Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Adam Schefter reporting the Packers have signed Blake Bortles. I like this move as a good veteran backup.

I think I’d rather have Tim Boyle.

This is a good, low risk move in a vacuum, but now we have to listen to the media imply the Packers will be downgrading to Blake Bortles.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking they might go with Nick Mullens or Blaine Gabbert. Bortles is ok I guess, it's possible he simply agreed to the cheapest deal.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Adam Schefter reporting the Packers have signed Blake Bortles. I like this move as a good veteran backup.

This is a good, low risk move in a vacuum, but now we have to listen to the media imply the Packers will be downgrading to Blake Bortles.

Yeah I still have no idea why they let Boyle go.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Week 1: at Saints

Week 2: Lions

Week 3: at 49ers (SNF)

Week 4: Steelers

Week 5:

Week 6:

Week 7: Washington Football Team

Week 8:

Week 9: at Chiefs

Week 10: Seahawks

Week 11: at Vikings

Week 12: Rams

Week 13:

Week 14: Bears

Week 15:

Week 16: Browns (Christmas Day)

Week 17: Vikings

Week 18: at Lions

Money. He signed for $2.5 million I believe.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Money. He signed for $2.5 million I believe.

Right but they could have cut him at the end of camp and it would have counted 0 towards the cap.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't get this. Bortles played on some bad Jacksonville teams. His first two years they gave up more sacks than any other team in the league. He's no Pro Bowl QB, but I highly doubt that Boyle is better than him.

Fun fact - in 2015 Bortles led the league in game winning drives. He had more game winning drives that year (4) than Rodgers has had in any year of his career. In no way, shape, or form am I saying he's anywhere near as good as Rodgers; I'm pointing that out to show that he isn't terrible.

Thought I'd start the schedule talk since it will be released in a few hours.

So far we have us opening in New Orleans and hosting Cleveland Christmas Day, which is a Friday. I'm sure more games will be leaked early.

Christmas is a Saturday :)

Yeah, I noticed that before. Must've been looking at Christmas Eve.

• 4 weeks later...
Jordan Love had a good two minutes drill! Everyone rejoice!

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/06/nfl-suspends-packers-te-jace-sternberger#ref=home

Sternberger suspended for 2 games for substance abuse policy violation. Not a good thing for a guy who has already been behind the 8 ball in his development.

Not really the worst thing in the world. He can still participate in camp and preseason games. It essentially turns into a 54th roster spot that allows them to either evaluate someone else the first two weeks, or gives them insurance at the TE position should there be an injury. It's somewhat likely that Sternberger wouldn't crack the top 3 TEs (Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara/Daffney) coming out of camp, but who knows where the health is going to be at that position by Week 3?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/06/nfl-suspends-packers-te-jace-sternberger#ref=home

Sternberger suspended for 2 games for substance abuse policy violation. Not a good thing for a guy who has already been behind the 8 ball in his development.

Not really the worst thing in the world. He can still participate in camp and preseason games. It essentially turns into a 54th roster spot that allows them to either evaluate someone else the first two weeks, or gives them insurance at the TE position should there be an injury. It's somewhat likely that Sternberger wouldn't crack the top 3 TEs (Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara/Daffney) coming out of camp, but who knows where the health is going to be at that position by Week 3?

Wow, that is really looking for that silver lining. ;)

For the non-positive view... it is really a bad indicator on a guy that has been struggling to see the field. Guys only get so many chances.