Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/06/nfl-suspends-packers-te-jace-sternberger#ref=home

Sternberger suspended for 2 games for substance abuse policy violation. Not a good thing for a guy who has already been behind the 8 ball in his development.

Not really the worst thing in the world. He can still participate in camp and preseason games. It essentially turns into a 54th roster spot that allows them to either evaluate someone else the first two weeks, or gives them insurance at the TE position should there be an injury. It's somewhat likely that Sternberger wouldn't crack the top 3 TEs (Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara/Daffney) coming out of camp, but who knows where the health is going to be at that position by Week 3?

Wow, that is really looking for that silver lining. ;)

For the non-positive view... it is really a bad indicator on a guy that has been struggling to see the field. Guys only get so many chances.

It appears that this incident happened before last season. Part of me wonders if perhaps that played into Sternberger not being as big a part of the offense as expected last year.

Perhaps a silver lining, but it also means they don't have to make a decision on a bubble guy at cutdown time. Depth is good.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is/was on anti-depressants and ended up drinking and driving and fell asleep behind the wheel.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/10/packers-te-jace-sternberger-explains-reason-for-2-game-suspension/

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Adams negotiating a huge extension with Packers?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Why would he want to do that if Rodgers is gone?

Because he's 28 years old and this will be the last enormous payday of his career so if they are backing up the brinks truck in guaranteed money I doubt he cares much who will be throwing him the ball.

Because he's 28 years old and this will be the last enormous payday of his career so if they are backing up the brinks truck in guaranteed money I doubt he cares much who will be throwing him the ball.

Thirty one other teams can back up that truck too. He's probably going to be tagged, unfortunately for him and he'll be saddled with having to play with Love.

Community Moderator

Thirty one other teams can back up that truck too. He's probably going to be tagged, unfortunately for him and he'll be saddled with having to play with the Packers’ 3rd straight HOF QB instead of the 2nd.

Fixed it for you! :)

Thirty one other teams can back up that truck too. He's probably going to be tagged, unfortunately for him and he'll be saddled with having to play with the Packers’ 3rd straight HOF QB instead of the 2nd.

Fixed it for you! :)

Boom! There it is! :)

Players always push for the big payday when they can. If Adams tore his ACL this year then what? Just because he signed a contract doesn't mean he can't push for a trade [sarcasm]if Love doesn't live up to the HOF expectations[/sarcasm].

If we can agree on a couple of things, I think Davante Adams would do OK in Green Bay in 2022 whether the quarterback is Rodgers or Love.

We just need to agree:

1. Adams can get open against anyone.

2. Matt LaFleur's offense does a better job getting the ball to their playmakers than Mike McCarthy's.

3. Jordan Love is better than Brett Hundley.

I realize the jury is still out on Love, but if his floor is "better than Brett Hundley", Adams can do damage with Love playing quarterback. Adams caught 45 for 545 and 5 touchdowns in 8 games catching passes from Brett Hundley in Mike McCarthy's offense. I could see Adams playing the Sterling Sharpe role Sharpe played for Favre when he was getting his feet wet in '92-'94. If that's the case, he's going to catch a lot of passes for a lot of yards and score a lot of touchdowns.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I want Rodgers playing QB this year because we have a chance to win a Super Bowl right now, but when I think about this summer it's awfully hard to think of him as anything other than a massive tool.

He knew full well he would not sit out the season if he wasn't traded, and he had to know the Packers had about a .01% chance of trading him. It boils this entire thing down to him putting on a show of wah-wah for no real reason other than people knowing he is upset. Like a little 6-year-old would. The end result is probably exactly what it would have been, him playing somewhere else in 2022. I'd probably care more about his feeling if we'd actually won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years. And I know things could and likely will be far worse than they have been, but I am just ready to move on from the guy.

I want Rodgers playing QB this year because we have a chance to win a Super Bowl right now, but when I think about this summer it's awfully hard to think of him as anything other than a massive tool.

He knew full well he would not sit out the season if he wasn't traded, and he had to know the Packers had about a .01% chance of trading him. It boils this entire thing down to him putting on a show of wah-wah for no real reason other than people knowing he is upset. Like a little 6-year-old would. The end result is probably exactly what it would have been, him playing somewhere else in 2022. I'd probably care more about his feeling if we'd actually won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years. And I know things could and likely will be far worse than they have been, but I am just ready to move on from the guy.

No way can we trade him this year…. The picks are for next year anyways. If he wants to come back, welcome him. If he doesn’t, what more can the Packers do right now? He doesn’t lose much trade value in a year. I’m fine if the Packers make a point and never trade him too.

He knew full well he would not sit out the season if he wasn't traded, and he had to know the Packers had about a .01% chance of trading him. It boils this entire thing down to him putting on a show of wah-wah for no real reason other than people knowing he is upset.

This is basically where I've been since day one. Despite the media and some fans' puzzling belief that he'd actually retire, there was a zero% chance of that, and as you noted, only a slightly higher chance that they'd trade him, as in the end it's best for both parties for Rodgers to play in Green Bay next year.

Looking forward to the inevitable, somewhat magical and extremely vague on details stories about 'coming together' or 'having worked through their differences', which are sure to come in the next couple of weeks as we reach camp, despite the fact that I doubt anything has actually been worked through.

Davante Adams probably does not really want to be here if Rodgers is gone or at least not very excited about the idea...but he probably wants tens of millions of dollars more than caring who throws him the ball.

Davante Adams probably does not really want to be here if Rodgers is gone or at least not very excited about the idea...but he probably wants tens of millions of dollars more than caring who throws him the ball.

Perhaps if he IS willing to be here, it's because that he too likes what he's seen out of Love in practices?

Perhaps if he IS willing to be here, it's because that he too likes what he's seen out of Love in practices?

I mean, if you think that would really sway him to stay or leave. I mean on the flip side maybe this is only happening because Adams knows from Rodgers that he is coming back.

Guessing it is the fact money is money. NFL players love to talk about winning, but lets be honest...they follow the money truck.

Adams cares probably 90% about the size of his next contract and 10% about who the QB is during that contract. Not that I spite him for it. It's his livelihood. But this is going to be his last big payday regardless of who is QB. Just my opinion.

Absolutely. He deserves to be paid and should be.

Getting paid now is far more an indication that he wants security (i.e. in case of injury) than who will be toting the rock come week 1. Julio Jones was just traded. Doesn't mean Adams is "stuck" here if he wants out later.

Adams cares probably 90% about the size of his next contract and 10% about who the QB is during that contract. Not that I spite him for it. It's his livelihood. But this is going to be his last big payday regardless of who is QB. Just my opinion.

10%? I hear ya about the size of contract, but quality of team and especially QB can make the game fun and one’s personal game extra productive. Count me shocked if Adams is extended in the preseason.

He's going to take the massive extension if it exists because it buys out a year of risk while also giving him a raise. No almost-30-year-old athlete is turning that down if he has any half-decent representation, unless he's miserable where he is. He's at the age where I'm half hoping it doesn't work out because I think there's a very good chance this ends up being a pain in the Packers side, but they've been pretty good at this so they'll probably build in an out when he's about 32.

He's going to take the massive extension if it exists because it buys out a year of risk while also giving him a raise. No almost-30-year-old athlete is turning that down if he has any half-decent representation, unless he's miserable where he is. He's at the age where I'm half hoping it doesn't work out because I think there's a very good chance this ends up being a pain in the Packers side, but they've been pretty good at this so they'll probably build in an out when he's about 32.

The whole guaranteed money thing is big here too. If he feels he can get a lot more guaranteed money on the open market (which he should) AND play for a QB/team that is relevant, he could easily wait (or risk) a year. If he is that concerned about injury, I’m sure he can invest in a policy that covers part of that risk.

The whole uncertainty of Rodgers, though, makes me doubt the extension.

The whole guaranteed money thing is big here too. If he feels he can get a lot more guaranteed money on the open market (which he should) AND play for a QB/team that is relevant, he could easily wait (or risk) a year. If he is that concerned about injury, I’m sure he can invest in a policy that covers part of that risk.

The whole uncertainty of Rodgers, though, makes me doubt the extension.

Or he wouldn't even get to the open market because the Packers would just slap the franchise tag on him and now he's suddenly in his 30s with a dryer market because he's two years older.

He'll likely be extended this year, and it's probably wise on his part not to wait.

There was some discussion of Rodgers maybe going to tonight's bucks game. I wasn't paying 100% attention, but didn't see him shown or mentioned on TV. Anyone know if he was there or not?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."