Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There was some discussion of Rodgers maybe going to tonight's bucks game. I wasn't paying 100% attention, but didn't see him shown or mentioned on TV. Anyone know if he was there or not?

Wasn't there. Probably smartt move on his part. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is upstage the Bucks in the NBA Finals.

That said, a Rodgers Game 6 appearance wouldn't surprise me.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to take the massive extension if it exists because it buys out a year of risk while also giving him a raise. No almost-30-year-old athlete is turning that down if he has any half-decent representation, unless he's miserable where he is. He's at the age where I'm half hoping it doesn't work out because I think there's a very good chance this ends up being a pain in the Packers side, but they've been pretty good at this so they'll probably build in an out when he's about 32.

The whole guaranteed money thing is big here too. If he feels he can get a lot more guaranteed money on the open market (which he should) AND play for a QB/team that is relevant, he could easily wait (or risk) a year. If he is that concerned about injury, I’m sure he can invest in a policy that covers part of that risk.

The whole uncertainty of Rodgers, though, makes me doubt the extension.

Or he wouldn't even get to the open market because the Packers would just slap the franchise tag on him and now he's suddenly in his 30s with a dryer market because he's two years older.

He'll likely be extended this year, and it's probably wise on his part not to wait.

Thank you. I've seen a lot of talk in the last week or so questioning if Adams will sign an extension, does he want to be here if Rodgers isn't, etc. and not only here on this board but I haven't really seen anyone mention the franchise tag. Ball is in the Packers court, even if they want to move on from Rodgers after this season it's probably to their benefit to sign or tag Adams because they could still trade him in the event they'd rather not have his salary with a QB like Love leading the offense. I think they'd still want him it's just that they'll have options. It's likely much better than letting him walk for draft pick compensation.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Adams is just as likely to catch 100 passes with Rodgers as with Love or whoever the QB is. If anything he catches more with Love than with a QB who is capable of running 5-WR sets. Only thing Adams loses if Rodgers is gone is being on a for-sure SB contending team. But how many of those teams exist as well as have the ability to make him the highest-paid WR?

Every reason for Rodgers to think if he complained he'd get his way. And he may still get it. LeBron has been the defacto GM of every team he's been on and I'd venture to guess whatever Giannis would have attached to "I'll only sign an extension if ____" that he'd have gotten it.

• 2 weeks later...
And the Packers are trading for Cobb. Ridiculous
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't have a problem with the Cobb trade - so long as the team thinks he can contribute in a meaningful way. I've felt they team has missed someone like him since he left. It's why I think the drafting of Amari Rodgers is intriguing.

So if the team thinks Cobb can come back and do some good - I'm all for it. That said, 30+ year old WRs usually don't age well - so I'm not expecting a ton.

I'm assuming the cost will not be much, and Cobb will restructure his deal.

I just don't want a Jimmy Graham situation - aging veteran who just isn't that good anymore.

How do you get hurt before practice?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This Cobb thing doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Cobb looked pretty useful watching the Cowboys and Texans the last two years. When it comes to minor WRs on the roster I will take whatever preference and relationship a QB has. Just seems like a more productive outcome as long as we aren’t dumping high potential guys to keep said player.

James Jones wasn’t that good, but that QB/WR combo far outperformed his actual talent at WR.

Put your big boy pants on, Eric Stokes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

5 million for Cobb is a decent chunk of change when the cap is already low and so much money is locked up into a few guys. We had the number 1 offense last year and are bringing almost every skill position player back and adding a couple rookies. On defense our dline is still below average. Would have much rather seen this money spent there

I love Cobb from his previous time here but his injury history and having just drafted a another guy who seems like exclusively a slot wr makes me less excited

It's August. We're not picking up a DL for $5 million that will put us over the hump. Any such addition will be Howard Green-esque waiver wire fodder.

This add is completely situational. It's not like there's an above average DL waiting to be picked up by the Packers for $5 million and a 6th round pick. He's a minor vet addition that fills a need, provides leadership and makes Rodgers a little less crabby. It's not like we traded a first for Julio Jones for Rodgers. It's fine.

It's August. We're not picking up a DL for $5 million that will put us over the hump. Any such addition will be Howard Green-esque waiver wire fodder.

Jurrell Casey would look pretty good in our dline rotation. Kuwann short and geno Atkins are guys you could bring in coming off injury plagued seasons -similar to Cobb they have durability and declining production concerns but are at perceivably a much bigger position of need. Or you could go KJ Wright at lb

I fully hope Cobb proves me wrong but after drafting Rodgers slot wr was way down the list for me. Even an outside guy would have made way more sense with limited funds.

I think going into the year assuming a rookie WR will fill a slot WR void is a mistake. It's certainly possible, but it's extremely common for rookie WR to struggle and catch like 12 passes. It's usually a position that takes a couple seasons to adapt to from college to pro.

I'm not in love with Randall Cobb, but mostly because we overpaid him years ago. I just think the Packers saw this as addressing a need and coincidentally pleasing Rodgers. I don't think they went out got a guy they don't like solely because of Rodgers.

5 million for Cobb is a decent chunk of change when the cap is already low and so much money is locked up into a few guys. We had the number 1 offense last year and are bringing almost every skill position player back and adding a couple rookies. On defense our dline is still below average. Would have much rather seen this money spent there

I love Cobb from his previous time here but his injury history and having just drafted a another guy who seems like exclusively a slot wr makes me less excited

According to Tom Silverstein from the JS, Cobb's cap charge will be under $3 million. I do no to know the ins and outs of capology, but I assume he is correct there, so I'll take him at his word. Cobb at a cap charge that low really isn't a big deal, especially if Rodgers is adjusting his contract to provide more flexibility.

I too would like to see more depth on the D-line, but the options at this point are somewhat limited. Perhaps they'll work out a deal trading from one of their positions of strength (WR, TE, G) for a DT at the end of camp.

I think going into the year assuming a rookie WR will fill a slot WR void is a mistake. It's certainly possible, but it's extremely common for rookie WR to struggle and catch like 12 passes. It's usually a position that takes a couple seasons to adapt to from college to pro.

I'm not in love with Randall Cobb, but mostly because we overpaid him years ago. I just think the Packers saw this as addressing a need and coincidentally pleasing Rodgers. I don't think they went out got a guy they don't like solely because of Rodgers.

Man we saw a lot of rookie wrs have an impact last year even with very little training camp but I see your point. The thing for me is even without a good slot wr we sti had an elite offense last year. Our run d has been an Achilles heel for a while. Just feels like way more if a need and there were guys of cobb's caliber in my mind out there at that position.

According to Tom Silverstein from the JS, Cobb's cap charge will be under $3 million. I do no to know the ins and outs of capology, but I assume he is correct there, so I'll take him at his word. Cobb at a cap charge that low really isn't a big deal, especially if Rodgers is adjusting his contract to provide more flexibility.

I too would like to see more depth on the D-line, but the options at this point are somewhat limited. Perhaps they'll work out a deal trading from one of their positions of strength (WR, TE, G) for a DT at the end of camp.

That 3 million number is better than the 5 million I read this morning. I keep seeing Houston is paying 3 million and we are paying 5 but maybe some of that is spread out differently

That 3 million number is better than the 5 million I read this morning. I keep seeing Houston is paying 3 million and we are paying 5 but maybe some of that is spread out differently

Yes, Cobb had a guaranteed salary of $8 million plus which Houston is absorbing $3 million but the Packers were also going to restructure Cobb's deal to lower his cap hit, I assume that's how they've arrived at the around $3 million total. I doubt the full details have been reported yet but Silverstein is probably right.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I have no idea what kind of cap room GB has these days. It seems to change with the weather. But I think they have room to pick up guys that get released later on in camp.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have no idea what kind of cap room GB has these days. It seems to change with the weather. But I think they have room to pick up guys that get released later on in camp.

With the tackle they also picked up yesterday - a pretty good signing in my mind - I think they would have to be pretty tight against the cap