early to make any assessment about his career for sure, but he was always drafted to be a project and I don't think he was ever a guy who was going to be ready to go a year into development like Mahomes. I don't think the Packers think he is there yet either. They've essentially said so themselves.

I think it's too early to make any assessment about his career for sure, but he was always drafted to be a project and I don't think he was ever a guy who was going to be ready to go a year into development like Mahomes. I don't think the Packers think he is there yet either. They've essentially said so themselves.

I do agree that this wouldn’t be a good year to play him. I was more so making an observation about who is out there tonight.