Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

I'd be upset with King's signing if that is all they do with the CB position, but I'd put money that we will see a CB drafted and probably a top 3 round pick. Still wouldn't shock me to see a double CB draft too. I mentioned before, King patches a gaping hole at starting CB, but doesn't mean they can't still improve it.

Yes this is, I think, where many are in regards to King, that he should definitely not be the only move. I think a lot of us are expecting they address the position in the draft at the very least. But I guess I could see harsher critics of the move feeling like the Packers seem to be on another planet when it comes to expected moves in the draft. Hopefully they don't throw us another curve ball but I feel like they've never been shy about drafting CBs in the past.

OSS I get what you're saying too, I think there are a handful of guys I'd feel pretty bad about losing from this team, King definitely wasn't one of them. I'm hoping the plan isn't just bringing him back and keeping things status quo. New DC so we'll see.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be upset with King's signing if that is all they do with the CB position, but I'd put money that we will see a CB drafted and probably a top 3 round pick. Still wouldn't shock me to see a double CB draft too. I mentioned before, King patches a gaping hole at starting CB, but doesn't mean they can't still improve it.

My guess is they took a look at what was available in FA, saw it would either cost too much or require more years than they wanted to give, and decided to go with the devil they knew. Also, dropping King and expecting a rookie corner to match his performance is a massive risk (regardless of what you think of King). I'll be disappointed if they don't draft one to take over in 2022.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Random diversion here but has anyone looked at the Packers 2021 opponents? Holy soft schedule Batman. They did luck out drawing the Saints on the road. I looked it up because some blog referred to it as "brutal." I guess overall it's probably close to average, but there is not a lot in that schedule that scares me too much.

I don't put a ton of stock in schedule strength anyway, but at least for now, it looks favorable. They get the Rams at home, Pitt/Bal, meh, there's some tough games but nothing that looks automatically rough right out of the gate.

Who did we keep that he thought we would lose? Aaron Jones? I guess maybe Preston Smith? He did indeed lose Linsley and I doubt he cares one iota about whether or not King is here.

Jones yes was a big surprise and maybe Rodgers thought for certain he'd be gone and that's mostly who he's referring to.

Jones is an enormous keep that I think any realistic person thought was looong gone. He's a very versatile player that has just flat out produced and knows how to get the ball in the end zone. I think they could have overcame losing him but it's huge bonus to get him back. The "RBs aren't valuable" pendulum seems to have swung so far, that I think the really good ones are now undervalued.

Who did we keep that he thought we would lose? Aaron Jones? I guess maybe Preston Smith? He did indeed lose Linsley and I doubt he cares one iota about whether or not King is here.

Jones yes was a big surprise and maybe Rodgers thought for certain he'd be gone and that's mostly who he's referring to.

I don't know. I did not ask him. :laughing Maybe he really thought there would be a tear down of the team from this past two seasons? Either way, I thought the point is there that it was a concern of Rodgers and it is a concern that was taken care of quite well considering the cap situation. It'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on that.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Packers re-sign Marcedes Lewis. It appears they are serious about getting pretty much the whole gang back together. Makes pretty substantial sense considering how well the team played last season, and how well it seemed to gel both on the field and off considering the circumstances.

Lewis got 2/8. There is no way Lewis is worth 2/8 as a blocking TE.

I would have to think this is structured in a way in which the second year will never come into play and the first year will have a very low cap number.

Considering he's been on one-year deals (I think) his whole time in GB, I agree that year two is a phantom year. I'd expect his cap number to be what it was in the past, which I believe has been about $2m.

EDIT: His cap numbers in GB are $2.1, 2.3, and 2.1, so that's likely the limit on what he'll count at.

Lewis got 2/8. There is no way Lewis is worth 2/8 as a blocking TE.

I would have to think this is structured in a way in which the second year will never come into play and the first year will have a very low cap number.

I imagine your suspicions will prove correct. Apparently only $4 million is guaranteed, so I'm guessing a cap number of $2-2.5 million again. Kicking a little more money down the road.

I know that the cap is likely to increase for 2022, but it appears that they are looking at quite a bit of reckoning at the end of next season.

If 4 million is guaranteed that's an absolute head scratcher, because then we're basically going to be paying him 1/4, even if it's not all charged this year. How does the market for Lewis nearly double at age 36 in a depressed market in which we don't have a major need for Lewis and he didn't do anything significant that his market would have changed? Why wouldn't this just be 1 year for around 2M and done?

If 4 million is guaranteed that's an absolute head scratcher, because then we're basically going to be paying him 1/4, even if it's not all charged this year. How does the market for Lewis nearly double at age 36 in a depressed market in which we don't have a major need for Lewis and he didn't do anything significant that his market would have changed? Why wouldn't this just be 1 year for around 2M and done?

If it's actually 4 million guaranteed, it's actually a two-year deal with cap numbers of 2 point whatever each year, in all likelihood.

He could have told the team "give me a bump in pay, or I'm done." I imagine a 37-year-old TE has a lot of wear and tear on his body, and he's likely made enough where he could comfortably retire. Apparently the Packers valued his role in the offense and the locker room enough to not only coax him back, but give him a nice raise. He seems like a good dude, has a huge amount of respect in the locker room, and has a pretty important role in the offense despite his age. I don't have any issue with this.

He could have told the team "give me a bump in pay, or I'm done." I imagine a 37-year-old TE has a lot of wear and tear on his body, and he's likely made enough where he could comfortably retire. Apparently the Packers valued his role in the offense and the locker room enough to not only coax him back, but give him a nice raise. He seems like a good dude, has a huge amount of respect in the locker room, and has a pretty important role in the offense despite his age. I don't have any issue with this.

So let him walk. He's ancient and plays a minimal role in the offense. Not the kind of guy who you can let hold you hostage for a nearly 100% raise as a 4th TE. There's times when tough business decisions just need to be made even for guys that you like. You've got Tonyan back and DeGuara will play a role this year and you still have some promise with Sternberger. There's just no need for this at 4M.

If it's 2.1M, fine. I'm going to assume at this point that either the 2.1 figure is correct or the 4M includes some sort of guarantee which is actually *not* guaranteed like a roster bonus for 2022.

So let him walk. He's ancient and plays a minimal role in the offense. Not the kind of guy who you can let hold you hostage for a nearly 100% raise as a 4th TE. There's times when tough business decisions just need to be made even for guys that you like. You've got Tonyan back and DeGuara will play a role this year and you still have some promise with Sternberger. There's just no need for this at 4M.

If it's 2.1M, fine. I'm going to assume at this point that either the 2.1 figure is correct or the 4M includes some sort of guarantee which is actually *not* guaranteed like a roster bonus for 2022.

He played over 400 snaps last year, so I'd disagree that his role was minimal, despite not catching a lot of balls. If any of those other guys were above-average blockers, he might be expendable, but they are all more receiving TEs, even though Tonyan has apparently improved his blocking.

Conflicting reports of $4million guaranteed vs. $2.1 guaranteed. $2.1 makes a lot of sense based on his previous details...

Even better

I'm assuming that both figures are technically correct and the 2.1M is actually guaranteed and the other 1.9M is part of a roster bonus for 2022 that they call guarantees for some reason even when they're not.

I probably shouldn't have said "minimal" role as he did indeed play a lot of snaps but I think he plays a lot less if DeGuara wasn't on IR. By minimal role I was saying someone who could be replaced and the offense probably wouldn't be affected much. He's known for run blocking though so maybe they feel he's really important to Jones' outside run game and now with Jones back they want to make sure Lewis stays in place as well.

Either way, I don't think he's getting 4M but we'll see.

Conflicting reports of $4million guaranteed vs. $2.1 guaranteed. $2.1 makes a lot of sense based on his previous details...

Even better

I'm assuming that both figures are technically correct and the 2.1M is actually guaranteed and the other 1.9M is part of a roster bonus for 2022 that they call guarantees for some reason even when they're not.

I'm pretty sure it actually has to be guaranteed to be called guaranteed in the NFL. Hence, a roster bonus, unless it's payable immediately, isn't guaranteed.

I see a lot of contracts that have figures stated both as *guaranteed* and *fully guaranteed*.

Maybe some of his 2022 salary is guaranteed for injury only?

Are those terms actually different, though, or just people using the same terms interchangeably? My understanding is, and has always been, that the money can't be conditional in any way, (I.E., you need to be on a roster to get a roster bonus). I obviously could be completely wrong on that, I acknowledge though.